For those of you who've become Elite - Missing Mission Triggers

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

For those of you who've become Elite - Missing Mission Triggers

Post by Commander Mick »

I'm talking about the original game of Elite, the classic version and if need be I mean the version that was on C64, since that was the one I played. Using a floppy disk.....

I know I have played that game to death, but have only ever reached the space combat score of Deadly and would like to know why. I've amassed a tonne of credits along the way, enough to possibly repurchase my ship several times over. if that was actually possible in the original game. Since, I have read a lot about other commanders becoming Elite (in the original game only.) and the doing the missions as well. I begun to wonder or not if doing the missions was vital in becoming Elite or do they just help a lot.

I think it was the completion of first mission, the hunting of the Constrictor ( Or second mission if you count the Trumbles incident.) that made me Deadly or was it Dangerous. I 'm not sure I remember, perhaps it was doing the mission that made me Dangerous, but completion of it that made me Deadly. It was such long time ago now, and I have lost track of my old floppy disk I used to save the game on. In fact, I lost track of the C64 as well.

Now, I know it was something that triggers that mission to be given to me. Perhaps it was purchasing a particular piece of equipment for the ship or a certain number of kills reached. I've now purchased every piece of equipment. At least the stuff that wasn't rare if there was any thing rare to buy for your ship.

That was the only mission I ever triggered, but what are triggers for the other missions I heard about. So, I travelled all over the first galaxy, trying to trigger them, but to no avail. Should I have left the galaxy for the second galaxy. I think there are nine of them and perhaps one mission per galaxy Yet, I could wrong there?

So, my big question here is what are the actual triggers for the other mission, the rest of them and are they a integral part of becoming Elite or is my game actually broken with me having no way of reaching that accolade....?
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: For those of you who've become Elite - Missing Mission Triggers

Post by Cholmondely »

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Classic_Elite: This page now has more detail and lots of links on it.

There is a page somewhere on our wiki with laden with details of the various classic elite missions (and the different Elite variant missions too - BBC, Archimedes etc). It might be part of the AFE FAQ series (they are now linked together to enable jumping from one to another).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

Thanx for that.......now, I consulting Leroy's Help Guide. Thanks to Ebay purchase of the game box with all the accessories including that book and the game as well after losing the original one I brought. I'm really just interested in what I need to play this on the C64.....

It says....

[spoiler]
Harmless 20 Kills
Mostly Harmless 25 Kills (Although, having attained Mostly Harmless, I'm sure I didn't get that many kills when playing Elite the New Kind.)
Poor 35 Kills
Average 60 Kills
Above Average 115 Kills
Competent 700 Kills Note: This one only requires 200 Kills when Constrictor is destroyed
Dangerous 3500 Kills
Deadly 7000 Kills
Elite 11000 Kills

Now they say that you can save the game as often as you like, and that dying won't directly penalise you, but you must simply restart the game from scratch where you saved you last game.[/spoiler]

Which explains why I might not be Elite yet. Cause, I died a lot. Also, I not sure if the number of kills written up there cumulative or not.
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:31 pm
Thanx for that.......now, I consulting Leroy's Help Guide. Thanks to Ebay purchase of the game box with all the accessories including that book and the game as well after losing the original one I brought. I'm really just interested in what I need to play this on the C64.....

It says....

[spoiler]
Harmless 20 Kills
Mostly Harmless 25 Kills (Although, having attained Mostly Harmless, I'm sure I didn't get that many kills when playing Elite the New Kind.)
Poor 35 Kills
Average 60 Kills
Above Average 115 Kills
Competent 700 Kills Note: This one only requires 200 Kills when Constrictor is destroyed
Dangerous 3500 Kills
Deadly 7000 Kills
Elite 11000 Kills

Now they say that you can save the game as often as you like, and that dying won't directly penalise you, but you must simply restart the game from scratch where you saved you last game.[/spoiler]

Which explains why I might not be Elite yet. Cause, I died a lot. Also, I not sure if the number of kills written up there cumulative or not.
Did you see this wiki page on Elite Rating?

If you are sure that your table is accurate, I could add it on to the page...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

No, I must have missed that and that information is good to know. Those shown in the wiki look more accurate according to what I got from playing "Elite the New Kind".

What I put up there, came from the "Leroy Help Guide for Elite " included with with the boxed game and other books which I found on Ebay years ago.

It's a interesting tome, they also listed all the missions that occur in the game, and the later ones come with a spoiler warning.

The next mission is the Thargoid one, and it only occurs after you second or third "Right On Commander!" after killing the Constrictor and this only happens in the second galaxy.
Last edited by Commander Mick on Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm
No, I must have missed that and that's information is good to know and the ones you show me look more accurate according to what I got from playing "Elite the New Kind".

What I put up there, came from the "Leroy Help Guide for Elite " included with with the boxed game and other books which I found on Ebay years ago.

It's a interesting tome, they also listed all the missions that occur in the game, and the later ones come with a spoiler warning.

The next mission is the Thargoid one, and it only occurs after you second or third "Right On Commander!" after killing the Constrictor and this only happens in the second galaxy.
LHG for E is just for the Commodore version? There seems to have been a fair amount of variation between the various versions of Classic Elite.

You will let us know how you cope, I hope...
Comments wanted:
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

Oh, I just noticed MSX ELITE, that game must be brutal!
What is it with that?
Right on Commander!!
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:51 pm

LHG for E is just for the Commodore version? There seems to have been a fair amount of variation between the various versions of Classic Elite.

You will let us know how you cope, I hope...
I assume the help guide was written just for the C64 since it came out of the box......

This might have the answer...

https://ibb.co/rcDLR6M
Right on Commander!!