Using joystick to navigate menus when docked.

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hijong park
Above Average
Above Average

Using joystick to navigate menus when docked.

Post by hijong park »

I'm using flight stick with a joystick for Pseudo-HOTAS set up, But I don't like that I have to constantly touch keyboard to trade stuffs or buy something.

It would be convenient If I can trade goods with joystick's d pad, buy something with A button, and select each menus (F2~F8) with L/R button or each assigned buttons. Since all flight controls are useless when docked, having same keys for different commands won't be a problem.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Using joystick to navigate menus when docked.

Post by Cholmondely »

I also found using the keyboard rather destroyed the immersion for me. But unlike you, I felt that using the joystick to navigate menus also destroyed the immersion.

I eventually bought an Elgato Stream Deck - I've wired it up to give 3 different sets of control panels - one for docked state, one for flight and the last for combat. It makes a very nice counterpart to the joystick (which does not fully integrate with my Mac). At some stage - when I work out how (!) - I'll post photos and also see if I can upload the Stream Deck Profiles which I'm using (it is in no way obvious how to do this) - I was able to steal some nice icons from the Coluber & Vimana HUDs! If I can ever work out how, I hope to also use it to input in the Ugaritic and Phoenician alphabets, but so far I'm limited to the half dozen fonts that one can easily select for it!

Hope you are enjoying Oolite!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

At some stage - when I work out how (!) - I'll post photos
Host your photos somewhere (Postimage is one such site - there are others), then post the link.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hijong park
Above Average
Above Average

Post by hijong park »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:59 am
I also found using the keyboard rather destroyed the immersion for me. But unlike you, I felt that using the joystick to navigate menus also destroyed the immersion.

I eventually bought an Elgato Stream Deck - I've wired it up to give 3 different sets of control panels - one for docked state, one for flight and the last for combat. It makes a very nice counterpart to the joystick (which does not fully integrate with my Mac). At some stage - when I work out how (!) - I'll post photos and also see if I can upload the Stream Deck Profiles which I'm using (it is in no way obvious how to do this) - I was able to steal some nice icons from the Coluber & Vimana HUDs! If I can ever work out how, I hope to also use it to input in the Ugaritic and Phoenician alphabets, but so far I'm limited to the half dozen fonts that one can easily select for it!

Hope you are enjoying Oolite!
Elgato Stream Deck looks like a good choice for assigning function keys in many simulator games.

But I still want joystick inputs for menus, there are some HOTAS joysticks that has so many buttons for non flight-related commands.