Dictators 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Dictators 2.0

Post by phkb »

OK, this has been updated. V2.5 should fix the compatibility issue with RC.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm thinking of doing a wiki page on Religion.

What is the status of the third dictatorship - and is there a name for the religion - or is it just for generic theocracies galaxy wide?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm
I'm thinking of doing a wiki page on Religion.

What is the status of the third dictatorship - and is there a name for the religion - or is it just for generic theocracies galaxy wide?
Currently, on hold for probably another 2 month. The latest version includes several modifications of the original OXP, so I might split it up in 2 packages. The name and parts of the lore already exists, you can find it here: Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am

Currently, on hold for probably another 2 month. The latest version includes several modifications of the original OXP, so I might split it up in 2 packages. The name and parts of the lore already exists, you can find it here: Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard.
Religion page is now up, as you will have seen.

Thinking about your new OXP.

Religions do NOT co-operate.
Just think about the ones we have! (The only example of co-operation I ever heard of was a group of Dalits (untouchables) in the city of Coventry in England, where the local Dalit Hindus and Sikhs - if I recall - would use the same building for worship.)

One religion might tolerate the existence of others (the marshes of southern Iraq used to be a veritable museum of old religions: obscure varieties of oriental Christianity, heretical Jewish sects, Yazidis, Gnostics, Sunnis & Shias all spread across various villages), but that really seems to be as far as things have gone historically.

I just don't see any Theocracies other than the Church of the Holy Witchspace using your models, even with a different logo on the front. So the CHW will inevitably have to be strong and numerous to build such a large navy. There are 31? dictatorships in Galaxy One/Santaari. How many would be theocracies? And of those, how many would be CHW? Is species type relevant? Are all lobstoids evil heretics by definition?

We already have Reorte (the only religious dictatorship in the Rough Guide), which is in a unique constant state of religious flux, so they would not use the Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard ships or temples.

*Presumably CHW will attack the missionaries/crusaders of the Witchspace Lobster (the other leading witchspace religion) on sight! What about the Black Monks? What about the other missionaries?

*Would they also be paying visits (accompanying bishops for example) to non-Dictatorships to minister to the flock living in the Dar el-Harb? With consequent titillating encounters with Black Monks etc!

*Would there be theocracies of other religions? These (eg Reorte) should either use the usual ships from Zorgon Petterson etc or, if large enough, design their own navies?

*Would there be other systems in Galaxy One, unmapped by GalCop, which are nevertheless part of the CHW?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I think some religions could co-operate … it would depend on the religion. The various polytheistic religions knocking around the Roman world rubbed along without any fuss: your Zeus is my Jupiter, we both have Apollo, this river deity Sulis is wise, you say? She's probably Minerva/Athena with another hat on, you know what she's like, and *of course* you can build a temple to Isis - the more the merrier! And every self-respecting home will have its own personal household gods too.

We-have-the-one-true-path religions tend not to get on with others, although even there there are some who are totally fine with unbelievers following whatever pagan nonsense they like, no skin off our chin … especially if said ignorant pagans are a whole other species. I mean, what possible point would there be in expecting some mammal to bow down before the Great Hive? They'd just shed their fur over everything, ick. Much better if they're all together over there, being wrong on the other side of the street.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<chortles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:38 pm

Religion page is now up, as you will have seen.

Thinking about your new OXP.

Religions do NOT co-operate.
Just think about the ones we have! (The only example of co-operation I ever heard of was a group of Dalits (untouchables) in the city of Coventry in England, where the local Dalit Hindus and Sikhs - if I recall - would use the same building for worship.)

One religion might tolerate the existence of others (the marshes of southern Iraq used to be a veritable museum of old religions: obscure varieties of oriental Christianity, heretical Jewish sects, Yazidis, Gnostics, Sunnis & Shias all spread across various villages), but that really seems to be as far as things have gone historically.

I just don't see any Theocracies other than the Church of the Holy Witchspace using your models, even with a different logo on the front. So the CHW will inevitably have to be strong and numerous to build such a large navy. There are 31? dictatorships in Galaxy One/Santaari. How many would be theocracies? And of those, how many would be CHW? Is species type relevant? Are all lobstoids evil heretics by definition?

We already have Reorte (the only religious dictatorship in the Rough Guide), which is in a unique constant state of religious flux, so they would not use the Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard ships or temples.

*Presumably CHW will attack the missionaries/crusaders of the Witchspace Lobster (the other leading witchspace religion) on sight! What about the Black Monks? What about the other missionaries?

*Would they also be paying visits (accompanying bishops for example) to non-Dictatorships to minister to the flock living in the Dar el-Harb? With consequent titillating encounters with Black Monks etc!

*Would there be theocracies of other religions? These (eg Reorte) should either use the usual ships from Zorgon Petterson etc or, if large enough, design their own navies?

*Would there be other systems in Galaxy One, unmapped by GalCop, which are nevertheless part of the CHW?
CHW is not meant to cover all aspects of religion, it's a simple addition to dictators.OXP which works on an easy model as well. Currently, it covers all dictatorship worlds of a certain economic level. After the first release is stable more details might follow. For now the only opposition is the one with Communists. I guess when I started with the lore I had the Church of Universal Brotherhood from the Dumarest saga in mind. So while the church got a defense order (aka fleet) with either high-tech weapons or gifted (PSI) pilots (time will tell :lol: ) their best protection is the influence on other powerful leaders and organizations through their advisers and teachers.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:59 am
Why not "mainly industrial" systems ? In G1 there are 5 of this system with dictators, max TechLev 10. No interference with Black Monks so the temple could be at the same position and, to make this systems more interesting, some special trade deal from the orders.
PM now lurking in your in folder!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 pm
montana05 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:59 am
Why not "mainly industrial" systems ? In G1 there are 5 of this system with dictators, max TechLev 10. No interference with Black Monks so the temple could be at the same position and, to make this systems more interesting, some special trade deal from the orders.
PM now lurking in your in folder!
Thank you, reply sent. While I don't get a message for incoming mails anymore, I do see comments on my post now. :wink:
Cody

Post by Cody »

montana05 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm
While I don't get a message for incoming mails anymore...
None of us get that anymore, it seems to have been disabled. If enabled in your UCP, you get an email when you've been quoted.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cody wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:19 pm
None of us get that anymore, it seems to have been disabled. If enabled in your UCP, you get an email when you've been quoted.
True, with the latest update this feature is disabled. However, I now receive again notifications for being quoted and for topics I subscribed.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:43 pm
Cody wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:19 pm
True, with the latest update this feature is disabled. However, I now receive again notifications for being quoted and for topics I subscribed.
For a moment a few days ago I also got redirected to https URLs. The certificate was not good, but it seems someone tried to work on the forum setup. But as it looks since then we are back to http.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

The missing shiplibrary.plist for this .oxp
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

phkb wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:53 am
OK, this has been updated. V2.5 should fix the compatibility issue with RC.
Does the quaestor show up anywhere? I do not seem have him shown up in the gallery...
Alucard
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Alucard »

Where can I get earlier versions of the OXP, after installing the latest update every time I try to land a Cobra IV on a Astro Factory using the Docking Computer the Ship Crashes (i.e. the ship gets destroyed)