<hah, didn't expect this to start with comics>
That would be one.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

Well, since nobody else seems to be answering:

In Captain America: The Winter Soldier Arnim Zola uploads his consciousness to a 1970s-80s computer (which is like trying to stuff the Atlantic into a bathtub given media and memory sizes then)

In the Doctor Who episode "Silence in the Library" and sequel various characters have their personalities uploaded to a virtual life in the Library's computer, including Donna Noble and eventually River Song (via memory storage in a sonic screwdriver).
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Capt. A, and Dr. Who, would be two, and respectively three.

<chips, computers, and other tools -- really intriguing -- honestly, I was hoping for something more ... dynamic :-D>
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

In Charles Stross's Accelerando, various people/things are uploaded to various places … there's the uploaded, uplifted lobsters who end up getting a job running a space-based factory, for example. Or the uploaded crew of the tiny spaceship, the Field Circus.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Ware Tetralogy Rudy Rucker

there is another better one but for the life of me i cant thing of the title.. series of books!!!!! BINGO!!!! the Void trilogy Peter F Hamilton ,when tired of life they upload themselves ...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Disembodied wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 am
In Charles Stross's Accelerando, various people/things are uploaded to various places …[...]
I'll take this as number four
[bonus, the free epub of the book can be found here]
spud42 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Ware Tetralogy Rudy Rucker

there is another better one but for the life of me i cant thing of the title.. series of books!!!!! BINGO!!!! the Void trilogy Peter F Hamilton ,when tired of life they upload themselves ...
From what I could gather, the Ware Tetralogy deals more with AI than uploading consciousness, so that won't do, but Void Trilogy gives us number five.

Over to spud42.

Two other examples I had on my mind were in Culture series (besides the Minds capability of extending the life of Culture citizens, in Surface Detail, as part of the virtual Hells, we have Vatueil loaded in a machinery once, and gone rogue), and the Protoss Dragoons in StarCraft game series (created by transferring the "souls" of unrecoverable almost dead warriors to the device).
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

i thought Cobb got " read and given a robot body? but it has been a while and im not reading it again..lol

ok this should be a quick one.

Lets limit this one to novels, short stories..... usual rules one author per example and one universe...

5 instances of first contact.... star trek finding the Borg when we already knew of many other species doesnt count... first contact. Us finding aliens or first time aliens are exposed to earth...

GO!
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Ah no moving media...

H.G. Wells
war of the worlds, book :)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Carl Sagan, Contact (novel)
Ted Chiang, "Story of Your Life" (novella)
Iain M. Banks, "The State of the Art" (novella)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Murray Leinster - First Contact (1945) - The definitive first contact story, in which neither side dare trust the other.
Stanisław Lem - Solaris (1961) - contact with an incomprehensible alien intelligence which doesn't go well
Several of James White's Sector General stories; It's mentioned in one of them that the Sector General hospital team has pulled off more successful first contacts than the Federation's entire scout service, because they've been responding to SOS-equivalent messages sent by crashed alien ships.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

and ffutures wins....
over to you commander
OR i could go with
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK... Since I'm feeling hungry and about to make a very late supper, let's have five alien meals / foods / beverages that are iconic, at least for the source in which they appear, and are NOT thinly disguised earth foods.

For example, the iconic food for the Ooniverse is probably shrew meat, and it's just about weird enough to qualify.

Any given source / universe may be used only once, so e.g. only one from the whole of the Marvel universe, only one from all of Arthur C. Clarke's books and associated media, etc. etc. I've already used the Ooniverse so you can't use anything from Oolite, Elite, etc.

For bonus points make it sound appetising, especially if it isn't! For example, I once played an alien in a live RPG and at one point was interviewed by another player, supposedly a journalist, who was very interested in the sweets I was using to stop my throat hurting - I was faking a rasping alien accent - so I gave her a long spiel about the Frutee Pazteelee clan and their the way in which their farms nurture the finest giant slugs, lovingly gather their secretions, and crystallize them to make this delicacy. Think of the Cointreau ads of the 70s and you'll get the idea, if you remember that far back.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Gagh, Klingon Blood worms. a fine delicacy best eaten while the worms are fresh and moving vigorusly . nothing worse then lethargic worms.
OR i could go with
or simply
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

For the best meal I propose slig meat, sweet tender...

Feed your enemies, allies, leftovers ( dead or alive, I wonder ) anything, 100% biological recycling...

Slig meat comes from Sligs ( Dune )
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:30 am
Gagh, Klingon Blood worms. a fine delicacy best eaten while the worms are fresh and moving vigorusly . nothing worse then lethargic worms.
That's one - in fact it was the first one I thought of when I wrote the question - and I like the description. Rules out Plomik Soup, which was the other one I thought of for the Trek-verse.
cbr wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:05 pm
For the best meal I propose slig meat, sweet tender...

Feed your enemies, allies, leftovers ( dead or alive, I wonder ) anything, 100% biological recycling...

Slig meat comes from Sligs ( Dune )
And that's two. Apparently synthetic slug-pig hybrids, which makes me seriously doubt they are Kosher...

Three to go!