Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Budget alternatives for default Cobra Mark III?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RGVV
Competent
Competent

Budget alternatives for default Cobra Mark III?

Post by RGVV »

Good day,

I know the Adder and the OXP of the Copperhead Mk. II as both alternatives for the default Cobra Mark III. Although the Copperhead Mk. II is cheaper (100.000 credits) than the Cobra Mark III it's a bit faster and it has the same load capacity (20 tons).

Anyway, are there other affordable (OXP) ships for Oolite, priced let's say: somewhere between the Adder and the Cobra Mark III?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Robert.
I was born in Xixax (oh la la la dee)/On my mama's farm/My father was a junkie/Und wir war'n sehr arm/My brother was a soldier (ooh)/By the war in Vietnam (shoot)/My uncle is a spy/In the Soviet Union
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Budget alternatives for default Cobra Mark III?

Post by stranger »

Cobra Mk I is very interesting scenario, I like it. It gives you challenge to deserve Cobra Mk III.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

RGVV wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 pm
Anyway, are there other affordable (OXP) ships for Oolite, priced let's say: somewhere between the Adder and the Cobra Mark III?
As much as I remember there are, with the wiki down I just can't search which ones. After my Cobra Mark III I used a Cobra Mark III-XT for a while but later was looking for something more advanced. However, since most of my ships got an improvement in armaments I wouldn't mind to add an advanced trader for a change, what you would have in mind ? ;)
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

Cobra Mk I is very interesting scenario, I like it.
How could I forget the Cobra Make I? What I mean is something in the similar class of Adder/Cobra Mark I/Cobra Mark III.
I was born in Xixax (oh la la la dee)/On my mama's farm/My father was a junkie/Und wir war'n sehr arm/My brother was a soldier (ooh)/By the war in Vietnam (shoot)/My uncle is a spy/In the Soviet Union
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff's Ophidian is a bulk hauler at a reasonable price (from memory, about 150k).
Can't recall its cargo capacity, though I think it's more than the Cobra Mk III.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Honourable mention for the Moray (esp. seeing as you've already mentioned the Adder).

Cargo capacity of 7TC isn't that much yet lies between the Adder and the Mk I.
Speed however is superior to both of them and so you may still make money faster with the Moray than with the Mk I.

Key things to consider:
  • Speed
  • Cargo
  • Energy (incl. recharge rate)
  • Price
Yes, equipment and armament options are important too but they become much more exploitable once you're up and running rather than when you're starting out.

Moray is second to the MkI in cargo capacity but superior in both speed and energy (the latter of which is almost equal to that of the MkIII, if not quite as fast at recharging). At 125,000 Cr it places half way between the MkI and the MkIII.

One more thing that might be worth mentioning is the Oolite's creator boosted the speed of only 2 playable ships (almost certainly to counter lengthy mass-locks and facilitate escaping from pirates at least some of the time): the MkIII and the Moray.

As always, it depends on what you want but the Moray is a tough little ship, not too slow and with just enough capacity to make milk runs worthwhile (and the MED version can even equip a large cargo bay).
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

Honourable mention for the Moray (esp. seeing as you've already mentioned the Adder).
Hey, thanks, I've never considered the Moray as an option, will definitely check this out! :D
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

I traded my Cobra Mark III in for a DTT Tomahawk. It has a slightly more generous cargo capacity (24t) and has a speed of 355mLS. I'm sorry to tell you I can't remember how much I paid for it though.