Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Reval »

Greetings to all denizens of the 8 charts!

Been a long-time lurker here and a sporadic Ooliter since 2014 or thereabouts. Apart from MS FS9, Oolite is the only 'game' that consistently keeps me returning to it. That's some feat on the part of the developers, and so finally I express my thanks and appreciation to all who keep the Oolite cogs spinning and well-oiled... Long may this wondrous enterprise continue to flourish.

(Elite Dangerous: pfah, give me none of it - it's no computer game, but Oolite is, thank God.)
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
edgreenberg
Poor
Poor

Post by edgreenberg »

I was attracted to Oolite several years ago when reading a series about interstellar traders in Scifi. (The Liaden Universe series by Miller and Lee, if anybody cares.) I thought that a trading game would be fun, and Google led me to Oolite. I think this was around 2015. I'm running it on Fedora Linux. Well, I've been away for about five years, and I just read ANOTHER book series on interstellar trading, and so, out comes Oolite. (This series is named Golden Age of the Solar Clipper and the first book is Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell. Entire series on Kindle Unlimited.)

Anyway, I'm re familiarizing myself and trying to run the tutorial, and I've ordered a Joystick, since the last one has crapped out. I tried flying with a Saitek Yoke, and it was reasonable, but I don't have pedals for yaw, so I don't think the Yoke is good for this game. I found a very inexpensive Logitech ATK3 on eBay, which, for $20, should be a good start. I also have a Saitek Throttle Quadrant from Flight Sim.

I have a few questions, but I'll post them in separate threads so that they can be answered.

Best,
Ed
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Welcome back, commander!

Ask away! :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

edgreenberg wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:31 pm
I was attracted to Oolite several years ago when reading a series about interstellar traders in Scifi. (The Liaden Universe series by Miller and Lee, if anybody cares.) I thought that a trading game would be fun, and Google led me to Oolite. I think this was around 2015. I'm running it on Fedora Linux. Well, I've been away for about five years, and I just read ANOTHER book series on interstellar trading, and so, out comes Oolite. (This series is named Golden Age of the Solar Clipper and the first book is Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell. Entire series on Kindle Unlimited.)

Anyway, I'm re familiarizing myself and trying to run the tutorial, and I've ordered a Joystick, since the last one has crapped out. I tried flying with a Saitek Yoke, and it was reasonable, but I don't have pedals for yaw, so I don't think the Yoke is good for this game. I found a very inexpensive Logitech ATK3 on eBay, which, for $20, should be a good start. I also have a Saitek Throttle Quadrant from Flight Sim.

I have a few questions, but I'll post them in separate threads so that they can be answered.

Best,
Ed
Welcome! Are the problems with the yoke just aesthetic, or is there more to it?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by commander_STyx2909 »

Hi folks!

Registering this forum has been quite uneasy because confirmation emails are not reaching my regular @free.fr mailbox. Used gmail instead. And no one was on IRC either, LOL

I heard about this project 15 years ago while it was on Mac Os only. Had a few chat with Giles as well at this time. Nice guy.

Now running Linux, Ubuntu. Coming here to give a hand in managing stuff, because as a new player I navigated threw many OXPs and noticed a few problems with 1.90 I will report in appropriate section.

Have fun, fly safe, watch your 6! ;-)

STyx2909 8)
Cody

Post by Cody »

commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Cody wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:33 pm
Thank you sir! :D
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Ubuntu 20.06. :mrgreen:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

commander_STyx2909 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:29 pm
Hi folks!

Registering this forum has been quite uneasy because confirmation emails are not reaching my regular @free.fr mailbox. Used gmail instead. And no one was on IRC either, LOL

I heard about this project 15 years ago while it was on Mac Os only. Had a few chat with Giles as well at this time. Nice guy.

Now running Linux, Ubuntu. Coming here to give a hand in managing stuff, because as a new player I navigated threw many OXPs and noticed a few problems with 1.90 I will report in appropriate section.

Have fun, fly safe, watch your 6! ;-)

STyx2909 8)
Greetings and Salutations! Hope you enjoy!

If I may just ask, why STyx2909? Is it something exciting in C++ or Javascript?

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

LOL, STyx is an old nickname from Highschool and 2909 are day and month of my birthday. :wink:

I have been using viKKing since 2000 as well, but switching to STyx2909. I had to add "commander_" because my first registration on the board failed with this nickname... but I am much more humble in general. :lol:
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Ubuntu 20.06. :mrgreen:
JDavis
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by JDavis »

Soooo it seems quiet in here of late but no matter.

I'm JD. I first played Elite in an old BBC micro then an Archimedes (Acorn all the way).

Played Oolite up until about 6 years ago. Switched my Mac out and lost everything. Time went by, got married, had a child and a new career but something deep down kept calling,calling.

So as of this evening I'm back and wow, things are looking amazing. I'm starting from scratch. Jameson on Lave.

Let's see what magic can happen.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! Yep, I started out on a BBC too.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

JDavis wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:39 am
Quiet is right - the place is downright moribund. No one volunteers anything, or encourages... nothing.

Nevertheless, a hearty welcome back to the Ooniverse, Commander! At least the game won't leave you cold...
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm JD. I first played Elite in an old BBC micro then an Archimedes (Acorn all the way).

Played Oolite up until about 6 years ago. Switched my Mac out and lost everything. Time went by, got married, had a child and a new career but something deep down kept calling,calling.

So as of this evening I'm back and wow, things are looking amazing. I'm starting from scratch. Jameson on Lave.

Let's see what magic can happen.
Welcome, JD!

Enjoy!!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Another welcome aboard, Commander, well, it's Christmas time so people have a tendency to celebrate with family and friends, with the next year it will become more active again. Btw. there are volunteers and encourages on this board, a quick check will prove that. Don't let yourself get fooled. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.