Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hyperspace gates

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hyperspace gates

Post by ovvldc »

Just an idea, if someone wants to pick it up: now that wormholes can be followed and passing through rings detected, it shouldn't be too hard to make a structure that creates a wormhole.

Something like two big rings spaced by about 100 meters: pass through the first and a wormhole is created in the second.

Possibly placed between two adjacent high TL or rich systems. So that even the most rickety interplanetary transport shuttle can go back and forth...
Panzerboy
Average
Average

Post by Panzerboy »

Could be a good idea, especially if to use them you have to pay a humongous fee
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Hmmmm... Not sure how well this would work with a Quirium drive.

The wormhole is a tear in space left behind when the drive "punches" the ship through the fabric of normal space - afaik. So, what would be popping through the skin of space wit a gate?

A possiby better variation would be a kind of robot hyperspace tug, you purchase the wormhole to a place and the little robot ship does the actual jump, you following.

Note: See here - http://elite.hughesd.co.uk/ - the "How stable are the wormholes linking our galaxy?" link on the right.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

The smaller the ship, the less likely it is to be able to have a hyperdrive in it.

According to canon information, the smallest ship that has a witchdrive is the Adder. This is likely due to the fact that the hyperdrive asembly is fairly bulky, what with the quirium converters and all.

Hence it might not make logical sense for a small robot tug to be able to tow a ship through hyperspace. Most of the time it's a larger ship (like a Python) that tows other, smaller ships through.
Twisted
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisted »

CWolf wrote:
The wormhole is a tear in space left behind when the drive "punches" the ship through the fabric of normal space - afaik. So, what would be popping through the skin of space wit a gate?
Perhaps its the outer ring that punches through. It would then arrive at the other end of the trip for refueling and prep for return trip.