(WIP) Elite Trader

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (WIP) Elite Trader

Post by montana05 »

Reval wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:05 am
Elite Trader, version 1.3
While I really appreciate your enthusiasm I would suggest to do some more testing before publishing every day a new release, from my experience people tend to ignore OXP's published without testing. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm
While I really appreciate your enthusiasm I would suggest to do some more testing before publishing every day a new release, from my experience people tend to ignore OXP's published without testing. :wink:
Hu-u-u-umph! But are there really any people here? Seems mostly to be botsville* apart from the Science Fiction Trivia thread! If Reval is enjoying this, why shouldn't he post all the bally time if he wants to? If I ever generate the skills to do half of what he - or you - can do, I can learn from his pitfalls along the way. At least I get to see some of the stages in his thinking. I'm certainly getting something out of it.

Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

montana05 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Thank you for your input as always, montana05, but this OXP undergoes continuous testing - why do you think I release updates if not because I'm testing and improving it all the time? Expect version 1.4 today or tomorrow!

P.S. If you've found bugs, please report them - that's what this thread is for. Then I can test and refine some more ;)
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

P.P.S. Constructive suggestions (and discussion) for future editions of E.T. are also welcomed of course. :)
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I've edited the wiki page on career options to include a link to this thread - http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Career_Options

Reval - might it help to have a top post which you can continually edit which defines what your .oxp does and which you can keep up-to-date (as Montana & Dybal have done with their lost oxp's page)?

And - are there any changes which should be made to the wiki career options page - extra .oxps to add, or advice or whatever?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:29 am
I've edited the wiki page on career options to include a link to this thread - http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Career_Options
Thank you! That's appreciated :)
Reval - might it help to have a top post which you can continually edit which defines what your .oxp does and which you can keep up-to-date (as Montana & Dybal have done with their lost oxp's page)?
Yep, undoubtedly. I did consider it, but eventually went for immediate immersion with the faux letters ;) Perhaps I should reconsider now in the light of E.T.'s growing complexity...
And - are there any changes which should be made to the wiki career options page - extra .oxps to add, or advice or whatever?
I'll give that page some more attention and let you know (or perhaps add something) if anything useful or constructive occurs to me, but it's excellent as it stands. Good job!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

At some stage, when I have the energy, I'd like to move the descriptive text on your wiki page File:Elite Trader.oxz to a new page Elite Trader and redirect the appropriate links.

The File: pages just contain the files usually without description. The File: prefix seems to muck up the wiki search engine - someone searching for 'Elite Trader' won't find it (unless they search for File:Elite Trader)!

I also linked the wiki page to this thread - and indented your letter at the top - I hope it makes the page more readable!
Comments wanted:
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Once again, many thanks! No rush, obviously, but it would be great if you could find time to move the text to a dedicated page. I had no idea that it was expected.

(BTW, really liked your S.S.S. additions to Dor Reval's titles ;) ).

Edit: And do feel entirely free to make any changes you think might enhance the spirit of the text (it's what Wikis are for, after all... they can always be reverted if excessive, hehe).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:13 pm
Once again, many thanks! No rush, obviously, but it would be great if you could find time to move the text to a dedicated page. I had no idea that it was expected.
I've no idea whether it is expected or not! The wiki Supremos are Winston and Maik - not your humble servant!

It's just that having seen it a couple of days ago - and then having wasted several minutes frantically searching for it - it's current location rather defeats the object of putting it up on the wiki (with the search engine we're lucky enough to have)!
Comments wanted:
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Then by all means... if you would.

(I'd move it to more favourable climes myself if I knew how).
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:01 pm
Hu-u-u-umph! But are there really any people here? Seems mostly to be botsville* apart from the Science Fiction Trivia thread! If Reval is enjoying this, why shouldn't he post all the bally time if he wants to? If I ever generate the skills to do half of what he - or you - can do, I can learn from his pitfalls along the way. At least I get to see some of the stages in his thinking. I'm certainly getting something out of it.

You do have a point there, since it is named as WIP daily updates are possible and I am happy to hear that you can learn from it. I guess I am just too lazy to publish every single modification, personally I prefer to accumulate them to a package and update once in a while. :lol: Well, as you mentioned its actually up to the eyes of the beholder.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

I usually prefer the "small steps and publish often" approach to the "let's accumulate changes until they are significant", but it's not so easy when you are taking care of a bunch of OXPs: publishing a release means updating Readme file, testing the final oxz file to avoid silly oops! before uploading it, updating wiki page, Expansion Manager, forum topic... it takes some time.

And I learned that some people out there do extensive tweaking by hand (instead of using diff to make a patch file with their mods and then applying the patch to the new releases) of OXPs at each release... for them, "small steps, releasing often" means a lot of work.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Elite Trader, version 1.4

Now in the Manager and on the Wiki.

More info HERE.

NEW IN VERSION 1.4:

A continual upward evolution in
  • Speed
  • Shield strength
  • Shield recharge rate
  • Energy levels
In addition to
  • A ship forever in good repair
  • Automatic, free refuelling
  • No mass-lock, except at Main Station (Oolite >1.85)
  • A permanently 'clean' Galcop record
  • A clone of your ship, gratis, in every spaceyard, should you wish to reset your augmented speed, energy, and shield strength to nominal. (Oolite >1.89)
Trade well!
Last edited by Reval on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:01 am
Elite Trader, version 1.4

Now in the Manager and on the Wiki.

More info HERE.

NEW IN VERSION 1.4:

A continual upward evolution in
  • Speed
  • Shield strength
  • Shield recharge rate
  • Energy levels
In addition to
  • A ship forever in good repair
  • Automatic, free refuelling
  • No mass-lock, except at Main Station (Oolite >1.85)
  • A permanently 'clean' Galcop record
  • A clone of your ship, gratis, in every spaceyard, should you wish to reset your augmented speed, energy, and shield strength to nominal. (Oolite >1.89)
Trade well!
New wiki page here http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Elite_Trader_OXZ
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

By the way, have you come across this? http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/The_Traders_Almanach

You can download the Almanach and bung it in your ship's library (thread archaeology pays off in Oolite!).
Comments wanted: