Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by RockDoctor »

Cody wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 pm
Roger Hargreaves' Mr Greedy is only slightly easier to read than John Steinbeck's classic Of Mice and Men, a study has found.
<chortles> An interesting list of the 'easiest' and 'hardest' books to read - Gulliver's Travels was rated as the hardest read.
I've not read all of Gulliver, but certainly parts, over the years. Not particularly hard going compared to Dickens and the like. But if you want really hard work, try The Castle by Kafka. I've made at least three attempts on that one and just get completely lost somewhere between pages 200 and 300, then can't bear to pick it up before the library want it back. It's probably more fun than poking my eyes out with a ball point pen, but I'm not sure I want to find out the blunt way. It's worse than the listing of the multigenerational "experience" that are the Dune saga. Or, for that matter, the drawn-out death pangs of Tolkein Jr continually reprinting new, incomplete fragments of his Dad's notes.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Or, for that matter, the drawn-out death pangs of Tolkein Jr continually reprinting new, incomplete fragments of his Dad's notes.
<sniggers> Bored of the Rings is a good read.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Every knife sold in the UK should have a gps tracker fitted in the handle. It’s time we had a national database like we do with guns. If you’re carrying it around you had better have a bloody good explanation, obvious exemptions for fishing etc.
Cody

Post by Cody »

And for incisive thinking such as this, he receives a basic salary of nearly £80k? <sobs>
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Oh well, at least he's adding to the gaiety of the nation. It's expensive for a clown, I'll grant you, but it's not like we get too many yuks out of the rest of them …
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

so every butter knife?
knives are bad but what about forks? Spoons? remember Alan Rickman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

spud42 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am
so every butter knife?
knives are bad but what about forks? Spoons?
Sporks?
How many ways could you kill someone with a chopstick? I can think of 4 places I'd try, if I had to.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

RockDoctor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:38 pm
How many ways could you kill someone with a chopstick? I can think of 4 places I'd try, if I had to.
Aside from the obvious ones like eyes, ears, throat and chest you got some more, depending on the power you are able to use. A pencil or even a car key could offer similar results.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

montana05 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:48 pm
RockDoctor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:38 pm
Aside from the obvious ones like eyes, ears, throat and chest you got some more, depending on the power you are able to use. A pencil or even a car key could offer similar results.
Pencil, yes. Most car key's I've seen aren't long enough to reach vital organs except possibly though the ear.
You missed back of the neck, straight into the brain. Which you could mess up pretty badly with an average key too.
--
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

nose? choose your side left or right? not sure how feasable it is in real life but on a episode of "Travellers" someone was stabbed in the temple with a pencil . how thick is the bone there? not that i have any intentions of reproducing this...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

spud42 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm
nose? choose your side left or right? not sure how feasable it is in real life
There is a weak area at the back of the nose through where the olfactory nerve passes, which might be an attack vector, but the projection of the hard palate would make getting lined up a problem.
spud42 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm
but on a episode of "Travellers" someone was stabbed in the temple with a pencil . how thick is the bone there? not that i have any intentions of reproducing this...
It's thinner than most of the calvarium, but it would still be a hard target for a pencil. Unless it were a metal-bodied propelling pencil.
--
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch …
Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, is suing Twitter because a fake cow was mean to him on the internet. (He's also suing the fake cow.)
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

"Cats tolerate humans, Dogs adore Humans, Pigs treat humans as equals. I like Pigs." Winston Churchill
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Sheer profundity! <sobs>