Databasing/Indexing Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Databasing/Indexing Oolite

Post by hiran »

Josef wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:59 pm
I loaded the database now up

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=495C3C97A ... 97A6639589

Just respond, what you think about it and if you find any errors
It seems I am not authorized. At least anonymous download is not possible. Is this intentional?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Josef
Competent
Competent

Post by Josef »

hiran wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:51 pm

It seems I am not authorized. At least anonymous download is not possible. Is this intentional?
I think that Microsoft changed something. Is there an other possibility to share that file?
Josef
Josef
Competent
Competent

Post by Josef »

Here is another link. I hope that will work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsopz8eol9gra ... accdb?dl=0
Josef
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Josef wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:37 am
Here is another link. I hope that will work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsopz8eol9gra ... accdb?dl=0
I was able to download the file. And according to the description I posted before I downloaded the UCanAccess JDBC driver.
The connection setup works, but when I try to actually connect I seem to need username/password. Leaving the fields empty gives me access to a database without tables. Filling arbitrary values gives me "Authorization Failed" messages.
Is by chance the database encrypted? I may as well have a problem with the JDBC driver...

But to shorten this:
You could as well upload screenshots of your table structures. I am anyway more interested in that than the real content.
Josef
Competent
Competent

Post by Josef »

What is the title of the database?
Josef
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Josef wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:12 am
What is the title of the database?
OoliteBegriffe

Although I am not sure what this might help...
Josef
Competent
Competent

Post by Josef »

I was thinking, that I sent you the wrong one.
But why did you need some passwords. I did not program that.
How is it possible to add a picture here?
Josef
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Josef wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:41 pm
How is it possible to add a picture here?
You need to host it somewhere (Postimage is one host, there are others), then post a link.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Equipment.

I'd like to collate all the equipment onto a category page.

But it would not be so helpful I fear ... but what about having different sub-categories for all the equipment?

I came up with a 6-fold division for the Oolite Equipment page:

Propulsive: eg Main Engine, Torus Drive, Hyperspace Drive, Witchfuel Injectors
Astrogatory: eg ViewScreen, HUD, Astrogation Console, IFF Scanner, Compass, External Heat Shielding, ANA, ASC
Offensive: eg Pulse laser, Missiles, MTS, TSME
Defensive: eg Shields, ECM, Escape Pod, EEU, MSE, NEU
Generic: eg: Cargo Hold, Energy Banks, Life Support System, Ship's Hull
Mercantile: eg: Cargo Bay Expansion, Passenger Berth, Mining Laser
Various (more than one of the above): Fuel scoops (mercantile & ?propulsive?)

I'm pondering renaming Generic to Structural and renaming Various to Multiple.

And then trying to fit the OXP equipment (500 pages? - mostly redirects to the relevant OXP) into that straightjacket, with 6 or so different categories and a master category to rule them all and bind them.

Any helpful advice?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:38 pm
Equipment.

But it would not be so helpful I fear ... but what about having different sub-categories for all the equipment?

Astrogatory: eg ViewScreen, HUD, Astrogation Console, IFF Scanner, Compass, External Heat Shielding, ANA, ASC

And then trying to fit the OXP equipment (500 pages? - mostly redirects to the relevant OXP) into that straightjacket, with 6 or so different categories and a master category to rule them all and bind them.

Any helpful advice?
Sounds good to have such categories, and having them well defined.

I am wondering whether today it is possible to assign categories to equipment or whether categories are more a thing for OXPs. But whatever it is it need not be hammered in stone though.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:16 am
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:38 pm
Equipment.

Any helpful advice?
Sounds good to have such categories, and having them well defined.

I am wondering whether today it is possible to assign categories to equipment or whether categories are more a thing for OXPs. But whatever it is it need not be hammered in stone though.
My understanding is that categories are just ways of chopping massive lists down into manageable chunks. We have 690 oxz's up on the Expansions Monitor, my guess is that we have 500+ pages of equipment (many OXZs have a number of equipment items)...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Templates

Does anybody understand how templates work on the wiki?

I am given to understand that there are at least two methods of tagging a page for inclusion under a "category":

i) include [[Category:whatever the category is]] on the page
ii) include {{something or other}} on the page - where the "Template:something or other page" bungs text on the page and possibly performs other feats of prestidigitatory aplomb (such as categorising it)

So at the moment I'm bunging on [[Category:Equipment]] on the various equipment pages with gay abandon.

