Oolite Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Oolite Wiki

Post by Cody »

Where in the core-game would one change "Galaxy" to "Octant"?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:40 am
Well, I never worry about anything less than a pint when ordering in a pub, which why Cologne kind of drove me nuts, what they call beer glasses in other countries is used for spirits. :lol:
When you voice that on the Köllsch parties they claim the glass has to be small so the beer does not get warm.
They do not realize this is entirely related to drinking speed. At least they sell clusters of glasses equivalent to 2 liters of beer.
The only problem: nine others expect you to share with them.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:24 pm
montana05 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:40 am
Well, I never worry about anything less than a pint when ordering in a pub, which why Cologne kind of drove me nuts, what they call beer glasses in other countries is used for spirits. :lol:
When you voice that on the Köllsch parties they claim the glass has to be small so the beer does not get warm.
They do not realize this is entirely related to drinking speed. At least they sell clusters of glasses equivalent to 2 liters of beer.
The only problem: nine others expect you to share with them.
Well, I could order a "Kruegel" (0,50 l) in Vienna, and it's usually perfectly cool, one place in the center even has a computerized system calculating the way from the bar to the table for the perfect temperature. However, after I got pity with the waiters in Cologne running all the time to bring the next glass, I did order a cluster, took not much time for us to finish that as well.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Well, I could order a "Kruegel" (0,50 l) in Vienna, and it's usually perfectly cool, one place in the center even has a computerized system calculating the way from the bar to the table for the perfect temperature. However, after I got pity with the waiters in Cologne running all the time to bring the next glass, I did order a cluster, took not much time for us to finish that as well.
I believe the best solution is to move the party to the bar. All beverages are consumed best directly at the source. ;-)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm
phkb wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:20 am
@hiran: The new output is much better. A couple of questions/points, though:
1. In the "Warnings" section of each OXP, there is a warning if an equipment or ship item doesn't have an individual wiki (eg see first OXP "Trident Down"). I'm not sure those count as warnings, and for some OXP's that have lots of equipment items (eg "Ship Configuration") the list of warnings is huge but unnecessary.
2. There are still some OXP's that have "No wiki" when a wiki entry exists. See "Duplex Fuel Tank" or "Target Autolock Plus".
3. Feature request: An additional warning you could add is if there is a difference in the license between the manager's manifest file and the manifest in the expansion itself. For example, see "Auto-prime equipment", where the manager license is "CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0" and the expansion license is "CC-BY-SA 4.0"
4. Feature request: It would nice to have some additional columns in the OXP index list, like category, author and version. For the Equipment and Ships lists, having the originating OXP name as a column next to each entry would also be useful.
5. Please oh please can I get the index lists sorted? Pretty please? :D
Most of these changes are implemented. Item 2 is still on my desk.
Rather than sharing changing links to changing files, I will now try to share the folder so the link stays stable, and place changing files inside:
https://app.box.com/s/e2yqje0xyj2a0brixd4t7a4ncb0zwqun
Now that I experimented with Github Actions there is a new download URL for the Oolite Index:
https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Oolit ... anded=true

In theory it should get updated at least once per month, if not more often.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:21 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm
phkb wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:20 am
@hiran: The new output is much better. A couple of questions/points, though:
1. In the "Warnings" section of each OXP, there is a warning if an equipment or ship item doesn't have an individual wiki (eg see first OXP "Trident Down"). I'm not sure those count as warnings, and for some OXP's that have lots of equipment items (eg "Ship Configuration") the list of warnings is huge but unnecessary.
2. There are still some OXP's that have "No wiki" when a wiki entry exists. See "Duplex Fuel Tank" or "Target Autolock Plus".
3. Feature request: An additional warning you could add is if there is a difference in the license between the manager's manifest file and the manifest in the expansion itself. For example, see "Auto-prime equipment", where the manager license is "CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0" and the expansion license is "CC-BY-SA 4.0"
4. Feature request: It would nice to have some additional columns in the OXP index list, like category, author and version. For the Equipment and Ships lists, having the originating OXP name as a column next to each entry would also be useful.
5. Please oh please can I get the index lists sorted? Pretty please? :D
Most of these changes are implemented. Item 2 is still on my desk.
Rather than sharing changing links to changing files, I will now try to share the folder so the link stays stable, and place changing files inside:
https://app.box.com/s/e2yqje0xyj2a0brixd4t7a4ncb0zwqun
Now that I experimented with Github Actions there is a new download URL for the Oolite Index:
https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Oolit ... anded=true

In theory it should get updated at least once per month, if not more often.
Thanks. I will want to download your newest after we finally get HIMSN uploaded. I think that I can probably hold fire until then. Still using version 6, still bally useful...

