Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

it's a bit odd isn't it?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Woof
Average
Average

it's a bit odd isn't it?

Post by Woof »

check out the descripions

http://img75.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... ionny7.png

not quite lining up....
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Is this a modded description? If not, pass. Either the the top descriptions need to be tabbed over one more place or "Gross Productivity" and "Average radius" need to be on two lines - I can't recall what the game normally does and I've got too much other stuff running to fire the game up to check...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
or "Gross Productivity" and "Average radius" need to be on two lines
:? Err, they are on two lines. I've just double checked and the screenshot looks exactly the same as my ingame display. I'm running on a Mac, if it makes a difference. :?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

What are we talking about?

Captain Hesperus
"Go back to sleep, your contribution to this discussion can easily be fulfilled by the spider plant in the corner of the room. More stimulating insights, for a start."
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@CH - I think Woof is indicating in his image that the tabulation for this particular system's decription screen is a little awry because "Gross Productivity" and "Average Radius" are on a single line rather than on two lines and thus the text is misplaced.

I think your spider plant has finished its game of Suduko - you may want to ease back on the baby-bio.... :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Woof
Average
Average

Post by Woof »

javascript:emoticon(':roll:') no i mean the exentric shyness and the ingrained shyness....
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:oops: Ah, durr (on me) clearly their ingrained shyness is also eccentric - there's a thread somewhere that explains that all the words and phrases was generated using something to do with some long text string and some clever maths (otherwise the text alone would have took up all the memory of those 8-bit machines (32k BBC, 48K Speccy and 64K C64) - so occasinaly these things crop up...

I shall climb back in my hole now - or perhaps hang around and chat with Cap'n H's spider plant.
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

BTW, if you don't like it - you could always write an OXP to change it...
Selezen wrote:
Captain Hesperus

DaddyHoggy wrote:
:oops: Ah, durr (on me) clearly their ingrained shyness is also eccentric - there's a thread somewhere that explains that all the words and phrases was generated using something to do with some long text string and some clever maths (otherwise the text alone would have took up all the memory of those 8-bit machines (32k BBC, 48K Speccy and 64K C64) - so occasinaly these things crop up...

I shall climb back in my hole now - or perhaps hang around and chat with Cap'n H's spider plant.
I'm sure the plant would enjoy the change from the Inane Drivel(TM) I feed it.

As to the eccentric/ingrained shyness thing, see here for a more detailed explanation. Personally my favourite is the 'edible arts graduate' (see if you can find it in Galaxy 1) :wink: .

Captain Hesperus
"I have a horrible feeling this plant knows more than I do and it's just acting dumb...."
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yep, that was what I was thinking of - old Fibonacci - clever chaps Bell and Braben (as was Fibonacci but if he fell out with anybody over a computer game history has not recorded it for posterity).

So, yeh, edible arts graduates and ingrained/eccentric shyness all part of the rich tapestry that has become Elite and its many many offspring... (of which Oolite is definitely the best (and I own (bought when they came out)and can still play (coz I still own the hardware) C64 Elite, Amiga Elite, Amiga Frontier, PC Elite (EGA DOS mode whoa - it didn't half go fast on a P133 (which was the last time I played it in Win95 (it probably doesn't work under XP)), of course I also have Christian Pinder's Version and now Oolite....

Cap'n H - I think your spider plant has just propositioned me - I mean not that I'm not flattered but we've just met and, erm.... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cap'n H - I think your spider plant has just propositioned me - I mean not that I'm not flattered but we've just met and, erm.... :wink:
OY! I saw it first!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

TGHC wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
OY! I saw it first!
Whoa! Is nothing sacred! I know you guys suffer from intermittent bouts of Space Psychosis, but is there nothing that is safe from your depraved appetites. To quote a famous hologram, "You'll shag anything, won't you Lister!"

Captain Hesperus
"I had to put the spider plant into a care facility for plants suffering from sexual and psychological torment. For it's own safety, I also changed it's name and plant pot."
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:lol:
Selezen wrote: