Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Cpt »

phkb wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 am
Welcome back, commander!
Oppps! Work has been hectic sorry not to have replied sooner!

::Blush::

Thank you!
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cpt wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:36 pm
Ooppps! Work has been hectic sorry not to have replied sooner!
Welcome back...

I notice that you list your occupation as a campaigner... do you think it might be possible to create some sort of "campaigning oxp" for Oolite?

And has your list of recommended oxp's changed at all?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

::Grin:: Campaigner is both true and a euphemism.

That is interesting, Oolite Campaigner OXZ options may include:
Anti-slavery campaign, free the people? Points for people freed?
War on Drugs? Points for drugs destroyed?
War to give access to narcotics? Points for drugs delivered?
Anti Usuary Campaigner, let's declare war on the Bank of the Black Monks? Gunship kill score?
Anarchy campaigner bringing down planetary governments?
AntiCommunism Campaigner declaring war on Communist governments?
AntiCapitalist Campaigner declaring war on Corporate State governments?
Humanitarian Campaigner take the people in crisis food, medicine, machinery/computers to rebuild?
Luddite Campaigner war on High Technology governments?
Cyber Campaigner bringing tech to the people?

I now plan to update my list of OXPs and I'll take the "P" out of it, probably as a fun thing to do over Christmas/New Year...
I do have some addage to add...
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Introduce myself

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hello

i'll make it short:

- first seen "Elite" on C64( not mine )
- then Atari ST ( on small TV with HF modulator )
- Atari mega STe 4( again TV )
- PC (MS) with monitor
- then "Final Frontier" (MS)
- and then ( :) ) Oolite on Linux PC ( with destroying the complete Thargoid invasion fleet all alone!
....but with no bounty :( )
- pause ( very long )
- now - just flying an imperial courier

@all developers -- you've done a great job!!!

Matthias
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
ATI Radeon R7240 XFS / Samsung TV 40" 1080p
C-Media CMI8738 / Yamaha RX-V575 / DIY-Speaker
Logitech Attack3 & standard german keyboard
NChw
Above Average
Above Average

Post by NChw »

Hi to everyone,

I am new to this forum, but was an account holder on a previous bulletin board.

I played Elite on a BBC-B and then later on a IBM compatible :P windows PC.

After many years, I played a lot of X and X2, but my hardware was not up to standard to get onto X3 and beyond.

I discovered Oolite when running LinuxMint as my main OS, and have been playing it for years. I am back onto windows (because of work) on a much better machine now.

I continue to be impressed with the game and the superb OXP/OXZ additions.

A big thank you to everyone involved.
albanlusitanae
Average
Average

Post by albanlusitanae »

HI to all

Returning player to the game, was surprised at the evolution. 😁
Will be posting questions and maybe venture in making changes

Cheers to all
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

albanlusitanae wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 pm
HI to all

Returning player to the game, was surprised at the evolution. 😁
Will be posting questions and maybe venture in making changes

Cheers to all
Welcome back! I just hope that that is "pleasantly surprised at the evolution"!

Who was your previous incarnation?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
albanlusitanae
Average
Average

Post by albanlusitanae »

Too long ago to remember :) I was by the same name I have here.

Well the game has improved incredibly in modding but...
I am actually having a few difficulties and I will query the forum if this is how the game is now.
If yes, I need to review what I will be doing in it.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

albanlusitanae wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Too long ago to remember :) I was by the same name I have here.

Well the game has improved incredibly in modding but...
I am actually having a few difficulties and I will query the forum if this is how the game is now.
If yes, I need to review what I will be doing in it.
Goodness Grief! 2006!! The game must have changed immensely since you were last on the forum! We now have some 750 oxz's on the Expansions Manager and another 400 oxp's floating about elsewhere! Not to mention the changes in gameplay (pirates now freely travel from anarchies to local corporates & democracies, bumping up the crime rates there). And the energy bomb is now long gone, replaced by an .oxz and by the Q-cascade bomb. And we have yaw as well as roll.

Did you find the RS reference sheets?
Comments wanted:
albanlusitanae
Average
Average

Post by albanlusitanae »

Yep old school player here, was in here since almost the beginning

Sorry RS Reference Sheets? I do have the manual and stuff if that is what you mean...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

albanlusitanae wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 pm
Yep old school player here, was in here since almost the beginning

Sorry RS Reference Sheets? I do have the manual and stuff if that is what you mean...
RS Reference Sheet: (search for OoliteRS - stashed away in the entrails of your computer Oolite download): it is well worth printing out.

Also: Category:Help pages
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

I was reminded of this world by a note from Cholmondeley, and after nearly 15 years away I went back to have a feel of the game that I used to play quite a bit back in the day. Of course it starts in the 80s with the seductive Elite box set that surpassed all the blocky little games i had previously played on my C64. It came with a novella, a large poster with all the ships, graphics that cleverly made the very most of the limitations of that era, and the game was vast and extremely difficult, it consumed me for a long time.

I think by accident I came over Oolite not very long after Aegidian first few stable releases, probably while googling for a primitive port of Elite so I could relive the old game. Oolite blew me away, it was handsomely recreated but still very true in spirit to the brilliant simplicity of Elite. And its creator was completely transparent about his process and difficulties, even taking time to interact with enthusiasts. So then I found this BB, quite small and populated by courteous people all with a similar euphoria of having rediscovered something pure and special from childhood.

With all the enthusiasm that comes from such excited people, Aegidian received no shortage of suggestions of what he ought to spend his time on enhancing and implementing, but he let us know that in his wisdom he had opened the door and encouraged people to go ahead themselves. The possibilities for personal customisation were more massive than anything I had seen before, and Aegidian insisted that mere average computer skills should be sufficient to go at it and have fun.

In my background I had mostly worked with 2D images, very little modelling and absolutely no coding, but amazingly with some help and nudging by Aegidian and other skilled members, I had some years of great fun and satisfaction customising and populating my Oolite experience, and feeling a nice sense of community discussing these things on the BB. It eventually became quite a time-consuming hobby, and in the end a career demanded that time.

Over a decade later, being reminded of the initial joy of this game, I downloaded the latest build onto my new computer, assembled a space-atmospheric playlist, put on headphones and launched the game on a large screen. It's gorgeous. And extremely difficult. Full circle.

* To emphasise the extent of full circle and how I have aged and become outdated, I no longer know where to put the OXPs. What happened to the AddOns folder?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:30 pm
* To emphasise the extent of full circle and how I have aged and become outdated, I no longer know where to put the OXPs. What happened to the AddOns folder?
We now have two different folders.

The newer Managed AddOns folder is "managed" by the in-game Expansions Manager (for the newer .oxz's)

Locating your AddOns folder

Mac OS X

Found in the folder that contains the Oolite application.

Alternatively you can also have the AddOns folder in your user area at ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/. When both places contain an AddOns folder, both contents are read with the content in the user libraries loading last.

Troubleshooting: If you get an error saying "The item could not be moved because "AddOns" cannot be modified", that can happen if you weren't the user that installed Oolite. The solution is to put the OXPs of your choice in ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/ instead (you may need to create this folder). The error could also be triggered because you’re running from the disk image, you’ll need to copy the game somewhere else. Having done so, if you still get the error, use the Get Info command on the AddOns folder, open the Ownership & Permissions pane and check that it says You Can: Read & Write.

Linux

The location of the AddOns folder will depend on whether you chose to install Oolite to 'Home' or 'System'.

If you chose the 'Home' installation, the AddOns directory is located in ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns. The AddOns folder should be in the top level of the Oolite install directory (at the same level as the oolite.app folder) You may have to create it.

If you chose the 'System' installation, the AddOns directory will be ~/.Oolite/Add-ons. You may have to create it. Note that this is a 'hidden' directory, and so you may have to turn on 'Show hidden files' in your file manager before you can see it.

An alternative location for a 'System' installation is the /opt/Oolite/AddOns directory, but most users find this less convenient than ~/.Oolite/Add-ons.

Windows

The AddOns folder should be in the top level of the Oolite install directory (at the same level as the oolite.app folder). Historical: if you are using the GNUStep dedicated versions (pre-Jan 2006), then the AddOns folder must be created inside the oolite.app folder.

NB: I was impressed to see that you had edited the Wiki page on Roger Scruton. An interesting chap. Shame he's dead.
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Thanks for helping with this, of course I did my best to examine all readMes. Since you said the old OXPs still work somewhat, I thought I'd look at those before getting into the OXZs..
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:25 pm
Mac OS X
Found in the folder that contains the Oolite application.

Alternatively you can also have the AddOns folder in your user area at ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/. When both places contain an AddOns folder, both contents are read with the content in the user libraries loading last.

Troubleshooting: If you get an error saying "The item could not be moved because "AddOns" cannot be modified", that can happen if you weren't the user that installed Oolite. The solution is to put the OXPs of your choice in ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/ instead (you may need to create this folder). The error could also be triggered because you’re running from the disk image, you’ll need to copy the game somewhere else. Having done so, if you still get the error, use the Get Info command on the AddOns folder, open the Ownership & Permissions pane and check that it says You Can: Read & Write.
My download of Oolite came with no AddOns folder. I thought I remembered that I could just make one myself and keep it adjacent to the Oolite container in my Oolite folder, but this hasn't worked. I have moved it inside the container but it has no effect.

I also created Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/ but to no effect. I've double checked several ownership/permissions and can't see any issues there.

I saw an advice that I was to check if I hadn't accidentaly started in a strict mode, but my f2page offers no option to reset to strict/unrestricted play, so that's hard to tell..

Now I'm suspecting a dud OXP so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. Can you recommend an OXP that will be immediately obvious when I launch the game?
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:25 pm
NB: I was impressed to see that you had edited the Wiki page on Roger Scruton. An interesting chap. Shame he's dead.
Yes, very interesting. Some of his writing was part of my wine education.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm
Can you recommend an OXP that will be immediately obvious when I launch the game?
Try Lave is Earth, and which OS are you using?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!