Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Interpreting a Savegame File

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Interpreting a Savegame File

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Hello,

i'm on and off playing oolite for serveral years, currently v1.88. I have a Savegame (967 Kills, currently Galaxy 5) and i have lost of track of wich missions i allready have accomplished. I seem to have a cloaking device installed and i have a hint of having somehow crossed the Constrictor Hunt mission scince my commanders name appears to be "AfterConstrictorHunt". Also i have a screenshot of the mission-briefing of the Constrictur Hunt mission but i'm not sure from wich savegame that is.

Anyhow, the Savegame survived serveral re-installations of the game even in different versions and i have no idea why the commanders name is as mentioned above scince i most certainly intended the savegames label to be named like that rather the commanders name itself.

So after a long pause i fired up the game and found myself somehow lost in galaxy 5 without any clue of what to do. Shouldn't there be a note in the 'Ship's Manifest' screen if a mission was active? All i know is that i was eager to complete the native missions first in order to avoid a mess like this.
Right now i am trying to read the savegame file in an attempt to find hints of what missions are complete or if there's currently a 'open' mission in the game but it's not that simple.

Worst case is that i accepted the Constrictor Hunt and lost track of it or that the savegame-file itself was corrupted. It says on the wiki page that i need 1281 kills before i can start the constrictor-mission so i couldn't have accepted the mission with 967 Kills. Were there any differences on those numbers depending on the version of the game?

I'm glad for any ideas how to fix this
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Interpreting a Savegame File

Post by Cody »

The Constrictor hunt requies 256 kills - the Thargoid Plans mission requires 1281 kills.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Cody wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:19 pm
The Constrictor hunt requies 256 kills - the Thargoid Plans mission requires 1281 kills.
Thanks, what a relief. That means there's a chance that i allready completed the constrictor hunt mission. On the other hand - wouldn't i have a reward if it was successfully accomplished? The only equipment i have that is not available on regular market is the cloaking device.

Edit: I just found the reward for the constrictor hunt here in the forums. I believe all is well and i'll just have to roam a few anarchy systems in order to get my 1281 kills
Last edited by OldThrashbarg on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

OldThrashbarg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:36 pm
... wouldn't i have a reward if it was successfully accomplished?
Edit seen.
Last edited by Cody on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Cody wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:41 pm
OldThrashbarg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:36 pm
... wouldn't i have a reward if it was successfully accomplished?
No... the reward is 256 kills added to your tally.
thanks, see 'Edit'. Do i somehow mark that thread as solved?
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Just one more question: how do i change the commanders name?
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

OldThrashbarg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Just one more question: how do i change the commanders name?
By editing the savefile?

Look for the key player_name and edit the value associated to it.

In-game, look for Ship Registration in the Interfaces Screen (F4).
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Thank you, i meant in game. I don't want to cheat or modify anything, this savegame was meant to be plain skills...

Anyhow, serveral passenger contracts and kills later i realize why i took those breaks from playing again. why did it have to be 1281 kills, that is so demanding...

And: in classic elite you could rely on a constant bunch of pirates in anarchy systems to gather kills but in oolite it's either deadly swarms of head hunters and sometimes nothing along the whole corridor

Edit: sorry for OT