Oolite Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Oolite Wiki

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 pm
I've started with the lasers. I've created a new category (Lasers) which is now a subcategory of Weapons OXPs, and tagged all the redirect pages to that we have a list of all this stuff somewhere!

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Lasers
I like that thinking and the page. :-)
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm
Specialized bus interface components connect the 80286 local bus to both the buffered local bus and the system bus. These interface components process the signals that come from the 80286 local bus and generate appropriate signals for use on the buffered local bus or the public system bus.
Well, I can parse it. That's about it. It sounds very esoterical to me: Zen and the art of bus conducting? Not at all nice, simple and straightforwards like dear old Immanuel's Critique, Iamblichus' Treatise on the Theology of Arithmetic or anything like that!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:36 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm
Specialized bus interface components connect the 80286 local bus to both the buffered local bus and the system bus. These interface components process the signals that come from the 80286 local bus and generate appropriate signals for use on the buffered local bus or the public system bus.
Well, I can parse it. That's about it. It sounds very esoterical to me: Zen and the art of bus conducting? Not at all nice, simple and straightforwards like dear old Immanuel's Critique, Iamblichus' Treatise on the Theology of Arithmetic or anything like that! ...and I never realised that bus numbers could be so long...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

To whomever is interested in how I created the index of artefacts:
I just published the source code of the project at https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/OoliteAddonScanner

If the web project (https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/OoliteOxpRepository) starts flying, the scanner may very well be assimilated and no longer necessary as separate, manually-run command line application.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 pm
I just published the source code of the project at https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/OoliteAddonScanner

If the web project (https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/OoliteOxpRepository) starts flying, the scanner may very well be assimilated and no longer necessary as separate, manually-run command line application.
I'd love to respond, but all this is well over my poor head!
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

ISSUE with wiki

the page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... evelopment has a number of links on it which seem alive but do not respond when clicked on!

Does anybody understand what is going on?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:07 pm
hiran wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 pm

I'd love to respond, but all this is well over my poor head!
True, this last post is of technical nature.

But the problem that needs to be resolved is not too technical actually.

All wiki maintainers and expansion authors could actually decide whether the stuff I built is useful and shall be utilized. That would mean a central installation on the internet somehwere - it is not intended for everybody to operate his own stuff. Can not someone take a decision, or should there be a voting? How are decisions taken in this community?

Once the decision is taken it is just a matter of implementation. This is a technical topic, and I could resolve that actually with the owners of the currently used three websites. Who is running those (homepage, wiki and forum) today?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:08 pm
ISSUE with wiki

the page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... evelopment has a number of links on it which seem alive but do not respond when clicked on!

Does anybody understand what is going on?
The pages were created by winston in 2006. Most likely nowadays irrelevant and therefore could be deleted. However, since he is the wiki-ueber-master better check with him or Maik first. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

hiran wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:46 pm
Who is running those (homepage, wiki and forum) today?
Winston owns alioth.net, and has moved on; Giles owns aegidian.org, and has moved on; and I 'think' Jens owns oolite.org, and has moved on.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:02 pm
Winston owns alioth.net, and has moved on; Giles owns aegidian.org, and has moved on; and I 'think' Jens owns oolite.org, and has moved on.
They moved on but still own the domain? Who is actively hosting the site? Who provides support? Is there noone today?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:15 pm
They moved on but still own the domain? Who is actively hosting the site? Who provides support? Is there noone today?
Maybe they still own the domains because they were members of the original team building Oolite. Giles is the founder of this game. I mentioned it before already, this is a platform with coming and going volunteers, not a company where you could put rules and regulations for everything.

Regarding Cholmondely's mail, good luck with telling the owner what he could or not could put on his server. :roll:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

No! NO!! NO!!! ... Heresy!

St Giles transcended the Eight in the Great Occultation. The Holy Jens, his Vicar of The Eight, Co-ordinator of the Celestial Codes of Creation likewise enjoyed the transcendence of the Maximal Occultation.

The nature of the Maximal Occultation being what it is, the transcendence of entities does not imply the transcendence of their wallets (ugly, vulgar, morbid & material manifestations), which remain within the mundane space of The Eight to fund the endeavors of the now-occultated.

What transpired with Winston is of course quite different. The quiescence of the Dismal Prophet on this point lends substance to the suspicions that the disappearance of Winston is due to the intervention of the dreaded Witchspace Lobster. Put quite simply, the Wondrous Winston was ingested and then digested by the WL. Unlike the ingestion and digestion of a homespace lobster which involves the simultaneous digestion of the contents of one's wallet, the ingestion & digestion of the WW by the WL did not affect the contents of the wallet, which remained to fund the Elite/Oolite Wikipedia.

It's all quite simple, really!

Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:28 pm
hiran wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:15 pm
Maybe they still own the domains because they were members of the original team building Oolite. Giles is the founder of this game. I mentioned it before already, this is a platform with coming and going volunteers, not a company where you could put rules and regulations for everything.

Regarding Cholmondely's mail, good luck with telling the owner what he could or not could put on his server. :roll:
Well, maybe we do not have to tell them what to do or what not to.

We might try to reach out and ask them kindly whether we could move on their baby and let it experience some wonderful future. If the anwer is yes, we could then say that this may require some changes on admin level and maybe they choose someone to perform this on their behalf. It would not require them to come back other than this one step.

So we have identified three persons. Does someone have contact details to reach out? (do not share them in public, that is personally identifyable data that these individuals may not want to be published).
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:08 pm
Hmmm, maybe we still need a good definition what we want to achieve.

From my POV, I am still searching for a good documentation where I can lookup stuff when playing the game. So my goal would be to go for a complete documentation set. However that is a lot of work, now that I see the amount of artefacts myself.

How about taking it in phases? (which would not mean we must not work on stuff of the other phases, but we could focus our attention to fewer issues):
Phase 1: All expansions
Phase 2: All player playable ships
Phase 3: All visible equipment
Phase 4: Complete the missing parts
So I can say we almost reached phase 1. All but 18 expansions have their wiki pages up. Content not verified, but that can be edited by almost any user if discrepancies are found.
I will try to finish the missing 18, but it seems information for those needs to be collected and put up.

@Cholmondeley, could you maybe have an eye over my actions?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

All but 18 expansions have their wiki pages up
impressive!