Elite Wiki server down

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Elite Wiki server down

Post by another_commander »

Trying to download http://wiki.maikschulz.de/img_auth.php/ ... enus8k.oxz (original filename: http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/5/5 ... enus8k.oxz). It fails, is there something I am doing wrong from my side? The download does not work from the expansion manager, nor from a browser.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

another_commander wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 pm
Trying to download http://wiki.maikschulz.de/img_auth.php/ ... enus8k.oxz (original filename: http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/5/5 ... enus8k.oxz). It fails, is there something I am doing wrong from my side? The download does not work from the expansion manager, nor from a browser.
Ah ok, this URL is used to update the download counter for the files in the wiki. You can bypass it if you change "img_auth.php" in the URL to "images". Then you use the webserver directly, not the MediaWiki in-between. OXZ authors will lose information on downloads though. IMHO acceptable for the time being.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

OK, thanks maik, got it. So, here is what can be done to restore OXP availability until the main wiki is fixed:

1. Download this file: https://we.tl/t-kSL5XbzA2H. It is the collective OXP manifest, with all download links originally pointing to wiki.alioth.net now switched to point to maik's server.
2. Copy the file inside oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\Caches\org.aegidian.oolite (this is for Windows, use the equivalent cache locations for Linux and Mac as required). You can overwite the original file with the same name already there.
3. Launch Oolite. You can download OXPs now as you normally would

ATTENTION: DO NOT UPDATE THE EXPANSIONS LIST. If you do, then the manifests will be re-donwloaded from oolite.org and all download links will revert to the original wiki. You can update the expansion list again once the main wiki is back up online.

The above donwload link is valid for one week from the date of this post.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<applauds> Well done, the two of you!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

another_commander wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:23 pm
OK, thanks maik, got it. So, here is what can be done to restore OXP availability until the main wiki is fixed:
Great job, a_c, thank you muchly!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

another_commander wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:23 pm
2. Copy the file inside oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\Caches\org.aegidian.oolite (this is for Windows, use the equivalent cache locations for Linux and Mac as required). You can overwite the original file with the same name already there.
For Macs, the location is in your user's home directory, so in ~/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/. Mine actually did not include this file before, but copying your file there works for me. It picks up all the updates I have to do just nicely.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Would there be any chance (in the fullness of time, at the appropriate juncture) of being told what went wrong this time?

And, also, being told what went wrong last time (Nov 25th - Dec 4th)?

Do we need, for example, to handle the wiki with kid-gloves? Or get Redspear to dance widdershins and utter imprecations in Ancient Chaldean?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

maik wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:56 pm
In the meantime, if someone fancies a 2012 version of our wiki: voilà
Note: To serve the OXZ's from this server I turned off non-essential services (that includes the database) to use as little memory as possible as this server is quite constrained. Therefore, the 2012 version is not available at this time.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:11 pm
Would there be any chance (in the fullness of time, at the appropriate juncture) of being told what went wrong this time?

And, also, being told what went wrong last time (Nov 25th - Dec 4th)?

Do we need, for example, to handle the wiki with kid-gloves? Or get Redspear to dance widdershins and utter imprecations in Ancient Chaldean?
The time before last time (several years ago) there was a hardware problem with Winston's database server. If I get sharable information I will post it here.
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

This is a wonderful solution, very smart, I'm on a Mac and it works. Thanks all very much for your efforts - much appreciated.
I was born in Xixax (oh la la la dee)/On my mama's farm/My father was a junkie/Und wir war'n sehr arm/My brother was a soldier (ooh)/By the war in Vietnam (shoot)/My uncle is a spy/In the Soviet Union
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

Does this mean that repair of the original server is to be expected within one week?
I was born in Xixax (oh la la la dee)/On my mama's farm/My father was a junkie/Und wir war'n sehr arm/My brother was a soldier (ooh)/By the war in Vietnam (shoot)/My uncle is a spy/In the Soviet Union
Cody

Post by Cody »

Not necessarily!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

RGVV wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:42 pm
Does this mean that repair of the original server is to be expected within one week?
At the moment, no way to tell. I will post additional information when I receive it.
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

Thank you maik.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

I setup a new backup server (meant to do that for a long time already) and restored my latest backup. For the time being, you can reach it at http://85.214.218.129/mediawiki. It contains the wiki edits until end of September 2020, and is set to read-only (like the "old" backup server). What does not work (can't get it to install...) is the Semantic MediaWiki extension, so ship stats are displayed in a somewhat broken way. It looks like everything else works. Let me know if there is something that does not.