NewBee (but rather old problems)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: NewBee (but rather old problems)

Post by Cholmondely »

Alucard wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm
Hello (a lurking NewBee here)

Although been playing the game several years ... not to mention the history (when I originally played as ELITE an Amiga500 ... yes I'm an old git and got grandkids to prove it LOL) I thought it was about time I introduced myself and possibly get involved.

Anyways, I managed to get part part of the ISIS OXP working ... mind you only got Vampire MK I , Vampire Gold and a hack of of the Purgatory going ... so (and it's a big so) I would love to it running at full speed

Alucard, if you are still about, Killer Wolf has returned!

New stations: Hathor & Nephthys (as above)

His entire oeuvre: https://app.box.com/s/m2jw4wo5fdjzu3b30ma4hg9fofypgudo

See Killer Wolf for more details
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Alucard wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:16 pm
Diamondback
https://app.box.com/s/9qqnaly7gmx8863w7fz3hdm1lb4oecvr

Vampire
https://app.box.com/s/1zpfuqiy9fzp40lfqb33poweccsbnd84

Note ... downloads now v2 I had adjust the settings on the shipdata.plist for both items (I made a boo-boo and assigned extra cargo as 302 units in the originals)
Alucard - I'm no great expert on ships.

Are these just updates to work with Oolite 1.90 - or are they retextures - or what?

I'd like to post the links on the wiki, but need to know how to describe what you've done...

And do you have any ideas as to what to do with the Hathor station? KW described them as
Continuing on from the success of the Sothis and Nuit stations, Isis Interstellar further cemented their position in the upper echelon of stellar constructors a few years later with the production of the Hathor Tradestation.

For several years, traders had been complaining about prices and availability of products at the main GalCop stations. Being the only trade point for a system, demand was high and prices often matched, leaving a very slim profit margin for many, especially new traders or those independent pilots w/out large contracts. To this end, several businesses began trading from large dockable ships and sometimes asteroid bases, setting up independent markets that could cater to bulk haulers, casual traders and even hard up pilots trying to make a living but unable to afford the prices at main stations.

The Hathor was designed as a wholesaler - dealing with bulk traders for supply they stocked plenty and were able to keep prices low, ensuring a steady stream of traffic. The stations also provided simple but cheap hotel rooms for pilots wishing to leave their ships but unable to afford accommodation on the main stations. The restaurants on a Hathor are also cheap, attracting many pilots who come just to eat rather than trade, income that helps support the station. Although the range of goods at a Hathor is not as broad as a main station, this is not their point : they deal mainly in staples and essentials, which is exactly where a lot of pilots make their living.

Hathors are becoming more widespread, and often a system has bought one itself to encourage trade with the main planets. Solid, safe, well equipped and self-sufficient, the Hathors are situated near the system's sun, using their huge solar arrays to provide free power.
Do you have any ideas as to how their markets should be tweaked? - and which systems they should be found in (poor agri? rich agri? mostly agri? etc)
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Alucard
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Alucard »

I had help from Svengali in April 2018 for reworks of Vampire Redux and the Standard (existing) Diamondback, and some of Vampire class of ships have been removed.
I think the easiest way would be for you to download the files and check them for constancy and errors
and yes they run on 1.90

the latest tinkering I have done is here

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g9ptpm6p ... p.zip/file

But your best bet is to talk to KillerWolf about ownership and all the other goodies he has

there is already a Wiki for the original Vampires
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Vampire

and for the Redux version
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Reduxed_Vampires
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

A tweak of the Vampire Redux is included in the Nuit Space Station OXP. The Vampire Mark II-B/F and the Vampire Mark II-B/N acting as station security and GalCop police fighters.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Alucard wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:08 pm
I had help from Svengali in April 2018 for reworks of Vampire Redux and the Standard (existing) Diamondback, and some of Vampire class of ships have been removed.
I think the easiest way would be for you to download the files and check them for constancy and errors
and yes they run on 1.90

the latest tinkering I have done is here

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g9ptpm6p ... p.zip/file

But your best bet is to talk to KillerWolf about ownership and all the other goodies he has

there is already a Wiki for the original Vampires
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Vampire

and for the Redux version
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Reduxed_Vampires
As adumbrated above, I'm no expert on the ships.

Don't know what works and what doesn't - and have no idea as to how you tweaked your versions of KW which is what I'm asking about. Downloading them and faffing about with them will not tell me either... I'm pretty much colour-blind in this regard.

I've played with a couple of KW's because, bluntly, he got such a raw deal a decade ago, and I wanted to see if they still worked (for his wiki pages). I'm currently using Murgh's textures, bluntly, because they go with his update of the Lave.oxp (and I like his personality ships - his missionaries, his refugee adder, etc. I find that they bring the ooniverse to life). I've also faffed about briefly with the Odyssey (out of loyalty to Homer, and because it looks so whacky), Redspear's Fer-de-Lance (due to love of his other oxp's) and the Star Destroyer (blame Hiran for that one). That's it. And once I finish faffing, they are out of my Ooniverse again.

Until I discovered the personality ships, my only additions were liners, deep space dredgers and the Behemoth. And the ones which come with Commies, Feudal States, Dictatorships, etc. I'm more interested in the lore behind the ships (have you read Captain Hesperus' super write ups on the Commies ships and stations? (Link)

Question

What did Svengali help you do - and what were you trying to achieve? Did you succeed?

Marcoooose's Odyssey

Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 am
A tweak of the Vampire Redux is included in the Nuit Space Station OXP. The Vampire Mark II-B/F and the Vampire Mark II-B/N acting as station security and GalCop police fighters.
Thanks. I've added that in as a note on the Vampire Redux page.
Comments wanted:
Alucard
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Alucard »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:58 am

What did Svengali help you do - and what were you trying to achieve? Did you succeed?
What was done was mainly streamlining of both "shipyard.plist" and "shipdata.plist"
note: I changed both files to XML format) and removed the HUD. This made ship available to 1.86 ... and yes it works in 1.90

Remember this was done as personal modification so I that I could have a working copy of the ship
Alucard
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Alucard »

Oh another thing to note, the size (tonnage) of the vessels which could mean a lot to players regarding the use of Towbar and the size of ship you are able to tow

Redux Vampire tonnage is roughly the same as a Cobra MK3

Vampire VI is roughly the same as a Cobra IV
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Alucard wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:50 am
Oh another thing to note, the size (tonnage) of the vessels which could mean a lot to players regarding the use of Towbar and the size of ship you are able to tow

Redux Vampire tonnage is roughly the same as a Cobra MK3

Vampire VI is roughly the same as a Cobra IV
Good point - thank you!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:04 am
montana05 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 am
Thanks. I've added that in as a note on the Vampire Redux page.
I originally intended to overhaul the entire package, but with KillerWolf back, I refrained from it. Either way, RL still keeps me pretty busy, so no time as well.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.