Expansions Manager Manager/Environment Manager

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Expansions Manager Manager/Environment Manager

Post by Cholmondely »

Not too sure about the best name for this - maybe an Environment Manager.

It would be absolutely superb to have some way of tying in the various expansions to the various Jamesons saved on my computer.

There was my pre-Stranger suite of oxp's with Redspear & Spara's various additions of additional planets and orbital stations with their own markets.

Now that I'm exploring Stranger's Ooniverse I've had to hoick every single one of those oxps out of my Managed AddOns folder and bung them elsewhere, while I installed Stranger's Planets/Moons/Orbital Stations set.

When I get around to investigating his modifications of the game mechanics I'll need to undergo another such oxz shuffling exercise to remove the oxz's which muck up his Hard Way's changes to the game.

These exercises in shuffling are non-trivial, taking time and effort and often involving mistakes.

It would be truly wonderful to be able to select environments of oxps where I can run one Jameson in Stranger's Ooniverse whilst (almost) simultaneously running another in my pre-Stranger Ooniverse. Either by selecting the environment as well as the Jameson when I start playing or else by the Environment being selected by the Jameson I choose to play.

Of course, I could just buy another 3 or so computers and run different oxp environments on each... Then I really could play them all simultaneously...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Expansions Manager Manager/Environment Manager

Post by Nite Owl »

If memory serves you can install multiple instances of Oolite on your computer. Place each instance of Oolite in its own set of folders with its own set of expansions associated to it. Create shortcuts to each executable and its expansions with tell tale names so that you know which one you are playing at a given moment in time - Stranger's Oolite - Spara's Oolite - Redspear's Oolite - etc.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Nite Owl wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:20 pm
If memory serves you can install multiple instances of Oolite on your computer.
<nods> Yep!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Just be careful to keep a consistent set of equipment OXPs, otherwise equipments will disappear silently from your ship when you load and save a commander using an OXP set without the OXP responsible for one equipment you have installed in your ship.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Gentlemen,

I've sort of got this.

Fascinating phrase - makes sense in English when you say it - looks like utter gobbledegook now that I've written it down!

I started with v.1.88, and then added v1.84 to try Cim's SOTL and then v1.77 to try easier combat. I've since added 1.90.

(As far as I can make out, SOTL works on the later versions - but I've not done much with it yet). But they all use the same AddOns & ManagedAddOns Folders (so much hoicking is needed for 1.77 due to its inability to recognise many of the oxz's).

I'm using an AppleMac so I'm not sure if my System Architecture allows what you are suggesting.

Oolite lives here: /Users/Cholmondeley/Desktop/Oolite
oxp's live here: /Users/Cholmondeley/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns

The community here is absolutely wonderful. What a superb group of people you are! Thank you. Each and every one of you.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Check out scenarios: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Scenarios.plist

They may be what you are looking for, but they do require some manual editing of plists.