Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Jetson

Post by Cody »

Only $92,000 - I want one!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Jetson

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 pm
How long to charge the batteries? 3 days?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 pm
Operating range about 30 km. Only 15 if you need a return flight. (flight time 20 minutes @ 100 km/h)

And it looks very much like a drone big enough to carry a human. Thinking of how people operate their drones today, I neither want to be inside nor anywhere near them. For good reasons the website presents a flight over some harvested field...

After all chassis 31 and 32 could be delivered in 2023 if ordered now.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Oh, it's a flying kit car. What could possibly go wrong...?

Apart from me being over the maximum weight for this thing before adding clothes, luggage, crash helmet etc...

I notice they don't say anything about licensing or airworthiness certification. I wonder why?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It does rather look like someone's developed a Sinclair C5 that's capable of killing people …
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Disembodied wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:11 pm
It does rather look like someone's developed a Sinclair C5 that's capable of killing people …
The Sinclair C5 didn't need to kill its users - they left that to every other vehicle on the road. Running them down because they were more or less invisible from the cab of an HGV, side-swiping them, pulling them over by driving close enough that they were caught in the slipstream, splashing them badly enough that they skidded or were knocked on their sides, etc. etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 518693.stm

I have an idea that the reason some aircraft have been sold in kit form is that it places all of the onus of air safety on the final assembler, not the manufacturer, but I may be remembering it wrong.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ffutures wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:21 pm
The Sinclair C5 didn't need to kill its users …
Yes, but this thing looks like it can kill other people, too, when it falls out of the air and lands on them.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

ffutures wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:21 pm
Disembodied wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:11 pm
The Sinclair C5 didn't need to kill its users - they left that to every other vehicle on the road. Running them down because they were more or less invisible from the cab of an HGV, side-swiping them, pulling them over by driving close enough that they were caught in the slipstream, splashing them badly enough that they skidded or were knocked on their sides, etc. etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 518693.stm

I have an idea that the reason some aircraft have been sold in kit form is that it places all of the onus of air safety on the final assembler, not the manufacturer, but I may be remembering it wrong.
Sounds similar to Mr. Bean's encounters with the Reliant.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Actually the C5 was marginally more stable than the Reliant if I recall correctly, mainly because of low speed and centre of gravity which meant that cornering was slightly less of an issue.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I've found out a little about the legal and airworthiness issues.

Apparently US law allows DIY construction of single-person helicopters provided that they are for the sole use of the person building them, and are not rented out or resold. This allegedly does avoid the need for a certificate of airworthiness, since the vendor of the kit isn't selling a complete aircraft. I can't help thinking that there's a subtext of "kill off the rich idiots on their own" in there somewhere, because small aircraft crashes have killed a lot of millionaires*, often with other people aboard their planes. It might be better if they don't take anyone else with them.

* e.g. Space tourist Glen M. de Vries, who flew with Shatner last month, and died in a plane crash on Thursday. Feels a little ironic.
https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/1 ... ane-crash/
Cody

Post by Cody »

In the US, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) says that ultra-light vehicles - which weigh less than 254lbs (115kg) and have a maximum speed of 55kts (63mph; 101km/h) - can be flown without a pilot's certificate.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!