ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

cbr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:25 pm
Whaaa, Captain Future not worthy? :? :(
Not if that's the entire title.

OK, I'm evidently not the only one feeling tired - have some clues. A few titles with some words replaced with underlines.
  1. Captain America: The First Avenger or Captain America: The Winter Soldier (film) - answered by Nite Owl
  2. Captain America: Civil War (film) - correctly identified by Nite Owl, but not eligible to be an answer after #1 was identified.
  3. Captain ___'s ___ (novel)
  4. ___ ___ Captain's ___ (novel)
  5. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (film) - answered by cbr
  6. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (TV series) - answered by cbr
  7. ___ Captain's ___ (Book series overall title)
  8. ___ ___ Captain ___ (Japanese animated series)
  9. ___ ___ ___ Captain ___ (Musical film)
  10. Captain ___ & ___ ___ ___ (US animated series)
Last edited by ffutures on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Yep, it's getting dark early...

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, you got two there - both, as it happens, on my list, numbers 5 and 6. However, I did say only one answer per reply, not two or more. So that's one down, four to go!
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Captain Flandry Defender of The Terran Empire, by Poul Anderson.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Commander_X wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 am
Captain Flandry Defender of The Terran Empire, by Poul Anderson.
Good one, and one that isn't in the list I posted. Have a meaningless bonus point!

Three to go!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Then Captain America: The First Avenger would be valid. That also takes out of play Captain America: Civil War which would be entries 1. and 2. on your hint list.

Captain Scarlet was one of the first answers that popped into my head but the "and the Mysterons" part of the title had left my brain; S.I.G.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's the 1950s US TV series Captain Video and His Video Rangers, which included Isaac Asimov, James Blish, Arthur C. Clarke, Damon Knight, Jack Vance, and others among its scriptwriters - probably helping to sustain them in their early careers.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Ed Norton (Honeymooners) as Video Ranger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiWgKEFyY0A
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

ffutures wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:16 pm
Let's have five SF works - books, films, stories, TV series, comics, whatever - that have the word "Captain" in the title.
OK, I have a slight feeling of impending doom as I recall the mini-series which the execrable Kenny Everett put in his TV Shows, as "Captain Kremen!" (exploding flash graphic), with occasional infestations of Cupid Stunt and ... the girl with the long hair - Cleo Roca? Luton Airport?
That's teetering on the edge of SF, but as it was obviously intended as a spoof, I think it is an albatross which the genre has to bear.
Wiki tells me that it's double-m, and has a lot more history than I remember from the TV shows.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:54 am
Then Captain America: The First Avenger would be valid. That also takes out of play Captain America: Civil War which would be entries 1. and 2. on your hint list.

Captain Scarlet was one of the first answers that popped into my head but the "and the Mysterons" part of the title had left my brain; S.I.G.
Captain America: The First Avenger is valid for #1, as would be Captain America: The Winter Soldier - two films in one clue! And yes, it does invalidate #2, Captain America: Civil War. Okay, that's another one down. Three to go, and have a meaningless bonus point for another one in my list of clues.
Disembodied wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:51 am
There's the 1950s US TV series Captain Video and His Video Rangers, which included Isaac Asimov, James Blish, Arthur C. Clarke, Damon Knight, Jack Vance, and others among its scriptwriters - probably helping to sustain them in their early careers.
Captain Video and His Video Rangers certainly qualifies, and isn't one I'd thought of - have TWO meaningless bonus points for originality. Another one gone, two to go.
RockDoctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:37 pm
ffutures wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:16 pm
Let's have five SF works - books, films, stories, TV series, comics, whatever - that have the word "Captain" in the title.
OK, I have a slight feeling of impending doom as I recall the mini-series which the execrable Kenny Everett put in his TV Shows, as "Captain Kremen!" (exploding flash graphic), with occasional infestations of Cupid Stunt and ... the girl with the long hair - Cleo Roca? Luton Airport?
That's teetering on the edge of SF, but as it was obviously intended as a spoof, I think it is an albatross which the genre has to bear.
Wiki tells me that it's double-m, and has a lot more history than I remember from the TV shows.
OK... I'm a bit dubious about this one for a couple of reasons - it's a segment of a larger entity, the Kenny Everett show, rather than a production in itself, and the name you've given me is simply "Captain {Name}," which was specifically banned by the conditions at the start. I know that the serial in the TV show was called "Captain Kremmen and the Krells" (and there was actually a single record by that title which I would have accepted) but you didn't say that. So I'm afraid that I'm going to have to rule this one invalid, and take Captain Kremmen out of contention.

Two to go!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's book 2 in Alasdair Reynolds' Revenger series, Shadow Captain.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Disembodied wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am
There's book 2 in Alasdair Reynolds' Revenger series, Shadow Captain.
Yes, that qualifies - it's short, but it isn't just the captain's name. Have a meaningless bonus point for an answer I hadn't thought of. I seem to be very inconsistent with giving out these points, it's a good thing they're meaningless!

One to go!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Here are the clues I gave earlier, and the answers to them that have been received so far.
  1. Captain America: The First Avenger or Captain America: The Winter Soldier (film) - answered by Nite Owl
  2. Captain America: Civil War (film) - correctly identified by Nite Owl, but not eligible to be an answer after #1 was identified.
  3. Captain ___'s ___ (novel)
  4. ___ ___ Captain's ___ (novel)
  5. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (film) - answered by cbr
  6. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (TV series) - answered by cbr
  7. ___ Captain's ___ (Book series overall title)
  8. ___ ___ Captain ___ (Japanese animated series)
  9. ___ ___ ___ Captain ___ (Musical film)
  10. Captain ___ & ___ ___ ___ (US animated series)
Another hint - here are a few missing words, one from each of the titles I've given that haven't been answered yet, but in alphabetical order, not in the order above.

Alliance
Monkeys
Pirate
Return
Table
Tale
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

10 must be captain planet and the planeteers. Or alternatively Captain Caveman and the Teenangels, but that has a poor claim to be scifi.