Oolite Wikipedia - some issues

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Oolite Wikipedia - some issues

Post by maik »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm
Why is the wiki Frontier's Zaonce page tagged "Deletion because of capitalisation"?

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Zaonce - see bottom of page

What does this actually mean?
Looking at the page’s history: Jongware used some mechanism to auto-generate the page in 2007 (it says so at the bottom of the page), and marked it for deletion the same day. I guess he wasn’t happy with the results. The reason given in the deleteme template is free text, you can write whatever you think describes the reason well enough.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

New Sports page is now up: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Sports

Problem!

The Rough Guide to the Ooniverse contradicts The Assassins Guild OXP!
Firstly, Zero-G hockey, the galactic sport is currently enjoying it's 150th Galactic championship. Here, the top 32 systems "battle" it out to see who can lift the coveted Galactic Cup. Systems have to enter a "world" team (made up of the best players in their system) for qualification. This prestigious tournament, held every four years, is the number one event and this year, Zaonce have qualified for the first time in over 70 years. Zero-G has a long and fascinating history and it is well worth checking out Zero-G: The Definitive Guide - Past, Present and Future 44th Edition, Published by Trantor House, Lave
The sport of Zero-G Hockey is extremely popular in galaxy 7, with a Galactic Cup Competition being held every year. The large lizards of the Tiared System are known to be particularly obsessed with this strange pastime. Amongst Zero-G Hockey Fans however, the system is best known as the headquarters of the Galactic Zero-G Hockey Association.
Situated on the northern continent of the planet, the association organizes the annual Galactic Cup and its members provide stewards and referees with training. Competition for the system hosting the cup is supposedly decided upon merit, although many complain that the hosting is fixed, Tiared having hosted the last five competitions.
Any interesting solutions? I can easily edit the Rough Guide entry if that helps. Relevant links should be found on the new wiki page.

The top text is from Gareth3377 (2008), the bottom from LittleBear & Captain Hesperus (2007).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:35 pm
The large lizards of the Tiared System are known to be particularly obsessed with this strange pastime.
Last time I was there, Tiared was inhabited by Green Bug-Eyed Birds!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:28 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:35 pm
The large lizards of the Tiared System are known to be particularly obsessed with this strange pastime.
Last time I was there, Tiared was inhabited by Green Bug-Eyed Birds!
Huumph! One presumes either that the Birds are the majority species, or that The Assassins Guild OXP has done them all in!

It was never entered on the http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/List_o ... ed_in_OXPs - traditional Assassins' Guild secrecy?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You could put the every year/every four years thing down to an inevitable confusion about what "year" means to a Tiaredi. Common parlance in the Co-operative defines "year" as being one orbit of a planet around its star; however, to the average Tiaredi, a "year" actually means four orbits, due to the synodic cycle of the planet Tiared and the system's major gas giant. To avoid confusion, a four-orbit period should be called a Year, with a capital Y, or (better) a Great Year. Naturally, this does not actually avoid confusion.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:28 pm
One presumes either that the Birds are the majority species...
I'd have thought 'dominant' would be a better description. Humans are the dominant species on Earth, but nowhere near the majority species.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:50 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:28 pm
One presumes either that the Birds are the majority species...
I'd have thought 'dominant' would be a better description. Humans are the dominant species on Earth, but nowhere near the majority species.
'Intelligent' (ahem) majority perhaps?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Having put up on the wiki links to all the Ship's Equipment that I could unearth, I now would like to try the same for the entries on the F2/F3/F4/F5/F6/F7/F8 pages.

1) Clarification, please!

I understand that GUI refers to General User Interface. So these would be the F2-F8 screens and presumably also their dependants (such as the F3F3/F5F5/F6F6/F8F8 screens).

Are there any other screens which would be called GUI screens?

2) If I've missed out any equipment, please let me know!
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:54 pm
I understand that GUI refers to General User Interface.
Make that Graphical User Interface.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

I'd like to validate against the IDs or text entries I find in the OXPs. What names did you assign to the pages? Or are they tagged somehow?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:30 pm
I'd like to validate against the IDs or text entries I find in the OXPs. What names did you assign to the pages? Or are they tagged somehow?
I just cut and pasted the names from the F3 and F5 pages of the game. If you look at "Recent Changes" - 2nd entry from the top in the Navigation Box in the left hand margin of the wiki page you will see the damage I did once you also select the past 250 changes.

Or look here:

N = new page
m = minor twiddle as self-defined by me! (or you, if you did it!)

7 May 2021

m 01:23 Sector1/Digebiti‎ (diff | hist) . . (+21)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎Ebortsa's lucky charm: Amplification of detail)
01:21 Ebortsa's lucky charm‎ (diff | hist) . . (+691)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (More crucial information)
00:40 Royal Hunting Lodge‎ (diff | hist) . . (+637)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (How could this have been a stub? Ghastly! Gruesome!)
m 00:26 GalCop's Most Wanted‎ (diff | hist) . . (+2)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Apostrophes! Death to grammatical infelicities!)
N 00:25 Bounty Hunter's License‎ (diff | hist) . . (+34)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 00:22 Auxiliary Fuel Tank (50,000cr)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+28)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 00:21 Reserve Fuel Tank (10,000cr)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+28)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 00:18 Repair Nanobots‎ (diff | hist) . . (+29)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 00:16 Internal Fuel Tank (100cr)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+30)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 00:14 Extra Fuel Tank (70cr)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
00:01 Solar Flares‎ (diff | hist) . . (+1,473)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Added Cody's screen shots & gubbins from Wikipedia)
6 May 2021

23:48 Sun Gear‎ (diff | hist) . . (+1,184)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Added Astrolibrary & Advanced System Data MFD)
N 23:46 Advanced System Data MFD‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 23:38 Personal Assistance Device‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 23:38 PAD‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 23:37 P.A.D.‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
23:37 Vector OXP‎ (diff | hist) . . (+102)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Added P.A.D.)
23:25 Welcome Mat OXP‎ (diff | hist) . . (+118)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Tweaks)
N 23:21 Planetary Information System‎ (diff | hist) . . (+29)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 23:15 Warrant Scanner‎ (diff | hist) . . (+27)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
22:47 Vimana HUD‎‎ (2 changes | history) . . (+61)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (2×)]
N 22:44 Target Filtering System‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Redirected page to Vimana HUD) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:43 TFSys‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:42 Vimana Beam (Laser)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:40 Travel Module‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:40 Ship Module‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:39 Target Module‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:36 Vimana Ship Overrides‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:34 Salvager Rankings‎ (diff | hist) . . (+20)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:32 Salvager License‎ (diff | hist) . . (+20)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:31 Salvage Missile‎ (diff | hist) . . (+20)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:29 Tug Drone‎ (diff | hist) . . (+20)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:29 Ship Miner‎ (diff | hist) . . (+20)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:26 Laser Reductor‎ (diff | hist) . . (+20)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 22:24 Personal Fireworks‎ (diff | hist) . . (+27)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
22:21 Sector1/Digebiti‎ (diff | hist) . . (+65)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎OXPs: Added Ebortsa's lucky charm)
N 22:18 Ebortsa's lucky charm‎‎ (2 changes | history) . . (+1,223)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (2×)]
N 22:08 TraderNet‎ (diff | hist) . . (+25)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
22:06 User:Cholmondely‎‎ (7 changes | history) . . (+272)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (7×)]
m 21:57 User:Astrobe‎ (diff | hist) . . (+4)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎OXPs: Links!)
21:55 User:Ahruman‎ (diff | hist) . . (+152)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Added more links)
N 21:41 Mine Safety Catch‎ (diff | hist) . . (+25)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:37 Raider‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:36 Robot Fighter‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:35 Light Fighter‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:29 Fighter Hangar‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:29 Fighter Support Center‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:25 Large Dish‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:24 Small Dish‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:24 Auto steering‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:23 Sniper Ring‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:22 Lightballs‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:19 Target Banking Module (TBM)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+35)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:18 Target Memory Interface (TMI)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+35)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 21:18 Short Range Snapshot (SRS)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+35)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
21:05 Target Autolock OXP‎ (diff | hist) . . (+35)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎Overview: Added the missing term Automatic Target Acquisition)
N 21:04 Automatic Target Acquisition‎ (diff | hist) . . (+33)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:54 APRIL Pylon Reloader‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:53 Pylon Reloader‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:51 Fighter Bay‎ (diff | hist) . . (+22)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:43 Fuel Generator‎ (diff | hist) . . (+697)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created)
N 20:31 Core Energy Unit‎ (diff | hist) . . (+76)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Pasted in relevant description from Capisastra OXP page) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:30 System Drive‎ (diff | hist) . . (+72)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:29 Thruspace Hyperdrive‎ (diff | hist) . . (+78)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:28 Standard HUD/IFF Scanner‎ (diff | hist) . . (+80)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:26 Primary Shield Generator‎ (diff | hist) . . (+82)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:22 Gravity Scanner‎ (diff | hist) . . (+23)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:21 Self-Repair System‎ (diff | hist) . . (+29)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
20:16 User talk:Cholmondely‎‎ (3 changes | history) . . (+380)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (3×)]
N 20:14 Scanner‎ (diff | hist) . . (+24)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 20:13 Telescope Extender‎ (diff | hist) . . (+364)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created)
N 18:04 Solar Flares‎ (diff | hist) . . (+1,362)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created)
N 17:28 Dockside Services‎ (diff | hist) . . (+1,497)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created)
16:57 Oolite Equipment‎ (diff | hist) . . (+38)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎Be aware of the following 4 points: Added!)
N 16:50 Equipment Aide OXP‎‎ (3 changes | history) . . (+1,585)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (3×)]
16:37 Career Options‎‎ (2 changes | history) . . (+242)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (2×)]
16:09 Contracts‎ (diff | hist) . . (+185)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎OXP Options: Added more)
15:58 Oolite Trading‎‎ (5 changes | history) . . (+2,496)‎ . . [Cholmondely‎ (5×)]
N 15:55 Cargo Contract Mod OXP‎ (diff | hist) . . (+18,614)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created)
N 15:06 Market Cooldown‎ (diff | hist) . . (+1,901)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created)
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 pm
I just cut and pasted the names from the F3 and F5 pages of the game. If you look at "Recent Changes" - 2nd entry from the top in the Navigation Box in the left hand margin of the wiki page you will see the damage I did once you also select the past 250 changes.

Or look here:

N = new page
m = minor twiddle as self-defined by me! (or you, if you did it!)

7 May 2021

m 01:23 Sector1/Digebiti‎ (diff | hist) . . (+21)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (→‎Ebortsa's lucky charm: Amplification of detail)
01:21 Ebortsa's lucky charm‎ (diff | hist) . . (+691)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (More crucial information)
00:40 Royal Hunting Lodge‎ (diff | hist) . . (+637)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (How could this have been a stub? Ghastly! Gruesome!)
m 00:26 GalCop's Most Wanted‎ (diff | hist) . . (+2)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Apostrophes! Death to grammatical infelicities!)
N 00:25 Bounty Hunter's License‎ (diff | hist) . . (+34)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
N 00:22 Auxiliary Fuel Tank (50,000cr)‎ (diff | hist) . . (+28)‎ . . Cholmondely (talk | contribs) (Page Created) (Tag: New redirect)
[...]
From that I take that you took the 'OXP title', not the OXP's identifier as page title. Good enough, I will try to check which of the pages do exist.
If you see some traffic scanning the wiki that might be me.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:46 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 pm

From that I take that you took the 'OXP title', not the OXP's identifier as page title. Good enough, I will try to check which of the pages do exist.
If you see some traffic scanning the wiki that might be me.
Sorry, don't understand the difference!

I took on board your comments which made a lot of sense, and looked for how things were named in the game. If I'm playing the game, what are the names that I see?

So: Thargoid's repair bots. In-game they are listed on both the F3 & F5 screens as Self-Repair System, but the cheapest version is listed as Repair Nanobots. The OXZ is listed as Repair Bots on the Expansions Manager. The wiki page is already called Repair Bots OXP.
So I created 2 redirects: Self-Repair system and several hours later, Repair Nanobots.
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Congratulations with earning your Oolite wiki badge

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 pm
Congratulations with earning your Oolite wiki badge
Thanking you, Sir!

I do miss my funeral hatchment, though.

Do funeral hatchments exist on the Continent (France, Germany...)? Does anyone know?
Comments wanted: