Instant replay

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Instant replay

Post by Old Murgh »

Giles wrote something very long ago that I had a feeling I remembered but I don't think I ever saw mentioned later (and can't seem to see ever mentioned on these boards, but hey I'm old and not so technically agile) which source I finally found in a devLog entry from March 2005!
Aegidian wrote:
..I seem to have accidentally implemented a 25.6 second replay system too, that will be nice when I get the external view system working.
Now, has anything become of this in the years since? Do you all know about this feature, use it frequently and mirthfully, and have been holding out on me? It's in the PC version, isn't it? :shock:
I am hoping I wouldn't have been able to miss this and you are innocent of keeping me in the dark.

Needless to say, the option to pause and rewatch the last 25.6 seconds of your game, or get shown a final replay of one's murder, would be quite awesome.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Instant replay

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:26 pm
Giles wrote something very long ago that I had a feeling I remembered but I don't think I ever saw mentioned later (and can't seem to see ever mentioned on these boards, but hey I'm old and not so technically agile) which source I finally found in a devLog entry from March 2005!
Aegidian wrote:
..I seem to have accidentally implemented a 25.6 second replay system too, that will be nice when I get the external view system working.
Now, has anything become of this in the years since? Do you all know about this feature, use it frequently and mirthfully, and have been holding out on me? It's in the PC version, isn't it? :shock:
I am hoping I wouldn't have been able to miss this and you are innocent of keeping me in the dark.

Needless to say, the option to pause and rewatch the last 25.6 seconds of your game, or get shown a final replay of one's murder, would be quite awesome.
Details for contacting him are found here.

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:41 pm
Details for contacting him are found here.
Mm yes, I'm quite certain nothing happened during his tenure, I was there. Besides, I believe he's focussing on this health and wouldn't want him bothered by old fanboys.

I was more curious about what has happened in the years since, with all the later devs and brains. Was the code considered, was the feature discussed, decided against, postponed, not desired..? I was hoping someone had a story.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Never heard of a "replay system" - but I've only been here since '09.
Old Murgh wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:06 pm
Besides, I believe he's focussing on this health and wouldn't want him bothered by old fanboys.
I reckon you're right.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cody wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:45 pm
Never heard of a "replay system" - but I've only been here since '09.
That's not nothing! :D
Cody wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:45 pm
I reckon you're right.
Yes don't you think? I'd contact him if it felt right but it's not my feeling. He surely knows where to come to come if he wants to feel worshipped, literally deified, but if he figures the world of code isn't good for him, then that's a decision. I hope that can change some day.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I still follow the boards occasionally(!)

Yep, there is(was) a 0.1 second record of ship position kept for 256 iterations so that the vapour trails from the engines can be drawn out.

In theory - if that code still exists - it could be used to provide that instant replay. It's buried fairly deep in there though, and the documentation is likely to be minimal.

In life news, yes, I'm still on the boats and still tending to my mental and physical health. I'm not the only one, I tutored a really nice guy a couple of years back, who turned out to be a graphic artist with Frontier Developments who worked on ED, but who was now tending to his own mental and physical health by buying and living on a canal boat.

Here's the two of us on the Shropshire Union.

"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

aegidian wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:26 am
I still follow the boards occasionally(!)
Whow. Very cool sudden appearance.

Good that you’re doing well. From the outside your boating life seems a pleasant, peaceful existence.

And nice to see you’re still as sharp as back in the day.