Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

unassigned F11 key in source file

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

unassigned F11 key in source file

Post by commander_STyx2909 »

I stumbled on this while looking through the source files and noticed the F11 key is unassigned at all. Probably a mistake. In both US and UK keyboard definition it always stops at:

Code: Select all

case SDLK_F10: keys[gvFunctionKey10] = YES; break;
Obviously F12 is assigned to Windowed/FullScreen toggle a few lines later.

Hope it helps. It could probably be better reported on Github. But a bit lazy today. :wink:
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Ubuntu 20.06. :mrgreen:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: unassigned F11 key in source file

Post by Cody »

Didn't F11 do something once upon a time?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Could not assign anything to it here, but running that foreign keyboard problem, that should not be fixed until SDL 2.x is iimplemented :(
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I found this:
Kaks wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:31 pm
Aha! Shutting the computer off the 'hard way' would also prevent oolite from cleaning up after itself, same as a crash.

Good to know you got your system sorted out!
If you're ever in the same situation again you can always press f12 to switch to windowed mode, where you'd be able to see the full screen resolution that caused all the trouble (game options screen, accessible from the f2 screen).

One other option would have been to press the esc key (in windows it's the same as quitting Oolite via the menu: you should then be back to your normal desktop, but restarting Oolite will bring back the wrong settings (so you'd have to do the f12 thing anyway)

And I almost forgot: pressing f11 will cycle through all display resolutions windows says are available: pressing f11 a few times should eventually take you to a usable display resolution.
However, shift-f11 should cycle through resolutions in the opposite direction. Instead of tapping f11 a gazillion times, tapping shift-f11 once might well have saved the day...

Something to highlight in the documentation for 1.75, methinks!
If needed: older versions of Oolite available here at the bottom of the page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:01 pm
pressing f11 will cycle through all display resolutions windows says are available
That's what it did - ten years ago! Thanks!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:01 pm
I found this:
Kaks wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:31 pm
Aha! Shutting the computer off the 'hard way' would also prevent oolite from cleaning up after itself, same as a crash.

Good to know you got your system sorted out!
If you're ever in the same situation again you can always press f12 to switch to windowed mode, where you'd be able to see the full screen resolution that caused all the trouble (game options screen, accessible from the f2 screen).

One other option would have been to press the esc key (in windows it's the same as quitting Oolite via the menu: you should then be back to your normal desktop, but restarting Oolite will bring back the wrong settings (so you'd have to do the f12 thing anyway)

And I almost forgot: pressing f11 will cycle through all display resolutions windows says are available: pressing f11 a few times should eventually take you to a usable display resolution.
However, shift-f11 should cycle through resolutions in the opposite direction. Instead of tapping f11 a gazillion times, tapping shift-f11 once might well have saved the day...

Something to highlight in the documentation for 1.75, methinks!
If needed: older versions of Oolite available here at the bottom of the page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite
Well done!
But I wonder if this is still the case. Unless this is Windows only feature and hence not implemented in core source code. I will post it on Github.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

If you read the thread, it supposedly worked for AppleMacs too.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

The F11 key used is deprecated and is reserved for eventual development needs. Hence, it cannot be mapped (or assigned) on any keyboard, whatever language is used.

This is a message from the Office of Galactic Affairs.