But if I were to add {{Equipment (Offensive)}} as well, then Cody's great-great-granddaughter could in time transmogrify the new Category:Equipment (Offensive) into Category:Equipment (Aggressive) if the mood took her - and it would be much much easier for her to change everything than if I'd bunged [[Category:Equipment (Offensive)]] on each page instead (where she would need to edit the tag on every bally equipment page).

Links:
List of Wiki Templates: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Specia ... mespace=10
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:07 am
My understanding is that categories are just ways of chopping massive lists down into manageable chunks. We have 690 oxz's up on the Expansions Monitor, my guess is that we have 500+ pages of equipment (many OXZs have a number of equipment items)...
This is visible here (and may need an update, despite the fact that the rough numbers are still correct):

We have 688 expansions, 2313 equipment (way more than your guess of 500), 7255 ships.

The strange thing from my POV is that if some equipment is a missile we would put it under 'offensive', but if the same OXP comes with a HUD also we would put that into 'Astrogatory'.

If categories can only be applied to OXPs we would simply list both. But going back to the single equipment to find the correct category would no longer be possible.
If instead we place categories on the OXP content, like ships and equipment then it would be easy to calculate the OXP's category from it's content.

This szenario is already reality with the Vimana HUD and the Vimana Beam both coming from the same OXP.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:04 am
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:07 am
This is visible here (and may need an update, despite the fact that the rough numbers are still correct):

We have 688 expansions, 2313 equipment (way more than your guess of 500), 7255 ships.

The strange thing from my POV is that if some equipment is a missile we would put it under 'offensive', but if the same OXP comes with a HUD also we would put that into 'Astrogatory'.

If categories can only be applied to OXPs we would simply list both. But going back to the single equipment to find the correct category would no longer be possible.
If instead we place categories on the OXP content, like ships and equipment then it would be easy to calculate the OXP's category from it's content.

This scenario is already reality with the Vimana HUD and the Vimana Beam both coming from the same OXP.
Notes on the above!
1) 2313 equipment is not true. It is 2313 mentions of "equipment" (presumably for listing on the F3 screen):

eg:
Secondary Gravity Scanner
Repair 2nd Gravity Scanner
Refund 2nd Gravity Scanner
Repair 2nd Gravity Scanner with second-hand parts
Gravity Scanner
Repair Gravity Scanner
Refund Gravity Scanner
Repair Gravity Scanner with second-hand parts
are 8 of the database equipment entries: but to me they are only 2 pieces of equipment.

eg:
Aft Military Laser
Forward Military Laser
Port Military Laser
Starboard Military Laser
are 4 of the database equipment entries: but to me there is only the 1 piece of equipment (Military Laser).

eg:
Service Level Perfect
Service Level Minimal!
Service Level Bad
Service Level Bad
Service Level Bad
Service Level Bad
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Weak
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
Service Level Good
are some 26 of the database equipment entries: are any of them pieces of equipment?

Hence the perceived need to do this manually...

2) Dual listings

This scenario is already reality with the Vimana HUD and the Vimana Beam both coming from the same OXP.
So the OXP pages are categorised according to the type of OXP. I hope to categorise the equipment redirect pages according to the type of equipment.

So far I've come across two difficulties with dual listings.
i) Some pieces of Equipment (especially those from the vanilla game) have their own content-filled page: so these will also be tagged with the Equipment category.
ii) Some OXP pages include a piece of equipment with the same name as the page: eg Sniper Gun, which is both the name of the OXP and of one of the 6 pieces of equipment described on that page: so that page gets tagged both for the OXP category and for the Laser category - while the other 5 redirect pages get tagged accordingly ( laser / equipment (defensive) / equipment (offensive) ) depending on their content.
I intend to put up a link for the Category:Laser page on the Category:Equipment (Offensive) page.

O August and Illustrious Compiler of Databases - does this make any sense, or am I being a twit?
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Oh, I also came across a note from Norby on his HardShips page:

There are some hidden equipments in this OXP, please do not ask or publish it in the forum if you found one, think on others who want to find it in the game. If you are unsure to something is a bug or feature then ask the author in email (norbylite at gmail com) or in private message (Norby).

Sadly I've already created redirects for one or two of these. But I presume that they will get lost in the morass of Wiki pages - especially if I don't tag them as equipment.

And, as mentioned elsewhere, I'm leaving out stuff like "Cloaking Device", "Unit 3 button", "Recovered Prototype Ship Schematics" (all special equipment for/from missions) and the various ship's cats. People would know where to look - and I don't want to spoil their fun!

See: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p277944
Comments wanted: