Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.92 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated 12.08.23)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Beta 1 (Updated to B1.5 - 30.12.21)

Post by Cody »

LittleBear wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:48 pm
I could add a naming scheme along the lines of "GSS Daring", "HMS Audacity" etc for the next version.
Following the RN example (HMNB Devonport, HMNB Portsmouth, HMNB Clyde) perhaps HMNB [system name] might suit?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Post by Cody »

That should be HIMNB [system_name] of course!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Had a look at the code and saw you have persistent stations and some that can appear by random chance (avoiding spoilers). So if your okay with this I'll add hand placed names for the persistent ones eg. "Fort Jameson", or whatever the authors would like to suggest as fixed names. For non-persistent stations I can add an on the fly procedurally generator to assign navy style names from a list.

Changed the Orthodox Units for the next version.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

LittleBear, I sent you a PM.
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks... and thanks, LB.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

A truly magnificent tour-de-force.

Thank you!

I'll be sorry when Stranger eventually updates his oxp's...

"Galactic Almanac Off-line: Reality under construction"... Brilliant!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

New GNN broadcasts:

(#2? - Xexedi double-naming):
i) cost-cutting excise > exercise
ii) Unfortunleley > Unfortunately
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Beta 1

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:16 am
Pretty much there now with making Beta 1.5 fully support Strangers World.
Two Things.

1) New Stations for your burgeoning collection!
Stations OXP: Hathor Trade Station & Nephthys (Killer Wolf)
Solar Harvest OXP: Solar Station (Ocz)
Wasps OXP: Wasps Nest (Killer Wolf) - note that these are supposedly unknown so presumably have no known name/manufacturer

And (I sincerely hope) Redspear's Station Variation by Species will make a debut at some stage!

2) Regarding your insightful critique of Stranger's World, I feel that rather I need to put something up on the wiki.

Would this be accurate?
Stranger's World breaks almost every other astronomical OXP in Oolite as it does not make any tests to see if another OXP is modifying a star system. This can be a big problem as it changes literally every star system in the game.

*Main orbital (replacement) stations (Eg: Globe, Torus)
These are suppressed by Strangers World and never show.
But some do! Such as the one off's (Riredi) and others such as Transhab

*Extra orbital stations (Eg: Superhub, Nuit, Nephthys, Lave Academy, Mandotech, Taranis, Galactic Navy)
These seem to work fine

*Stations added by relative coordinates:
(i) Solar stations (Eg: CZGF, SLAPU, Solar Station, Kiota Solar)
As the sun has been moved stations such as SLAPUs and Kiota Solars which should be near the sun are flung out into deepest space.
(ii) Other stations. (Eg: other Kiota stations, Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp. HQ)
SW moves stations even when they are not orbiting a planet. The Kiota stations in particular are not so far out but with SW it can take 20 minutes of real-time game play to reach them even at Torus Speed. That effectively takes them out of the game as it becomes too much of a chore to reach them. This is a shame, as these stations have tweaked markets meaning one can normally do a bit of in-system trading.

*Missions (relying on stations or ships being where placed by the mission oxp: eg GalCop Missions)
Unless the ship or station has a beacon, SW will break the mission as the information given about location will no longer match reality.
This is why one can find that (eg) Telescope shows as many as three suns! All other OXZs including very old ones such as Lave, Diso and Riredi add planets / moons on start up. On launching Strangers World adds its own moons / planets and moves them, but makes no checks for existing OXP added planets or moons. It can therefore move a planet to a space occupied by an existing planet or moon. Oolite won't let two objects occupy the same space, so the moon or planet added by another OXZ is destroyed, but its beacon remains as a 'Ghost'. That is quite a major problem when missions have been scripted to add targets near a planet or moon. The ships will still appear at the co-ordinates, but as the mission text refers to a planet which no longer exists the player has no way to find the ship and no idea where to look.

*OXP's adding planets or moons (eg Lave OXP, Diso OXP, Assassins Guild)
SW may well add extra planets and moons in addition to those added by the OXP's.

*Other OXP's generating in-system activities (eg In System Taxi and In System trading).
Planets and moons where you may be told to take your fare (or stations orbiting planets or moons) are now so far away that either you cannot actually get there within the time limit or if you can, it now takes so long that gameplay wise it isn't worth taking the missions.
Comments wanted:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Added naming arrays for the extra stations. Still doing the code to auto-name stations released after the Galactic Almanac though. Test below shows 4 of the stations appearing in the same system...

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Beta 1 (Updated to B1.6 - 07.05.22)

Post by LittleBear »

Update to Beta 1.6

Beta Version 1.6 - 07.05.22. This version adds automatic naming to any Station OXZs released after the Galactic Almanac. Additionally: Fixes a bug where with Planetary Systems installed moons and planets added by any other OXZ had their orbital positions mis-numbered. Adds names to the stations added by the Pirate Coves, Imperial Space Navy, Wasps, Solar Harvest, Hathor and Nephthys OXZs. Adds automatic naming for Stations released after the Galactic Almanac OXZ. Adds Script Info Keys to allow other OXZ to configure whether the Almanac names a station, the style used, whether a station is listed by the Almanac and to add custom MFD entries for ships. Adds more custom named Systems (705).

Box Download Link for Beta 1 .6 - 07.05.22
https://app.box.com/s/yjqisyelhns1tnyoidhbw5f2hi5ceaqx

The OXZ can also be downloaded from the Wiki at the link on my signature and is documented on the Wiki Page.

First Post Updated.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Full Version 0.7 (Updated to 0.7 on 09.06.22)

Post by LittleBear »

Update to V07.

This is the final completed version of the OXP and adds 7 more News Broadcasts and an optional non-combat mission.

I haven't worked out how to use the expansion pack manager, so if anyone is able to add it to the Manager then please feel free to do so.

I will update to a final V1.0 in a couple of months to fix any bugs caused in the mission.

Box Download Link for V0.7 (09/06/22)
https://app.box.com/s/t1b8j0aciq8pczaxfly5ki1q41yvjm2r
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:03 pm
I haven't worked out how to use the expansion pack manager, so if anyone is able to add it to the Manager then please feel free to do so.
Well done!

If you can get an Expansion Pack Manager's Account from Phkb, I'd be happy to talk you through the joys and thrills of putting it up there on Sunday, if that suits.
Comments wanted:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

I have a log-in but:-

1) I cant seem to upload a .oxz file to the wiki as it will only accept .png, .jpeg etc.
2) How do I put a URL in the Manifest folder, when I don't know the url until I've uploaded the whole file including the manifest?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:43 pm
I have a log-in but:-

1) I cant seem to upload a .oxz file to the wiki as it will only accept .png, .jpeg etc.
2) How do I put a URL in the Manifest folder, when I don't know the url until I've uploaded the whole file including the manifest?
The .oxz issue awaits Winston's tinkering with the innards of the wiki. If things are still a mess after Sunday, my offer still stands for when they are sorted out, if that helps.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Just to note, this new conflict with Planetary Compass means that In-System Cargo Delivery (Strangers World) no longer loads when Galactic Almanac is running.
Comments wanted: