[RELEASE] MilHUD 4.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] MilHUD 4.0

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

cim wrote:
A slight display oddity I noticed while setting my jump destination:
That's not an oddity, per se. The sights are on as long as you have blips on the scanner, yellow or red alert. The workaround is to wait till the scanner is clear (green alert), or set your jump destination while docked.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

While i have tried other (newer) huds, i keep coming back to Milhud 4.

About the only thing i miss in MilHud is support for the new (1.80 new) non-linear scanner & zoom options.
I messaged Cmdr Wyvern about 3 weeks ago if he would be interested in updating milhud, but have had no answer yet.

I looked at milhud code, and found making it use the non-linear scanner/zoom was easy.
I've playtested for several hours with non-linear and found no issues.

For those wanting to combine MilHud 4 with non-linear scanner & zoom :

Naivgate to the folder MilHUD-v4.0.oxp/Config in your addons folder.

Code: Select all

scanner_non_linear = yes;
           scanner_ultra_zoom = yes;
Add those 2 lines at the end of the following files ( i put them just before the closing } ) :
milhudcrit.plist
milhudgreen.plist
milhudred.plist
milhudyellow.plist

(adding those line to the other *.plist files in that folder seems to have no effect)
Start oolite while pressing shift (to make sure oolite loads the upated milhud) .
Enjoy the advantages of non-linear scanner & zoom with MilHud .

Cmdr Wyvern : I've used Milhud since i started playing Oolite in 2007 , thanks for a great design.

Oolite developers :
non-linear scanner & zoom are great additions to oolite, thank you .

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm
MilHUD 4.0 by Wyvern - Based on GenericHUD by KW and Thargoid, and MilHUD 3.1 by Wyvern
Oolite version: 1.74+
=======================================================================================
This is a mode-switching version of MilHUD, displaying HUD "modes" depending on condition.

Version 4.0 fixes some bugs, and introduces a next generation gun pipper system, the SquareShot holographic lasersight, designed to work in tandom with the Scanner Targeting Enhancement. A basic SquareShot mode is available without an STE, but the basic mode is usable at best at close ranges. To realize SquareShot's full capabilities, equip an STE.

MODES: (See included screenshots)
- Docked: All instruments disabled when docked, except the clock and missile/mine display.
- Green: Holographic rangers switched off; scanner, zoom, compass and sights turn green. A good indicator that you're clear to engage Supercruise.
- Yellow: SquareShot holographic sighting aids fully active; scanner, zoom, compass and sights turn yellow. Masslocked, could be hostiles around. If you want to get in a pre-emptive strike, this mode lets you.
- Red: Sights turn red, SqareShot fully active, scanner and compass takes on high-contrast blue-green. This is full combat mode, time to kick some ass.
- Critical: A warning message appears, your scanner and compass turn red, and your contraster starts flashing red. If you see this, then SHTF and you're in big trouble. Yank the eject handle or get out of Dodge fast.
=========================================================================================

Target Reticule oxp doesn't work with this (it doesn't work with GenericHUD either), so it's function is built-in.
TAF_Reset oxp isn't needed with this, it's functions are built-in. TAF reset function kicks in when docked, Witching to a new system, masslocking, and when Condition Red. Unless you use time acceleration, you won't notice.

INSTALLATION:
Remove all HUD oxps that replace the standard HUD (including GenericHUD and older MilHUD), TAF_Reset and Target Reticule from your AddOns directory, and drop this in. Simple as that. Full functionality will now kick in immediately on starting the game. Use a shiftkey start to be sure (Shiftkey start only needs to be applied once).

Credit where it's due:
This uses a modified version of Thargoid's script used in GenericHUD. SquareShot sights invented while messing with CommonSense's huds. Comm window placements and idea for the warning flasher is credted to CommonSenseOTB.

Download
Does this HUD have a license?

Reference: MilSpec HUD OXP
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Does this HUD have a license?
Bluntly, no. None of my early oxps did, and was released public domain, C the oolite community, do as thou wilt.
Hacking up oxps was, and still is, a completely nonprofit, for-the-fun-of-it hobby. I wasn't gonna go out of my way to send evil lawyers after anybody, aint got the time or patience for that BS. So licensing simply wasn't on the radar.

With that air cleared, I'm happy to see that a lot of the neat tricks in MilHUD lives on in other HUDs. As ancient as it is, MilHUD remains a novel inspiration, if little else. Carry on, Commanders.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:16 pm
Bluntly, no. None of my early oxps did, and was released public domain, C the oolite community, do as thou wilt.
Hacking up oxps was, and still is, a completely nonprofit, for-the-fun-of-it hobby. I wasn't gonna go out of my way to send evil lawyers after anybody, aint got the time or patience for that BS. So licensing simply wasn't on the radar.

With that air cleared, I'm happy to see that a lot of the neat tricks in MilHUD lives on in other HUDs. As ancient as it is, MilHUD remains a novel inspiration, if little else. Carry on, Commanders.
Good to see you back, Cmdr Wyvern,
do you plan to maintain your work in future yourself and if not would you mind if we add a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license so that we could upload them to the expansion manager ? :)
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

montana05 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:42 am

Good to see you back, Cmdr Wyvern,
do you plan to maintain your work in future yourself and if not would you mind if we add a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license so that we could upload them to the expansion manager ? :)
I've got a new version of the ol' Missile Spoof in WIP phase now.
Test, tweak, repeat till it's ready for prime time, you know the drill. I'll prob'ly release it under 3.0. Stay tuned for that one.

The other stuff, eh, I stuck a fork in it. Do As Thou Wilt, no complaints from me.

PS @ Lone_Wolf: Did you know that HUD and MFD Selector, the buyable part of it, can switch any hud's scanner zoom modes on the fly? Quite literately, as you fly. How cool is that?
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:51 am
The other stuff, eh, I stuck a fork in it. Do As Thou Wilt, no complaints from me.
Thank you very much for that, I guess I will start with the Dragon and Vendetta.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

montana05 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 am
Thank you very much for that, I guess I will start with the Dragon and Vendetta.
Maybe have a go at the Kirin, too. I dunno who's maintaining it, it's wound up in the manager.
The old Griff shader Clym & I nicked for it is horribly borked in Oolite 1.9. That sweet old hauler needs some loving to fix that.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:14 pm
montana05 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 am
Maybe have a go at the Kirin, too. I dunno who's maintaining it, it's wound up in the manager.
The old Griff shader Clym & I nicked for it is horribly borked in Oolite 1.9. That sweet old hauler needs some loving to fix that.
As much as I know, the Kirin is currently unmaintained, so easy to transfer the rights. I should have an overhauled version somewhere, using Oolite shaders only. Originally intended as an addition to the Galactic Navy as a Transport alternative before, I put the entire project on hold.