The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Post by SirArian »

Cody wrote:
Have you got the right stuff? Have you got what it takes to patiently follow NPCs around, observing their actions and reactions, noting and reporting any oddities? Can you play the dumb end-user who does unexpected things - crazy stuff those boffins simply cannot predict? You would need to be an experienced pilot who has completed all the native missions, be in possession of an iron-assed ship (preferably an Oolite core ship), and to know your way around the Eight.

Two test pilots are wanted to test an upcoming OXZ for Oolite 1.79 - there may be dull patrols, there may be combat scenarios, there may even be cake!

Interested? Apply via PM to either myself or Pleb.

The successful applicants will be notified via PM - unsuccessful applicants will be spaced!
That sounds fun... Especially with what I have seen about HIMSN elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't meet most of those requirements. My ship is (currently) neither core nor iron-assed, and I have never been past galaxy 3, so that kinda rules out the one for the native missions. Oh well. I'll wait till it's released and get it then. :D (Unless you want a woefully under qualified tester... In which case, let me know! :D )
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Interstellar Tweaks version 4.3 is now out. Details (and download links) in this thread. Thanks for the testing, guys.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Rustem wrote two OXPs for experienced players which may well have been languishing in the dust.

Would there be any chance of guildmembers giving them a stab and then giving some feedback?

*Assassin Shipset Pack: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Assassin_Shipset_Pack - on the Expansions Manager

*Stealth Raiders: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Stealth_Raiders - Box link is on new wiki page

1) Ratings for OXP difficulty (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_Levelindicators) would be jolly useful ... and (2) knowing if they are playable or bug-ridden (the ReadMe's are rather scary, crawling with WIP's and ToDo's).

3) And, if, as he states, they are safe for beginners (as the McNasties supposedly leave beginners alone).

I beg, worthy Guildmembers, to remain yours, et cetera,

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm
Rustem wrote two OXPs for experienced players which may well have been languishing in the dust.

Would there be any chance of guildmembers giving them a stab and then giving some feedback?
Given the seven Oorbits between posts, I'm wondering if the question might be "Would there be any chance of guildmembers..?"

I don't think I meet the entry criteria for the Guild (tho' that never stopped me before *grin*), but I've a fairly fresh Jameson in montana's updated Firefly; could be an interesting scenario to explore these, if no better offer arrives..

Is there a wiki badge for "Oolite Crash-Test Dummy" ??
POEE CHAPLIN of the Diocese of Intemperate and Blasphemous Potentates (DIBP)
Hail Eris =><= All Hail, Discordia
I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star..
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

andrax_iON wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:46 am

Given the seven Oorbits between posts, I'm wondering if the question might be "Would there be any chance of guildmembers..?"

I don't think I meet the entry criteria for the Guild (tho' that never stopped me before *grin*), but I've a fairly fresh Jameson in montana's updated Firefly; could be an interesting scenario to explore these, if no better offer arrives..

Is there a wiki badge for "Oolite Crash-Test Dummy" ??
I would have thought that you are currently the most active member! Whether you feel that you have the experience to determine the experience level needed to fight these these is another matter... but you could certainly let us know if they are safe for starting players as Rustem averred.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:50 am
I would have thought that you are currently the most active member!
Oh, dear.. 8~/
.. but you could certainly let us know if they are safe for starting players as Rustem averred.
All good, so far; Cmdr. Firefly had about 9Cr and a handful of computers when I replied, he's now completed a dozen or so loops Qutiri<>Isinor paying off the upgrades & no 'incidents' as yet.

I really like this ship, goes like the clappers (tho' slow to accelerate, slower to stop) so out-pacing the few pOorates we've encountered has been pretty easy. Looking forward to upgrading to Military lasers & see what that triple front mount can do.. *evil grin*

cheers!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

andrax_iON wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 am
Oh, dear.. 8~/
.. but you could certainly let us know if they are safe for starting players as Rustem averred.
All good, so far; Cmdr. Firefly had about 9Cr and a handful of computers when I replied, he's now completed a dozen or so loops Qutiri<>Isinor paying off the upgrades & no 'incidents' as yet.

I really like this ship, goes like the clappers (tho' slow to accelerate, slower to stop) so out-pacing the few pOorates we've encountered has been pretty easy. Looking forward to upgrading to Military lasers & see what that triple front mount can do.. *evil grin*

cheers!
Great! I do think that your reports have given the QTHI AntiZap & Recession OXP Wiki pages a major lift.
Comments wanted:
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:40 am
Great! I do think that your reports have given the QTHI AntiZap & Recession OXP Wiki pages a major lift.
Yr too kind.. *blush*

Reminds me - I do firmly believe that 'Recession' belongs in the 'Broken/Unfinished OXPs' list. I added 'EnteringTraderAI' to the character's ship for testing, which at least got 'em en route to Riedquat, but without that change I'm pretty sure he'd have spent all eternity looping 'round the witchpoint buoy or jumping off to other systems. The method for assigning furs as contraband (illegal_goods.plist) may now be invalid - see Trade-goods.plist : "The trade-goods.plist file replaces and extends the old commodities.plist and illegal_goods.plist files from Oolite 1.81 onwards to allow greater flexibility in trade good definitions, including defining entirely new goods.". Without those two 'features', there's not much left in this pack.

cheers!
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Quick first point - there are some dependencies (Required OXPs) not mentioned yet on the wiki pages :

'Feudal States' (req'd by Assassin S/set) requires PlanetFall - tho' Feudal States suggests "access to missions requires the installation of Planetfall OXP", I get a load fail without it & 'Assassins' and 'Stealth Raiders' both collapse behind that;

'Stealth Raiders' actually requires 'Assassin Shipset', also fails if not met.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:40 am
andrax_iON wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 am
Oh, dear.. 8~/

cheers!
Thank you sir.
Both pages (& Recession, too) now updated.
Comments wanted:
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Interim Report #2 :

Happy to sign off on the 'safe for starting players' aspect; have now traded my way to full Iron@ss spec on the Firefly, incl. military lasers front/rear & military shield enhancement, without any noticeable change in threat level. Stopped at a couple of seedy space bars along the way, just to get a feel for the vibe - had to fight my way in the second time (rogue Asp, quickly dispatched) & beginning to think that I'll need to review my normal trading patterns/commodities (some cheap narcotics & firearms to be had, good sh!t too 8~) ).

Since the shields were upgraded, I've started hanging around Feudal & Anarchic states a bit more, looking to provoke some contacts & generally stir up trouble. Haven't found a hunting lodge yet, also no 'Stealth Raiders' yet tho' I've been sun-skimming whenever my trade route suggests an opportunity. Took on a first 'hit' contract but got beaten to the kill by another hired laser - very generous part-payment for my effort, tho'.

Currently making my way towards the Devil's Triangle (see if montana's still hanging around there); there's a metric sh!tload of new missile types available (Armoury.oxz?), an' I'm thinking this could be the time to test the Vimana laser on the triple front mount. I figure, if I can buy this stuff, I'd be naive to think NPCs ain' using it already..

cheers!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

andrax_iON wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:26 am
Interim Report #2 :

Happy to sign off on the 'safe for starting players' aspect; have now traded my way to full Iron@ss spec on the Firefly, incl. military lasers front/rear & military shield enhancement, without any noticeable change in threat level. Stopped at a couple of seedy space bars along the way, just to get a feel for the vibe - had to fight my way in the second time (rogue Asp, quickly dispatched) & beginning to think that I'll need to review my normal trading patterns/commodities (some cheap narcotics & firearms to be had, good sh!t too 8~) ).

Since the shields were upgraded, I've started hanging around Feudal & Anarchic states a bit more, looking to provoke some contacts & generally stir up trouble. Haven't found a hunting lodge yet, also no 'Stealth Raiders' yet tho' I've been sun-skimming whenever my trade route suggests an opportunity. Took on a first 'hit' contract but got beaten to the kill by another hired laser - very generous part-payment for my effort, tho'.

Currently making my way towards the Devil's Triangle (see if montana's still hanging around there); there's a metric sh!tload of new missile types available (Armoury.oxz?), an' I'm thinking this could be the time to test the Vimana laser on the triple front mount. I figure, if I can buy this stuff, I'd be naive to think NPCs ain' using it already..

cheers!
Noble Sir, your opinion on the Nexus missiles (5 varieties) would be greatly appreciated if/when you can manage the time! I've tentatively given them a blue rating, but am just making stuff up. Your nuanced powers of critique, observation and analysis could undoubtedly provide a much more robust and objective determination of the matter than your feeble servant would manage: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Nexus_Missile
Comments wanted:
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:33 am
Noble Sir.. <snip> Your nuanced powers..
Jeez, Mr. C - I thought the seedy space bars had some good pOo, can I have some o' what you're smoking pleez??

8~)
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

andrax_iON wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:26 am

cheers!
Currently, out to terminate Speaker Mollon, after the hit will do some R&R at the entertainment district of the Seedy Space Bar in Retila. 8)
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

montana05 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:58 am
Currently, out to terminate Speaker Mollon, after the hit will do some R&R at the entertainment district of the Seedy Space Bar in Retila. 8)
Awright! 's gonna take me a coupla hops, I'll grab some lethal h2o at Edzaon 'n' give ya a yell.. 8~)

Mr. C - re the Nexus missiles, 'twill be both an honour and a pleasure to give 'em my best effort.

cheers!