Looking for more realistic planet textures (no luck with planetary systems)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Looking for more realistic planet textures (no luck with planetary systems)

Post by vaxon »

I'm looking for better quality textures for the planets. I'm currently using PovrayPlanets OXP. It looks really cool,, but it's not included in the OXZ list and the textures are really huge. Are there any other oxp's available that provide similar quality and maintained by the game's expansion pack manager? I've tried Planetary Systems, but I don't see any change in planet appearances, though I have installed all the Planet Textures (A to H) and I don't seem any conflicting oxp's installed. Could, please, give me any hints as to what the problem might be? Thanks!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Looking for more realistic planet textures (no luck with planetary systems)

Post by another_commander »

Not sure what the problem might be, but here are some alternatives:

Shameless plug:
- Lave is Earth 8K

- Tionisla is Mars 8K

- Diso is Jupiter 8K

There is also Leesti is Moon 8K, created by stranger

All the above are already in the in-game Expansion Manager. And finally, Venus is in the works:
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

vaxon wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:33 pm
I've tried Planetary Systems, but I don't see any change in planet appearances, though I have installed all the Planet Textures (A to H) and I don't seem any conflicting oxp's installed.
Planetary Systems changes textures of additional planets only, NOT main planet.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Planetary Systems changes textures of additional planets only, NOT main planet.
Got it, thanks!

BTW, the above screenshots look cool, but it's just one planet. For example, Lave is Earth 8K does not affect other planets. I'd like to retexture all of them. Looks like Povray Planets is the only way to do so.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

vaxon wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:23 pm
I'd like to retexture all of them. Looks like Povray Planets is the only way to do so.
Manual retexture of ALL 2048 main planets is too complex task for mere mortal, agree? So procedural generation is the only way to do so.
I have more modest plan in mind. Famous Planets is a good subset to upgrade. But I think before starting such work it will be good idea to explore and exploit potential of game procedural generation. Complete Povray Planets is 4.78 GB archive. Not too high for modern commercial games, but it is too high for game OXZ manager. On the other hand, planetinfo.plist of ALL 2048 planets is only 2.67 MB, it can create unique planets and it can create nice looking planets. So I plan to overhaul default planetinfo.plist and than override - step by step - textures of Famous Planets.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Manual retexture of ALL 2048 main planets is too complex task for mere mortal, agree?
Yeah, that's obviously too much.
What I was looking for was just better quality textures managed by the game OXZ manager.
I don't mind if some distant planets look similar or the same.
So I plan to overhaul default planetinfo.plist and than override - step by step - textures of Famous Planets.
Sounds cool.
Thanks!
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

I think If the original planet colors were more realistic, I wouldn't be looking for any planet textures at all.
Somehow I don't like the way at least some of the planets look. Take Diso, for example. Whose pink continents look like a rash on a blue butt.
It should be possible to get better looking planets by just tweaking planetinfo.plist.
There's too many planets to do it manually though.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

You may also want to look at this (shameless plug, WIP). Even the comments are appreciated at this time :)
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Commander_X wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 pm
You may also want to look at this (shameless plug, WIP). Even the comments are appreciated at this time :)
Just tried it and it looks really cool. Looking forward to getting the full version covering all planets.

Meanwhile I've been playing with the original planet colors and come up with my own low budget solution, though I'm not an OXP developer.
I think if the planet colors were darker the original planets would look better.

For example, this makes land/sea darker and sets random land percentage for all planets:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17oT5ye ... sp=sharing
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

vaxon wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:33 pm
I'm looking for better quality textures for the planets. I'm currently using PovrayPlanets OXP. It looks really cool,, but it's not included in the OXZ list and the textures are really huge. Are there any other oxp's available that provide similar quality and maintained by the game's expansion pack manager? I've tried Planetary Systems, but I don't see any change in planet appearances, though I have installed all the Planet Textures (A to H) and I don't seem any conflicting oxp's installed. Could, please, give me any hints as to what the problem might be? Thanks!
Vaxon, if you ever read this, try Guide to Ambience OXPs.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:59 pm
Vaxon, if you ever read this, try Guide to Ambience OXPs.
Thanks for sharing this! I hope to take a closer look at this when I have more time.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

vaxon wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:16 am
Thanks for sharing this! I hope to take a closer look at this when I have more time.
I see that you've bouncing around here since 2007... what sort of game do you like playing? And, what are your favourite oxp's, or do you shun them in favour of the strict game?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?