Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can't find derelict ships?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

IWantABoa
Average
Average

Can't find derelict ships?

Post by IWantABoa »

Hello. Recently I had found a python derelict, but had not been able to salvage it because I didn't have neither the TowBar OXP nor the Deep Space Dredgers OXP. Next day, I install them both and go on a pirate hunt, hoping to snatch a few derelicts from my battles. But to my dismay, all ships I killed were either honoured to die for their pirate unions or launched their escape pods a tad bit too late. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Does your laser matter? I have 3 military lasers on the front (TripleLasers OXP, or whatever it was called). Is there any OXP that adds a "salvage laser" of sorts? Or atleast an OXP that increases the chance of derelict ships? Have not encountered a single derelict ship after the incident with the python, which I unfortunately could not use to my advantage.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Can't find derelict ships?

Post by Disembodied »

Hi, IWantABoa, welcome to the boards. To create a derelict ship, you need to persuade the pilot to eject. Not all ships have escape pods, of course, but if you can push an opponent to the point where their ship is about to explode - balls of plasma can usually be seen leaking from their engines at this point - then you stand a good chance of forcing them to abandon their ship if they are able to do so.

The triple military laser may be making this a bit more difficult, simply because of the sheer power of the weapon. It's like trying to crack an egg: you need to tap it with a spoon, not shoot it with a shotgun! :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

What he said! When you've got a victim blowing plasma, you could try using the laser as a single-shot weapon.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

IWantABoa wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 am
I have 3 military lasers on the front
Depending on the ship you are flying you might want to try http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/LaserCannons Some of the weapons there are forcing the pilots to eject rather than destroying them.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Within the Towbar.OXZ is a piece of equipment called the Laser Reductor. It is available at tech level 5 systems at a cost of 100 ₢. It reduces your laser's power if the targeted ship becomes derelict to save it from exploding after the pilot has ejected. It works well although there is no easy way to override the effect once you purchase it. In other words every ship that becomes a derelict will then only take laser fire at a reduced power level. This will limit you should you decide that you do not want to salvage a particular ship and would much rather blow it up. Generally your lasers will overheat before you can blow up a ship while firing on it at your laser's reduced power level. As time goes on and your experience grows it will become easier to visually and audibly figure out when to stop firing on a given ship after it has become a derelict without having to use the Laser Reductor. This final "experience" method is not always reliable but does, at the very least, give you options.

Welcome Aboard - Fly Safe and Dock Straight Commander.
Last edited by Nite Owl on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
IWantABoa
Average
Average

Post by IWantABoa »

Thanks for the quick reply! I commandeer a Cobra Mark III which *could* be considered an "Iron Ass", but isn't quite yet. When my target does start throwing plasma here and there I do go for one shot per second, but even then it doesn't work. I am kind of reluctant to get a laser cannon since it may not help me in battles with large pirate groups and feels like a general downgrade, but if you strongly suggest so I may try it later. And, it seems a bit confusing to me and the vast list of choices of weaponry is rather overwhelming, I have no idea which to take... About the TowBar OXZ, I never really encountered anything related to it. I didn't see any equipment, and the WIKI failed to provide any answers.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

IWantABoa wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 am
I am kind of reluctant to get a laser cannon since it may not help me in battles with large pirate groups and feels like a general downgrade
I used energy cannons myself but on larger ships and together with http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Laser_ ... System_OXP so I could switch to a 2nd set for "daily use". In general the switching system proved to be very useful in every ship and carrier I tried.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Have a look HERE for specific information about the Laser Reductor. The other parts of that page will give you more insight into the other aspects of the Towbar.OXZ.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
IWantABoa
Average
Average

Post by IWantABoa »

Thanks for all your advice, appreciate it! The Laser Cannon are undeniably good, I was wrong about them being a downgrade. About the Laser Reductor, I haven't tried it, and don't think I will, actually.