Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

I'm amazed I even remembered the show, let alone that it was the right answer. OK, let's put my thinking cap on...

OK - this is a toy associated with a fairly old TV SF show - name the show. Anything that shows as a white oblong has been deleted because it makes this too easy.

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Disembodied wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:16 am
ffutures wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:18 am
Would it be The Adventures of Don Quick, a British SF sitcom from 1970? I'm not sure because the name of the ship isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article, and I think I only saw one or two episodes at the time and my memory isn't that good, but it's based on Don Quixote so seems a possible contender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adven ... _Don_Quick
Ah, not a show I've heard of! A shame it seems to be lost. I googled "Don Quick" "Ian Hendry", and "Rocinante", and although the (one! single!) hit seems to be unresponsive, the preview text reads
For the crew of the Rocinante and the leaders of the Inner Planets and the Belt, ... Cervantes in space: Don Quick (Ian Hendry), astronaut, ...
So even though it's not the answer I was expecting it's still a valid answer, with a MBP attached for sheer obscurity. The honour is yours once again …
now im wondering what the answer you expected was?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

spud42 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:03 am
now im wondering what the answer you expected was?
Might save it for a future question …
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:40 pm
OK - this is a toy associated with a fairly old TV SF show - name the show. Anything that shows as a white oblong has been deleted because it makes this too easy.
I can't remember seeing a gun like that. Just taking a blind stab then based on the film and disk clues, The Mission Impossible TVshow from 1990? Nah, not sci-fi enough.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Old Murgh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:08 pm
I can't remember seeing a gun like that. Just taking a blind stab then based on the film and disk clues, The Mission Impossible TVshow from 1990? Nah, not sci-fi enough.
Nice try but no. However, the show did have an espionage theme.

Clue time - this show ran in the late 1960s; a 1990s American rock group took their name from the show.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

ffutures wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Old Murgh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:08 pm
Nice try but no. However, the show did have an espionage theme.

Clue time - this show ran in the late 1960s; a 1990s American rock group took their name from the show.
More clues - It's a British show, and the central gimmick was somewhat similar to the idea of the later Dollhouse TV show.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:25 am
More clues - It's a British show, and the central gimmick was somewhat similar to the idea of the later Dollhouse TV show.
In the category of things I've never seen and would never know but internet.., Joe 90 is evidently the answer.

Did this figure in your childhood? Looking at pictures, I can't get past my immediate impressions linked to Team America: World Police.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Old Murgh wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:49 am
ffutures wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:25 am
In the category of things I've never seen and would never know but internet.., Joe 90 is evidently the answer.

Did this figure in your childhood? Looking at pictures, I can't get past my immediate impressions linked to Team America: World Police.
Joe 90 (1968-9) it is! A show in which none of the adult characters thought that there was anything at all unsavoury about giving a 9 year old boy access to all of the memories and skills of an adult, then telling him to do things like pilot a fighter aircraft in combat. Never mind the sexual memories, fantasies, etc...

Given that I was 15 when it first aired I think it was more of a "watch it if I'm at home and doing nothing else" thing - I think I saw four or five episodes then gave up on it.

The toy is an attaché case with "secret" compartments containing spy gear - one in perfect condition is worth about £100, I picked that one up in Portobello Road for £2, realised that a couple of bits were missing, and sold it on eBay for £40-ish (can't remember the exact amount)

Old Murgh has the virtual poison chalice!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:39 pm
Joe 90 (1968-9) it is! A show in which none of the adult characters thought that there was anything at all unsavoury about giving a 9 year old boy access to all of the memories and skills of an adult, then telling him to do things like pilot a fighter aircraft in combat. Never mind the sexual memories, fantasies, etc...

Given that I was 15 when it first aired I think it was more of a "watch it if I'm at home and doing nothing else" thing - I think I saw four or five episodes then gave up on it.

The toy is an attaché case with "secret" compartments containing spy gear - one in perfect condition is worth about £100, I picked that one up in Portobello Road for £2, realised that a couple of bits were missing, and sold it on eBay for £40-ish (can't remember the exact amount)

Old Murgh has the virtual poison chalice!
I had never heard about this. Yes the concept seems dubious with contemporary eyes.
I became aware of Terrahawks at some point in my childhood, maybe something about Thunderbirds (Zzap64! my window to the world of entertainment), but this unique genre of UK puppet TV was never shared with us.

Right. Le calice empoisonné.. Hardball, eh?

This character is a 11th century peasant girl who rescues a man in magical forest, and while briefly transformed into a mind-reading unicorn, she discovers his secret -that he is a space-time agent–, which forces him to take her with him upon his return to the 28th century.

What is the name of this character?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Any hints?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:26 am
Any hints?
Well.. In her original appearances she was a French speaking redhead, but on film rather blonde, speaking English.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, it isn't Larry Niven's Svetz series unless I'm missing something - while there is a time travelling unicorn in there it doesn't appear to be a shape-changing human. Slightly baffled...
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:25 pm
OK, it isn't Larry Niven's Svetz series unless I'm missing something - while there is a time travelling unicorn in there it doesn't appear to be a shape-changing human. Slightly baffled...
Lol, there had to be something similar.

OK, visual clue#1
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, well, that made it pretty easy - it's Laureline, from the Valérian and Laureline comics which I've read in translation a few times. Recognized her straight away, I'd just somehow missed that she'd been a unicorn when she first met Valérian. In fact I haven't actually found any proof of this, it isn't mentioned in any of the articles I've checked on the series, but given that I know who she is I'm going to assume that it's something I missed.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:07 pm
OK, well, that made it pretty easy - it's Laureline, from the Valérian and Laureline comics which I've read in translation a few times. Recognized her straight away
Yay. You saved me the embarrassment of posting the final cluepic
ffutures wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:07 pm
In fact I haven't actually found any proof of this, it isn't mentioned in any of the articles I've checked on the series, but given that I know who she is I'm going to assume that it's something I missed.
Aha! Well let me present compelling evidence:
From Les Mauvais Rêves:
Laureline's unicorn-enchantment is quite brief, but since it allows her to read his thoughts, she knows his secret, and that he's obliged to bring her along to the future.