Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Cholmondely »

Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H Beam Piper starts with a detective/constable type being sent back in time from the far future and Kalvan falling into the time machine as it whizzes past.

Not too sure if it completely fits the bill.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

From Disembodied -- There's the Batman/Judge Dredd crossover story "Judgement on Gotham".
going have to decline this one. it clearly says DIMENSIONAL travel not time... sorry Big D

ffutures -- The Agent of T.E.R.R.A. series by Larry Maddock (1966-69)
ok this is 1.

RockDoctor -- "The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World".

this makes 2 and a MBP for picking a story i had just finished reading and gave me the idea for this question.
rules are 1 guess per post. so i am ignoring you second half...

Cholmondely -- i think this doesent count . a question of intent , escaping into the past is a consious decision. falling into a passing time machine sound like an accident.

so stuck at 2. only 3 to go.

i can think of at least 2 tv shows based on this premise. one from the early 1990's and another form 2010's
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

OK … then sticking with 2000AD, there's the Alan Moore short story "Chronocops!", following Ed Thursday and Joe Saturday as they zip about in time preventing people from murdering their own great-grandfathers, and other paradoxical crimes.
We called it a day. Actually, it was a para-temporal duty period of forty minutes duration, real time. We called it a day. It was easier.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Might as well mention that the Lord Kalvan series isn't time travel anyway, it's also dimensional. The hero is accidentally picked up by a dimensional travelling vehicle owned by the Paratime Police, escapes by shooting the pilot, and ends up in a parallel world with poorer technology and a different history.

Really surprised that nobody has mentioned the Timecop series, so I might as well do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timecop_(franchise)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

ok Big D makes it 3
and ffutures makes it 4. also gives a hint at one of the tv shows i gave a clue to.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, since nobody else seems to have any ideas, I'll try the TV series Legends of Tomorrow, in which Rip Hunter takes a time machine back from the future to try to stop the evil Vandal Savage from conquering the world, and is in turn chased by the Time Masters (time police) who really don't want him to try to change the history they were born in. Lots of other time travelling criminals in the series.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

The first season sees Time Master Rip Hunter going rogue after the immortal tyrant Vandal Savage conquered Earth and killed his wife and son.
Intending to save humanity and avenge his family, Hunter recruits a team of superheroes and villains who venture through time on a stolen time ship, the Waverider, to stop Savage’s rise to power.

ok i am going to say no on this one too. Vandal did not escape back in time he was always there. This seems more like the classic go back in time and kill Hittler before he takes over Germany and starts WW 2.

also not one of the 2 TV shows i mentioned..... your own previous answer had the answer to one of them.
OR i could go with
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:24 pm
The first season sees Time Master Rip Hunter going rogue after the immortal tyrant Vandal Savage conquered Earth and killed his wife and son.
Intending to save humanity and avenge his family, Hunter recruits a team of superheroes and villains who venture through time on a stolen time ship, the Waverider, to stop Savage’s rise to power.

ok i am going to say no on this one too. Vandal did not escape back in time he was always there. This seems more like the classic go back in time and kill Hittler before he takes over Germany and starts WW 2.

also not one of the 2 TV shows i mentioned..... your own previous answer had the answer to one of them.
OK, though I would have thought that Legends of Tomorrow counted because time agents were sent back to stop the heroes, and the heroes were eventually persuaded to do the same job.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

sent back in time to aprehend a criminal or group of criminals that have escaped into the past
The intent of the question was criminals using time to evade capture
OR i could go with
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:57 am
sent back in time to aprehend a criminal or group of criminals that have escaped into the past
The intent of the question was criminals using time to evade capture
OK... Time Bandits - the bandits are criminals who use time travel to evade capture, God is forced to chase them through time to put an end to their crimes.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

So God is a cop now? lol

i will concede as God is the ultimate authority....

the two TV shows were Time Trax from the 90's and filmed here in Queensland. The second was Continium.

ok ffutures the palace chalice is yours..
OR i could go with
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Continuing the theme of time travel, let's have five examples of time travel with the intent to stop a HISTORICAL figure before they begin to do whatever makes them a historical figure. Not assassinate at a later date, and it must be a real historical figure, not someone fictional. This can include killing someone's parents before they're born, killing them as a child, changing things so that they do something different with their lives, etc.

e.g. the Doctor Who episode "Let's Kill Hitler" wouldn't be acceptable because Hitler is already ruler of Germany at the time they make the attempt.

No two with the same historical figure, the same author, the same fictional universe, etc.

And because I'm nice I will accept another example involving Hitler, and/or another story from the Doctor Who universe, if someone wants to use them.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

ffutures wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:52 pm
Continuing the theme of time travel, let's have five examples of time travel with the intent to stop a HISTORICAL figure before they begin to do whatever makes them a historical figure.
(toe on ice : loud creak)
little toe on ice : loud, ominous creak)
That sounds about right. Lead waistcoat on, I don my dancing crampons and commence a hop, step and jump towards the bottomless pit of time travel.
Mark Twain's protagonist in "A Connecticut Yankee at the Court of King Arthur"
- whoever the protagonist was, to get a yankee to the Court has got to involve time travel somehow.
- It's about King Arthur, who is as real to Americans as Motherhood and Fake News.
- and so somehow the protagonists must be involved in stopping somebody from doing something undesirable. The incest with Morgana Le Fey was probably a bit too strong a meat for Twain's audience, so defeating Mordred would have been an acceptable target.

What? Read it? Nope, can't say that I have. Huck Finn would be proud!
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

RockDoctor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:20 am
Continuing the theme of time travel, let's have five examples of time travel with the intent to stop a HISTORICAL figure before they begin to do whatever makes them a historical figure.
(toe on ice : loud creak)
little toe on ice : loud, ominous creak)
That sounds about right. Lead waistcoat on, I don my dancing crampons and commence a hop, step and jump towards the bottomless pit of time travel.
Mark Twain's protagonist in "A Connecticut Yankee at the Court of King Arthur"
- whoever the protagonist was, to get a yankee to the Court has got to involve time travel somehow.
- It's about King Arthur, who is as real to Americans as Motherhood and Fake News.
- and so somehow the protagonists must be involved in stopping somebody from doing something undesirable. The incest with Morgana Le Fey was probably a bit too strong a meat for Twain's audience, so defeating Mordred would have been an acceptable target.

What? Read it? Nope, can't say that I have. Huck Finn would be proud!
Hate to say it, but unfortunately this isn't a valid answer. The hero accidentally travels in time, not deliberately, and once he realises he's in the past he tries to improve technology and the general economy, end slavery, etc. but those are really his only goals - he'd like things better because he's stuck there. He'd prefer to keep Arthur alive to ensure the stability of the realm, but he doesn't really do anything about Mordred, and that eventually leads to Arthur's death and everything falling apart.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Continuing the theme of time travel, let's have five examples of time travel with the intent to stop a HISTORICAL figure before they begin to do whatever makes them a historical figure. Not assassinate at a later date, and it must be a real historical figure, not someone fictional. This can include killing someone's parents before they're born, killing them as a child, changing things so that they do something different with their lives, etc
This is basically the plot of practically every episode of the not-very-good TV show Timeless - there's a bunch of baddies who are intent on rewriting history, for Reasons, and they're forever fiddling with recent historical events like the Hindenberg. Then the baddies turn out to be goodies, and the goodies are baddies, or vice-versa …