Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship condition

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Ship condition

Post by Reval »

For prospective buyers/part-exchangers, it would be very useful to include the condition of all ships listed at the Shipyard (as maybe a percentage of 'new').

This would obviate a recent experience I had at Lave as a Jameson, when I parted with my Cobby and plumped for an Adder that turned out to be sub-par. On leaving with this 're-conditioned' purchase for a test flight, the HUD immediately began to malfunction and I was forced to abandon the commander and start afresh with a new game.

Had I been able to gauge the condition of the ship, this would not have happened because, obviously, I wouldn't have bought it.
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Ship condition

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:06 am
For prospective buyers/part-exchangers, it would be very useful to include the condition of all ships listed at the Shipyard (as maybe a percentage of 'new').

This would obviate a recent experience I had at Lave as a Jameson, when I parted with my Cobby and plumped for an Adder that turned out to be sub-par. On leaving with this 're-conditioned' purchase for a test flight, the HUD immediately began to malfunction and I was forced to abandon the commander and start afresh with a new game.

Had I been able to gauge the condition of the ship, this would not have happened because, obviously, I wouldn't have bought it.
And when I buy a second hand car....

Who says the condition of the ship in the shipyard is any good - other than the seller. And does anybody guarantee it?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I dont think a percentage is the right measure, for me its immersion breaking. no one buys a car thats 78% condition, they buy a car that is "a good runner, some scratches on the paintwork" or whatever.

Something like "as new", "good", "ok" or "needs work" would make sense for me. Perhaps with high TL systems (or better legal systems?) setting higher standards than others.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<grins> One careful owner?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr James wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm
I dont think a percentage is the right measure, for me its immersion breaking. no one buys a car thats 78% condition, they buy a car that is "a good runner, some scratches on the paintwork" or whatever.

Something like "as new", "good", "ok" or "needs work" would make sense for me. Perhaps with high TL systems (or better legal systems?) setting higher standards than others.
So what do you think of

1) Ship Version's "small fixes"? (Norby)
2) Spara's Failing HUD
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:33 pm
So what do you think of

1) Ship Version's "small fixes"? (Norby)
2) Spara's Failing HUD
I think the first is something dfferent, its about model numbers or variants not condition.

Failing HUD seems like a fun idea. One nice thing is that it reminds you to get a service visually, hopefully before too much of the ship stops working.

But still this is something different. These are about what happens to the pilot experience when you are flying a lemon, my comment was more around how to tell a purchaser the state of the ship and a preference to use a vague description than to say "this ship is at 78% condition, price adjusted accordingly"
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

How about taking (maintenance overhaul cost/total value of ship)*100 as percentage, then apply your words "as new", "good", "ok" or "needs work" to the percentage ranges? If the value is too high, something like "not worth the money" could help also.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:41 pm

How about taking (maintenance overhaul cost/total value of ship)*100 as percentage, then apply your words "as new", "good", "ok" or "needs work" to the percentage ranges? If the value is too high, something like "not worth the money" could help also.
I think that "Ship Version" does it that way.
Comments wanted:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Clearly. Though my preference would be overlapping bands so there is an element of uncertainty.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cmdr James wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:13 pm

Clearly. Though my preference would be overlapping bands so there is an element of uncertainty.
Sounds good for me. :D
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite