Here be Dragons

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Here be Dragons

Post by stranger »

Thank you for Galactic Almanac info! Seems very interesting, I'll try it. Since beginning of 2021 I has only occasional visits to Ooniverse. Lack of time was not the only reason. Hope now I'll return. :D
About Useful MFDs - I need time to look it, OK?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

stranger wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:16 am
About Useful MFDs - I need time to look it, OK?
Thanks! I had a look and compared it with your MFD, but it was too different from it for me to work out what the issue was.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Well. Regarding Useful MFDs. Seems solar wind flux is calculated and indicated correctly if your ship remains in the same system after launch from main station. But after hyperjump to another system Useful MFDs gives wrong readings. It is pretty obvious comparing readings from Advanced System Data MFD in Sun Gear and General Info MFD in Useful MFDs. In my two test flights I has unreally high values for solar wind flux like hundreds LY/min, having distance to sun 20 sun radii or so.
I still have no understanding of this value behaviour. It tends to gradually drop from such unrealistically high value, but it remains wrong and useless value.
I don't see evident errors in Useful MFDs script. It updates sun system data after arrival to new system. But it gives wrong value.
I still have no idea how to localize error and fix it without breaking structure of original code. So the temporal solution will be to just block display of wrong value commenting Line 93 of original code:

Code: Select all

if (solarwind != null) txt += ", Solar Wind: "+solarwind.toFixed(3)+" LY/min";
line 93 with added comment

Code: Select all

// if (solarwind != null) txt += ", Solar Wind: "+solarwind.toFixed(3)+" LY/min";
Formula of calculation solar flux value is simple:
Solar flux, LY/min = (Sun Radius / Sun Distance)^2 * Sun corona flare * Ship speed
So if you have distance to sun equal 20 sun radii and sun corona flare 0.2, for Cobra Mk III on full speed you'll have (1/20)^2 * 0.2 * 350 = 0.175 LY/min.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I was intrigued by this AddOn, so this afternoon I did something I had sworn I would never do - started up Oolite for the first time in nine years. And, Here be Dragons didn't work. I could see the data screen just as normal. So, I checked the log, found this:-
18:44:49.234 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Here be Dragons 1.0): TypeError: this.$explorerClub_data is null
18:44:49.234 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: D:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.stranger.HereBeDragons.oxz/Scripts/here_be_dragons.js,
line 63.
19:07:48.469 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Here be Dragons 1.0): TypeError: this.$explorerClub_data is null
19:07:48.469 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: D:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.stranger.HereBeDragons.oxz/Scripts/here_be_dragons.js,
line 51.
19:08:43.538 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Here be Dragons 1.0): TypeError: this.$explorerClub_data is null
- opened the script, and never got to line 51, because right at the top I found this:-
this.startUpComplete = function() // set map after System Makeup processed planet textures!
{
this.$explorerClub_data = JSON.parse(missionVariables.explorerClub_record);
this.$setupSystemDisplay();
this.$setupLocalDisplay();
}
You're trying to copy a mission variable before it exists. MVs are created* when the player saves the game for the first time. So, I came to tell you about it, and discovered you already knew...
stranger wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 am
Here be Dragons has some oddities.
If you already have oolite-save with Explorer’s Club written data, Here be Dragons will import it and show map as intended. But if you create new pilot there are no any Explorer’s Club data in memory and Here be Dragons will display all systems with full info. Just save and load to fix it.
Another minor issue – Here be Dragons synchronizes with Explorer’s Club data only after restarting from oolite-save. You may visit several systems en route and Explorer’s Club will mark these systems as visited, but Here be Dragons will treat these systems as unvisited yet and hide such systems beyond 7 LY horizon. The same solution: save and load. Or take it easy. It is not bug, it is feature. Synchronization of your private navigation database with Galcop database possibly requires restart of your ship software.
Now, I think the thing to do is, from within your startUpComplete function, reach into the Explorers' Club script and tickle its playerWillSaveGame so it creates the mission variables when you need them. Thus:
worldScripts["Explorers Club"].playerWillSaveGame();
But, don't trust anything I write - I haven't looked at this stuff in 9 years. :D

* Yes, yes, I know.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

@Wildeblood

Thank you!
Just tested it locally. It works!

but I have issue with OXZ uploading. I can't see log in prompt on new oolite.space site
so this is direct link to updated HereBeDragons OXZ:
https://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/a/ ... ragons.oxz
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

stranger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:22 am
@Wildeblood

Thank you!
Just tested it locally. It works!

but I have issue with OXZ uploading. I can't see log in prompt on new oolite.space site
so this is direct link to updated HereBeDragons OXZ:
If you want your OXP to go to the Expansion manager that procedure has changed when we lost the domain oolite.org.

Now please create an issue in https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... log/issues

But I can see the url
is already published. If you updated the content, either wait as it will be rescanned once a month or still create an issue.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite