Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am
Just to say, I spent half an hour last night exploring your cemetery - and enjoying every minute of it. Thank you!
You're welcome!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cholmondely,

I had not thought of cemetries as sublime, but I suppose they are, in that death is vertiginous and, at least in some ways, terrible.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:33 pm
Cholmondely,

I had not thought of cemetries as sublime, but I suppose they are, in that death is vertiginous and, at least in some ways, terrible.
In a busy city most often the only quiet, peaceful place you can find is a cemetery, personally I spend hours there to relax and some of the readings on headstones are pretty interesting.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Yes, there are those things (quiet, history) too - but that is not the sublime part.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

somehow I do not seem to be able to find this graveyard between the sun and planet I only find asteroids
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Apologies for the delay. I was distracted by the amphibolies and a pair of Phkb's puce pantaloons.

According to the literature it is supposedly half way between Tionisla Prime and the Sun. The first 5 pages of the original Tionisla Orbital Graveyard thread settle for 30% of the way towards the sun from the planet. This is not contradicted in the last pages of the thread.

On my Macintosh it does seem somewhat closer to the planet.

When I tried the dreaded Windows version it failed to appear, and I have waltzed between the planet and the sun several times and failed to find anything at all.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the account of your travels around Tionisla.

I find myself also traveling between Sun and Planet without witnessing the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard.

I travel in a linux powered ship...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

On my trusty Apple Macintosh:

just over 90 miles from Tionisla Prime (that is 71,893 Old Venetian Cavezzi or 4765 Byzantine Plethrons: maybe 150 of those foreign French kilometres)

and 500 miles (that is 383,433 Old Venetian Cavezzi or 25,412 Byzantine Plethrons,: around 800 of those French things) from the sun.

I beg, Sir, to remain your obedient servant,

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Hmm. That seems strange. I'll investigate. But I'll have to ditch the pantaloons - they get in the way of the controls.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Found the Blighter! And on the dreaded Windows jobbo too. Follow this recipe - it may even work for your Linux Machine!

Remember: exactly 71,896 Cavezzi, one bracchio, 7 once and 3 decimi from the planet surface of Tionisla Prime.

You jump into your ship and tell James to head out in the direction of the sun. You should soon see the Cemetery's dodecahedron station slightly off to the side and then just get James to head for it. When you get there you must avoid the various crucifixes and whatnot (rather nasty pranging potentialities). You really don't want to try playing polo with one of those things. It could hurt. Badly. And leave you with a whopping repairs bill.

I really don't know why I didn't spot it before. Too many Dry Martinis (For some reason my imagination was inundated by a panoramic plethora of puce pantaloons - I personally put it down to a conjoint case of Pandation of the Cranium combined with Hebetation of the Intellect - the quality of Martini one finds in these Corporate Systems is a definite cut beneath what one gets used to living in civilised spots such as the Digebiti Deserts. Tescoos! May the good Lord save me....).

Never mind. Mystery Solved.

Wishing you merry mooching,

Cholmondeley

NB: If I'm not delusional, the Cemetery's station never showed up on my telemetry. If this is so, one simply must presume that this is down to these Corporate Types being so wrapped up in their fearsome financial factoring that they remain incapable of dotting their 'i's and crossing their 't's. It's no wonder our galaxy is going to pot. I remember some chap called Carver sounding off about it at a cocktail party some years ago - he seemed to know rather a lot about the matter for a Royal Navy Commodore from the Courts of Chaos.
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

This Jameson Flew Towards The Sun Alas he crashed without viewing the Graveyard...

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

I can See the ships in The Gallery.

Here are some rusty adders combined with Another Commanders Normal Specular Gloss mod :)
( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20560 )

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

The difficulties in finding the graveyard are due to the fact that the space station does not show up on the ASC (advanced space compass).

The question, of course, is why?

Phineas, cousin Digby's solicitor, says that it might be something to do with a Galactic Law which prohibits the advertisement of spatial cemeteries which utilise religious symbols made of masonry.

Benedict wonders whether it is a function of a historic Tionislan Taboo on remembering the Tru-Hu fanatics.

Does anybody else have any ideas?
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:04 am
Does anybody else have any ideas?
Well, it probably wasn't on the original (which I think predates the addition of the shipdata properties that allow for easy beacon creation), and I didn't notice the absence before I recreated it. :oops:

I'll add a beacon and get a new version published.

(Hmm, I seem to have a bit of a backlog of things to publish...)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Why do you have to give it a beacon? Why can't Phineas or Benedict be right for once?

And by the way - the reason that TOGY does not exist in ED/Frontier 3 is obvious: Drew Wagar blew up his priceless piece of lore with a quirium bomb!
Comments wanted: