Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Some Improvements I'd love to see

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Some Improvements I'd love to see

Post by Twisted »

For Pc Version

As you can have custom missiles and mines (which look identical on the hud), it would be nice to get messages such as ECM hardened missile targeted (or selected when using y to cycle between missiles).

This way if you have 4 different missiles equiped you'd know which one you where about to fire.

Same for mines. I'd like to know if I was about to deploy a beacon launcher or a quinium mine in front of a rock hermit before I drop it out the back hatch :twisted:
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

Also there was a thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=619 that mentioned that the OOlite galactic jump routine checked that you would only be placed in the new galaxy in the main connected planetary set, meaning that a lot of planets cannot be visited in oolite.

For example see
http://homepages.tesco.net/nemographic/ ... /jaft.html

I'd love to see a piece of equipment that can negate this, if the routine hasn't been updated since. The only thing we would need to do is include a mission at Oresrati in the final galaxy that would reward you with a galactic hyperspace engine (being the only place in the elite universe that couldn't be escaped from).
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

Most equipment is either:
:) There and working
:) A derivitive of a miisile or mine

I think it would be great to allow for scripted equipment types whos script is activated by a key press, as defined in keyconfig.plist (a bit like equip EQ_**_Mine defined in equip file can be used in scripts awardEquip an checkForEquip ). :D

Open a whole new world to OXPs.
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

On the trading screen pressing shift- <- will sell all of your stocked item (or in lots of 5 or 10) up to the 127 item limit. Saves me pressing <- 127 times to sell my platinum stockpile :cry:
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

Read an old post (can't find it now though) about how the destination of a galactic jump calculation differes from previous versions. This may be why you loose the trail in the constrictor hunt mission when jumping from Gal 1 to Gal 2. Could the inbulit mission add an extra clue from the planet you arrive on pointing to Errius (for continuity).
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

How about someone can add a new key to the customsounds file
Key|myNewSound|\key
string|myNewSound.ogg|\string

and then a new method to use it in scripts and AI's

playCustomSound(myNewSound))

Then we could have new equipment oxp's that comes with their own noises included!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Twisted wrote:
On the trading screen pressing shift- <- will sell all of your stocked item (or in lots of 5 or 10) up to the 127 item limit. Saves me pressing <- 127 times to sell my platinum stockpile :cry:

Enter will do that (sell/buy everything)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Twisted wrote:
Well you can sell or buy up to 127 in one go by just hitting the Return key once

I fell for it too, was one of my classic forehead slapping moments.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

TGHC wrote:
Well you can sell or buy up to 127 in one go by just hitting the Return key once

I fell for it too, was one of my classic forehead slapping moments.

:oops: Slap :oops:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

scavenging idea

Post by Killer Wolf »

I uploaded the "pirate coves" OPX and it's pretty cool, but when i blatted the pirate asteroid i got a snowstorm on my scanner, billions of metal shards. snagged one (accident, dogfighting) and it came up as alloys so i had a thought about scavenging them : how about being able to fit a mega electro magnet to the fuel scoops? for a <whatever amount> of power draw while active, it would suck in any alloys (inc cargo canisters?) w/in say 2km of the ship, straight to your scoops. might be handy since it could (a) clear your scanner a bit, (b) makes scavenging easy since those panels are fricking hard to spot and who *really* wants to chase after them all, and (c) it might be funny to magnet yourself to other ships and get a tow.
jarnoid
Average
Average

Post by jarnoid »

how about being able to fit a mega electro magnet to the fuel scoops? for a <whatever amount> of power draw while active, it would suck in any alloys (inc cargo canisters?) w/in say 2km of the ship, straight to your scoops.
It should definitely be very expensive and use lots of energy when activated. And perhaps it could be only installed to the larger ships (either taking up cargo space, or having prerequisite conditions?)

Are cargo pods made of magnetic material? Would it affect missiles and asteroids too? What if you use it near another spaceship or a station? What if the object has more/less mass than you?

The ore processor OXP combined with this would make mining very profitable, though all that equipment initially cost a lot.

Ah, this sprung an idea into my mind:
How about being able to shut down your engines and/or radar? This would make you invisible to other ships' radars but also make yourself "blind" or immobile and disabling your ECM capability. And using that industrial-sized onboard electro-magnet would definitely cause malfunctions in your equipment shutting down either or both of these for a while.
Ship: Josher
Rating: Dangerous
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Some ships are capable of running the cloaking device indefinately, effectively making them invulnerable as pirates shut down and let the cloaked ship chew their asses off.

In Vegastrike, the cloaking device disables weapons; as in you can get a target lock, but can't fire till you decloak. This might be a good idea to impliment in Oolite.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I wonder if the people who created Vegastrike might have watched an episode or two of Star Trek in their youth, else the Klingons would be really stupidly powerful (just look what happened when they bypassed this limitation in Star Trek VI - no end of problems) :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

think that concept was in Wing Commander too, when you went to bomb the Kilrathi home planet i'm sure your cloak took all your power so you couldn't use your weapons.

don't think the Predators have that problem tho :-)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Some ships are capable of running the cloaking device indefinately, effectively making them invulnerable as pirates shut down and let the cloaked ship chew their asses off.

In Vegastrike, the cloaking device disables weapons; as in you can get a target lock, but can't fire till you decloak. This might be a good idea to impliment in Oolite.
That's an interesting idea. Currently if you have a ship with extra energy units and the naval energy unit etc, it's energy recharge rate is greater than the discharge rate of the cloaking device, which effectively makes your ship invisible on silent running. The net effect is that I never use my cloaking device, because it's not a game then is it!

Perhaps just increasing the discharge rate of the cloaking device would restore the balance, you don't see other ships fitted with a cloaking device, like you used to in Classic elite, I suppose perhaps they have mega recharge rates too, so increasing the discharge rate for all ships might work after all.

I'd forgotten that you used to see the likes of Ferdies and Boas, etc dissapear and reappear during dogfights, and it's a feature I'd like restored.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"