Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Docking with hermit

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

drink
Poor
Poor

Docking with hermit

Post by drink »

Docking with a hermit in my python resulted in what appeared to be my almost-destruction before I docked. Shields decreased rapidly as if I were crashing. It seems like I managed to dock before I was totally destroyed. This was using the docking computer from a nice long distance and I was completely on-center.

running 1.65 on windows xp
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

the docking computer is rather errr... error-prone. lots of scraping off paint or worse oftentimes.

Also, when it looks you're exactly centered, you're not, your cockpit is off centre, and as a result so is your POV... so with bigger ships you have to take that into account...

try insta-dock, to not run the risk of killing yourself (shift-D)
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I find that hermits are a lot trickier to dock with than stations.

Going as straight as I can, I almost always scrape the paintwork in a Cobra III, and sometimes even lose cargo/equipment.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

You do? I always felt it was more easy, that the 'hole' was bigger... :?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I'm with Wiggy on this one, rock hermits used to be easier but now they have some sort of canopy above the docking bay. You used to be able to approach from any angle and then at dead slow manouvre into the correct alignment, I tend to jump out of my seat these days when the sides scrape doing it this way now.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

I can honestly say that scraping sound doesn't bother me anymore. I'm just glad Oolite doesn't have a PAINT_DAMAGE rating otherwise I'd be in negative figures. I have never manually docked and had full shields afterwards...

Captain Hesperus
"I don't know what hurts more, the sound the hull makes when it strikes the side of the docking bay, or the noise the paintshop guy makes when I ask him 'How much for a re-spray?'."
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
I can honestly say that scraping sound doesn't bother me anymore. I'm just glad Oolite doesn't have a PAINT_DAMAGE rating otherwise I'd be in negative figures. I have never manually docked and had full shields afterwards...
IIRC damage to your shields is monitored somewhere within the workings, hence the regular demands for a maintenance overhaul
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Rxke wrote:
You do? I always felt it was more easy, that the 'hole' was bigger... :?
"Never even touched the sides." (Oooerrr, missus.)

However, taking into account Rxke's point about the POV seems to improve matters.
It's also better if you keep the strut at 3 or 9 o clock.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
IIRC damage to your shields is monitored somewhere within the workings, hence the regular demands for a maintenance overhaul
??? :?
Oh, that funny message in orange that I always am never able to afford on the F3 screen!

Captain Hesperus
"In my book that's known as 'unnecessary expenditure'."
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

xD *o bugger gotta dock with that hermit with my PcC* *BOOM* ......yah i usually just dock with speed, instead of taking the scenic view.....sure does come in handy when that Imp Cruiser is coming after me, and i dock like 2km's out....i just wish that the stations didnt have the ability to not give me docking instructions......after all it IS my computer.....but, this gives me an idea for a new item to buy.....Flight Plans! for a rather exorbitant price you could buy the flight plan for the system....possibly from the WitchPoint beacon, something that gives you the quickest route to the station (its for noobs, not pirates like me! *Yarrharr!)