[UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Smivs »

Hi Travis, sorry to hear you are having trouble with this.
So much of the core game has changed recently that this OXP is not going to work at all well in all sorts of ways, so TBH I'd un-install it for now. The good news is an updated version will be available in the future. Spara has very kindly updated all the scripting (a massive job in itself) and I am developing a couple of new models to replace some very old outdated ones, so the new version still needs a bit of extra work and testing before release.
If you are interested, I can contact you when it is complete and see if you want to give it a run-through before its formal release.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

With this rate, someone (not me) needs to do a new script rewrite before the oxp can be re-released :wink: .
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Travis wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:39 pm
Xeptatl's Sword has not been tested with Oolite v1.80. No problems have been reported but some of the code is now out of date, and changes to the core game may affect the mission in unforseen ways. Please report any problems on the Oolite Forum
So I've recently started this mission (in Oolite v 1.82) and I've pretty much fallen at the first hurdle :/ I keep getting stuck during the Galaxy 2 wormhole run - I've tried following the advice on the XS help page - but it doesn't seem to have worked.
Gur Gunetbvqf jvyy pnhfr lbh gb zvfwhzc, yrnivat lbh jvgubhg shry va jvgpufcnpr. Uryc jvyy pbzr, fb qrny jvgu gur Gunetbvqf naq njnvg erfphr. N Krcgngy Fbpvrgl ntrag jvyy pbzr ybbxvat sbe lbh. QB ABG hfr nal 'Rkgen Shry' BKCf gb rfpncr sebz vagrefgryyne fcnpr!
Fb urer V nz, fghpx va jvgpufcnpr. Naq V'ir orra urer sbe fbzr gvzr abj. Ubj ybat fubhyq V jnvg? Jbeevrq gung Wnzrfba jvyy fgneir ol gur gvzr n Krcgngy ntrag trgf urer. Pna'g gryy vs gur BKC vf oebxra be vs V unir gb or ernyyl cngvrag ...
flfgrz.yrtnpl_nqqFuvcfJvguvaEnqvhf("kfVagrefgryyneNtrag", 1, "nof", cynlre.fuvc.cbfvgvba, 90000);
kfVagrefgryyneNtrag ersref gb n fuvc jvgu gung ebyr va Krcgngy'f Fjbeq .bkc pbasvt fuvcqngn.cyvfg svyr...ohg gung fuvc unf n onq NV pubvpr naq n abarkvfgrag wninfpevcg.wf svyr.
Rira jura V punatrq gung gb na NV cyhf .wf gung jbhyq perngr n jbezubyr gb yrnir vagrefgryyne fcnpr, gur fuvc jnf fcnjarq gbb sne njnl sebz gur cynlre sbe rvgure gur cynlre gb svaq vg be sbe vg gb svaq gur cynlre ...vs gur cynlre fgbcf naq jnvgf sbe ubhef.
V guvax vg'f pbeerpg gb fnl...gung cneg bs gur pnzcnvta vf fvzcyl oebxra naq hasvavfurq.

Jura V cynlrq gur zvffvba, V nibvqrq gur genc orpnhfr bs fcrpvny grfgvat rdhvczrag juvpu gbbx zr "bss gur envyf" bs gur cybg jura V jrag gb gur "jebat" flfgrzf.
V nyfb unq rkgen shry gnaxf gb ershry sbe ulcrefcnpr whzcf rira nsgre gur genc fpevcg erzbirq bar.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

This oxp is well broken, methinks - and the Xeptatl's Sword site has long since disappeared.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

But could we not put up a copy on the wiki? And then, eventually, somebody might come along and update it?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 pm
But could we not put up a copy on the wiki? And then, eventually, somebody might come along and update it?
It seems to still be on Smivs site here. It's a 19M archive.
The license seems to be a Creative Commons variant.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander_X wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:46 am
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 pm
It seems to still be on Smivs site here. It's a 19M archive.
The license seems to be a Creative Commons variant.
Thank you! Superb!

Question: What was the Xeptatl's Sword site actually like? I find the whole idea quite intriguing...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:16 am
[...] Question: What was the Xeptatl's Sword site actually like? I find the whole idea quite intriguing...
To answer your question, nothing fancy. It might be that the styles were not properly picked.

You can check yourself if you go to https://archive.org/ in your browser, and paste in the WayBackMachine search box the first link in this thread (http://www.xeptatlssword.com/), or go directly to the link for the first archive of the site (https://web.archive.org/web/20111210124 ... sword.com/).
You'll notice that the download page is hosted on Smivs site. Some archives later (I think I picked one in 2015), there is button with the link I passed above.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A longish time ago I did a massive update to the oxp in co-operation with Smivs, but never released it. The main reason was that some of the models were badly updated and I did not want to release the new version with them. Eventually the project got into limbo (RL reasons and so on). I think the unreleased and updated version is pretty much functional. If someone wants to test it, play it or even finish the update, here you go (version 2.0.1): https://app.box.com/s/yaw4mif1p014grd5cxx8z6zqiy86w0dc

Note that the mission kicks in after the player has finished the great galactic circle.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 am
A longish time ago I did a massive update to the oxp in co-operation with Smivs, but never released it. The main reason was that some of the models were badly updated and I did not want to release the new version with them. Eventually the project got into limbo (RL reasons and so on). I think the unreleased and updated version is pretty much functional. If someone wants to test it, play it or even finish the update, here you go (version 2.0.1): https://app.box.com/s/yaw4mif1p014grd5cxx8z6zqiy86w0dc

Note that the mission kicks in after the player has finished the great galactic circle.
Thnaks!

If I understand correctly, the original mission began in Galaxy 5.

Your version is labelled 2.0.1
Just to be clear, is this a newer version of Smiv's 2.0 (6th Feb 2013) - or of his 2.3 (7th June 2014)?
Comments wanted:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Heh. The version should probably be 3.0.1. It's based on the final released version. It's been quite a few years, but I have a strong feeling that you were required to go ovet the octants once and then the events started rolling. Then again, it's been a very long time and I might remember things incorrectly. You will see some of the oxp specific objects from the start if you know where to look, they won't be 'active' though.

There's probably a readme of sorts in the folder listing the changes and updates. I'll take a look at the triggers when I get home fron work.

The last pm from Smivs is from 2016. That dates the updated oxp to about 2015-2016.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:39 am
Heh. The version should probably be 3.0.1. It's based on the final released version. It's been quite a few years, but I have a strong feeling that you were required to go over the octants once and then the events started rolling. Then again, it's been a very long time and I might remember things incorrectly. You will see some of the oxp specific objects from the start if you know where to look, they won't be 'active' though.

There's probably a readme of sorts in the folder listing the changes and updates. I'll take a look at the triggers when I get home fron work.

The last pm from Smivs is from 2016. That dates the updated oxp to about 2015-2016.
All I did was read the gubbins on the archived website - and in the ReadMe.

Should I leave tampering with the wiki page until you update your version number? I'm thinking of copying the archived website to our wiki, to keep everything easily accessible.
Comments wanted:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

The original is so outdated, it's basically broken. My updated version fixed coding, structure and what not. It got stuck to the outdated model of the monitor station. After that it would have needed some more testing because of the number of fixes and changes. I'll change the version number and then it can be released as an unfinished update, which should work just fine :D.
Cody

Post by Cody »

So Smivs is now an insect breeder and seller. I reckon the gooks got to him!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Most models seem to be 'lowpoly' HiRes Smivs handywork, lacking the metal shine but fitting with the HiRes classic looks...

A few models and texture are really low resolution...

monitor station