HUD Template?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Re: HUD Template?

Post by Reval »

Nice. I'll install that post haste.

Slightly off-topic, but which HUD do you favour?

Edit: When I was on 1.80 I used - and loved - Plagiarist HUD, itself an adaptation of Trek HUD. It's very pretty :) Now, with 1.90, I've gone right back to basics, and have started to like the 'standard' hud for its utility and unpretentiousness ;) So I'm in favour of adapting that right now...
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Reval wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:24 am
Nice. I'll install that post haste.

Slightly off-topic, but which HUD do you favour?
My must-haves include numeric speed display, color change when speed>80% maxSpeed (I run a variation of HardWay OXP and cruising around takes fuel, double if beyond 80% maxSpeed), numeric display for ASC target distance, and plenty of MFD positions...

Right now I use a modified version of XenonHUD (I modified it to have 12 MFDs, the official version has 9).

I like Coluber HUD, but for me it needs more MFDs... but increasing the MFD slots would make the font in each MFD small, people might prefer less MFDs but larger fonts, and right now the only way to have both is duplicating the plist files - "like_hud" or "include" directives, like you asked about, would make it easier to have variations without making (and maintaing) n copies...

I'm updating VimanaHUD (a _very_ impressive HUD), and will give it a try once it's compatible with the OXPs I run.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Wow. You're obviously a vastly more advanced Ooliter than I am :) I generally just putter about, and tweak ;)

The Vimana (and your update) sound truly impressive - and I look forward to trying them. Keep us updated!

Edit: Liking the Coluber HUD a lot - once I got used to the new gauge positions; love the compass :) But find the extended center-lines in the main view a little distracting... wish there was a way to turn those off.
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:53 am
Wow. You're obviously a vastly more advanced Ooliter than I am :) I generally just putter about, and tweak ;)

The Vimana (and your update) sound truly impressive - and I look forward to trying them. Keep us updated!

Edit: Liking the Coluber HUD a lot - once I got used to the new gauge positions; love the compass :) But find the extended center-lines in the main view a little distracting... wish there was a way to turn those off.
Shortening the centre lines was discussed on the Coluber thread several years ago:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16896 cf: Captain Beatnik » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:35 pm
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Thank you! I should have done a search before posting that (as I just did for Vimana)...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:38 am
Thank you! I should have done a search before posting that (as I just did for Vimana)...
My pleasure, Sir.

I regret that I am not as experienced an Ooliter as you ... I just prattle around and squeak!
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:44 am
I regret that I am not as experienced an Ooliter as you! I just prattle around and squeak!
ROTFL :lol:
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Re: HUD Selector (sorry couldn't find the topic in search)... I have only one minor niggle - I don't seem to be able to cancel the MFD; tried cycling, but it never leaves the view, as it used to with standard HUD. So, with HUD selector primed (and otherwise too), I seem to be stuck with it on screen.

Maybe... maybe it's related to my key redefinition (I have a Spanish keyboard so had to do this for some functions) - now 'a' for 'cycle' and 'A' for 'switch'.

Any suggestions?

Edit: To be fair, and on reflection, I don't think the blame can be laid at the feet of Norby. The above seemed to only happen with a new Jameson. When I load saved games, all appears to work as it should. And of course I'm very new to this OXP: it will take some familiarizing...
Last edited by Reval on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Another Issue!

Not to detract from Reval's good fortune in being haunted by a Marvelously Manifesting MFD.

I'm trying out Stranger's Hard Way prior to writing it up for our wiki. One of the things I need to be aware of whilst whizzing about is the current Solar Wind Flux (if above 0.1 LY/min, I can refuel with my scoops - the higher the value, the faster the refuelling).

At the moment, the only way that I can get my grubby paws on the information is by 'targeting' the sun with my Advanced Space Compass and if the MFD from Stranger's Sun Gear is showing (he calls it the Advanced System Data MFD), the current value is displayed there.

Any ideas as to how I could get the value displayed on my HUD so I do not have to constantly target the sun?
Comments wanted:
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 am
Another Issue!

Not to detract from Reval's good fortune in being haunted by a Marvelously Manifesting MFD.

I'm trying out Stranger's Hard Way prior to writing it up for our wiki. One of the things I need to be aware of whilst whizzing about is the current Solar Wind Flux (if above 0.1 LY/min, I can refuel with my scoops - the higher the value, the faster the refuelling).

At the moment, the only way that I can get my grubby paws on the information is by 'targeting' the sun with my Advanced Space Compass and if the MFD from Stranger's Sun Gear is showing (he calls it the Advanced System Data MFD), the current value is displayed there.

Any ideas as to how I could get the value displayed on my HUD so I do not have to constantly target the sun?
Look here