What about putting Oolite Communicator up on the wiki? Will that be its final name?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm
What about putting Oolite Communicator up on the wiki? Will that be its final name?
It does not match any of our structure so far. I put emphasis on OXPs, Ships, Equipment, ... but the Oolite Communicator is something very different.
Yet it is an addon to enhance the gameplay.

I am not yet decided on that. And you may be right: Oolite Communicator may not be the best name, looking at the pure length. Some shorter catchy word might be a better feed. Do you or anyone else here have suggestions?

Edit: I think I like Nexus.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm
It does not match any of our structure so far. I put emphasis on OXPs, Ships, Equipment, ... but the Oolite Communicator is something very different.

I am not yet decided on that. And you may be right: Oolite Communicator may not be the best name, looking at the pure length. Some shorter catchy word might be a better feed. Do you or anyone else here have suggestions?

Sounds good to me. I'll create a redirect from Oolite Communicator to Nexus. Do you want me to start filling your new page?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:51 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm

Sounds good to me. I'll create a redirect from Oolite Communicator to Nexus. Do you want me to start filling your new page?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Nexus
Feel free to add more content to the page.

I also checked the Nexus Missile. From it's features it might be more appropriately renamed to Cluster Missile. But so far I won't care...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Steve wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm
As mentioned in the article, Rob Holdstock was one of their authors. It would have been really nice if he'd been able to write another story, some 30 years after The Dark Wheel. Sadly not to be :(

Sir Steve...

1) Can you add anything to the utter lack of information on Andy Redman (Imprint)?

2) I've been adumbrating the wiki pages on Elite, Frontier etc, and would appreciate your just checking to see that I've not made any egregious errors! I've never played either game (or Pioneer or E:D - joys of the AppleMac!).

Major changes to Classic Elite, Frontier, First Encounters as well as to many of the pages within their categories: Category:Classic, Category:FFE & Category:FE2.

Thanks, Cholmondeley

(posted because no e-mails are currently sent for PM's).
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Oolite wiki will be down for a couple of hours later this morning.

Winston is hoping to move it to a better server!

Faster downloads...!
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Faster wiki is now up.

Murgh and I have both been transmogrified into Bureaucrats & Administrators for the wiki - so either of us can sign up new people with editing rights as required. And we can delete pages, too.

I will check with Winston that this physical move should not interfere with Maik's regular back-up of the wiki, but bearing in mind that he currently seems unreachable and that he can presumably has the rights to fix whatever might go wrong in the backupping process, I wonder if this is a red herring. But then I am just a "dumb pilot" who can't even reliably turn an .oxp into an .oxz, or understand what else this transmogrification may or may not entail for Murgh and I!
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 pm
..what else this transmogrification may or may not entail for Murgh and I!
–Congratulations, and, –it's an honour. We must endeavour to wield this awesome power with humility, and not succumb to the lures of megalomania. I'll do my best and let me know how I'm driving.

There's of course a lot of housekeeping we can set about doing, but being structural seems a good idea, so a place to start might be to tidy the village pump and call to gather ideas for the prioritised tasks. The Manual of Style bears being fine tuned a bit too.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cody

Post by Cody »

May the Witchspace Lobster gaze favourably upon your endeavours!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 pm
Murgh and I have both been transmogrified into Bureaucrats & Administrators for the wiki - so either of us can sign up new people with editing rights as required. And we can delete pages, too.
Congratulations to our 2 new archwizards of the wiki. As I can see in the logs both of you went straight to work. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.