Oolite on MacOS

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Oolite on MacOS

Post by hiran »

I'd like to run Oolite from a system command. Not being a Mac user, how do I figure out the right command line to execute?

Another thing is that we (Cholmondely and me) brought up the Oolite Debug Console, but it seems the debug version of Oolite does not connect.
How can we see whether it tries to connect at all (on Linux, I can see Oolite's system out as that information is not in the logfile)?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite on MacOS

Post by arquebus »

From the Terminal, the command is:

open Oolite.app

(assuming you're in the same directory, otherwise it's basically Unix pathing)

The command is case sensitive for the program name.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:38 am
From the Terminal, the command is:

open Oolite.app

(assuming you're in the same directory, otherwise it's basically Unix pathing)

The command is case sensitive for the program name.
Hmmm. I was more thinking about a command that one application could use as a system.exec call to spawn the process. If it is 'open Oolite.app' and the correct working directory is required, is there some alternative command that could be used? Maybe even something like

Code: Select all

cd <working directory>;open Oolite.app

EDIT: I just checked https://scriptingosx.com/2017/02/the-ma ... n-command/. Is it really necessary to set the right directory? It seems to me the 'registered' version (maybe the last one installed?) is found automagically...
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

By default it does not appear that the Applications folder is part of a PATH, at least as far as running the program from the Terminal is concerned. I just tried it from my home directory without specifying a path, and I got an error.

I don't know anything beyond that, only the answer to the specific question about the command line.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:02 am
By default it does not appear that the Applications folder is part of a PATH, at least as far as running the program from the Terminal is concerned. I just tried it from my home directory without specifying a path, and I got an error.

I don't know anything beyond that, only the answer to the specific question about the command line.
So what would happen if you invoke

open <full path>/Oolite.app
?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

If you mean literally that, nothing, as <full path> is meaningless in Terminal.

If you mean replacing <full path> with the full path, then yes, that works. If the game has been installed in the default place, it will be:

open /Applications/Oolite/Oolite.app
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:19 am
If you mean literally that, nothing, as <full path> is meaningless in Terminal.

If you mean replacing <full path> with the full path, then yes, that works. If the game has been installed in the default place, it will be:

open /Applications/Oolite/Oolite.app
Sounds good. Yes, I intended to have the path replaced. Thank you for the confirmation.
Will try to see how the integration with another app looks like.

:-)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

We meanwhile figured out the command to run Oolite on the Mac, For some reason, Oolite would silently resist connecting to the Debug Console we offered (OoliteCommunicator). Until we stumbled over https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... .plist#L25 and could fix that.
So now OoliteCommunicator reports an incoming TXP connection when Oolite starts up. So far so good.

Except that Oolite does not really start up. The screen stays dark, the initial menu is never shown.
From Latest.log we got:

15:24:31.122 [startup.complete] -[GameController applicationDidFinishLaunching:] (GameController.m:269): ========== Loading complete in 16.13 seconds. ==========
15:24:31.515 [debugTCP.connected] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient(OOPrivate) handleApproveConnectionPacket:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:532): Connected to debug console "OoliteCommunicator".
It seems like Oolite is waiting for something, but what? On Linux and Windows the OoliteCommunicator/Oolite combination does not show problems.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:11 pm
We meanwhile figured out the command to run Oolite on the Mac, For some reason, Oolite would silently resist connecting to the Debug Console we offered (OoliteCommunicator). Until we stumbled over https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... .plist#L25 and could fix that.
So now OoliteCommunicator reports an incoming TXP connection when Oolite starts up. So far so good.

Except that Oolite does not really start up. The screen stays dark, the initial menu is never shown.
From Latest.log we got:

15:24:31.122 [startup.complete] -[GameController applicationDidFinishLaunching:] (GameController.m:269): ========== Loading complete in 16.13 seconds. ==========
15:24:31.515 [debugTCP.connected] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient(OOPrivate) handleApproveConnectionPacket:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:532): Connected to debug console "OoliteCommunicator".
It seems like Oolite is waiting for something, but what? On Linux and Windows the OoliteCommunicator/Oolite combination does not show problems.
So I am not the only one hitting that wall. Maik perceived the exactly same: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=274239#p274239
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:11 pm

From Latest.log we got:

I just compared the startup with my Linux installation. There also the last two lines read

07:35:53.075 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.31 seconds. ==========
07:35:53.208 [debugTCP.connected]: Connected to debug console "OoliteCommunicator".
So it is not that I am searching for something AFTER these lines. The screen should have initialized by now, the menu being shown, the ship should be rotating and the music playing. But all we got is a black rectangle.