Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What are the 'old' commanders doing nowadays ?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: What are the 'old' commanders doing nowadays ?

Post by CaptSolo »

I'm still around as are some of your stations in my ooniverse.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Nice to see all and @ Solo. Glad my station textures where still of some use :). :D

At this moment I'm fully hyped for No Mans Sky Next. Already sunk 120 hrs into the 'normal' version of the game and loving it. The game got a lot of backlash but at the moment I think it is a healthier state than both SC or ED. No I am not an advocate of the game. The liking comes purely out of myself and from the current gameplay already in the game

https://youtu.be/e5d5Mo-Gw_U

But even then. Still definitely loving Oolite. It is my nr 1 game to go game on the Macbook.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

The loss of a loved one.. There are no words, sorry will never fill that gap.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

How many still fly?
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Grounded!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Well, I'm still here, although I didn't play Oolite from many years. :( But definitely I will be back! I'm really shocked, OXPs are still created. It's for me really nice surprise.
Now I'm playing Elite: Dangerous, sometimes No Man's Sky and X-Wing.
A4000 060/50, 16 MB RAM, A1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB; LiteOn 52x32x52, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, CDTV, A600, C-64, C-64+1541-II, C-64G, C-16
Still hunting in Edriuson (G3) for Deadly status...
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Not sure if I count for the "old" commanders, but hey, I'm still looking into the boards and IRC from time to time. Good to see that you are still around!
I'm not flying much in Oolite, though – too many other video games here that are new and need to get played :oops:
By the way, I looked at No Man's Sky for a few times already... might play it for a bit some time, too :)
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Greetings Cmdrs.
Personally ED4 is everything I ever wished for, and more. When I think back to all my annoying Oolite questions, like "why can't we drift around corners' & stuff, well, flight assist off nailed that for me :) .
I'm kind of sad that the 'friendliest bunch of people this side of Reidquat' didn't form an ED player minor faction or something. I miss the community here.
I still pop back here every now & again to check it out, & maximum respect to you all at Oolite for keeping the flame alive during the 'dark ages' between FFE & ED4.
Where Oolite will always win is it's ability to teach people how to program stuff for themselves.
My own meddlings never really got beyond making my Griff prototype boa go faster, but if programming had been my thing, this would have been the place to do it.
If there's anyone here doing ED, or if there is some faction somewhere that I don't know of, hit me up in game if you want. It'd be great to come & 'visit' you. Cmdr Yodebe (Jody B)
Thankyou Oolite, for all the awesome fun I've had over the years in the Ooniverse.
& best wishes for the future.
xx
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

<blinks in the beautifully rendered sunlight of the friendliest forum this side of Riedquat>

I'm still around... I lurk more than often, catching up on posts and checking that you are all behaving. ;-)

I still spend most of my "Elite" based time in ED, sadly, although I do play NMS and a little Star Citizen as well as other games since discovering the wonderful curse that is Steam.

I'm loving the look of the new updates to Oolite at the minute, and I'm thinking about focusing a few livestreams on it once the "ED Beyond Chapter 4" hype dies down.

To be honest, I do have a "faction" in ED that was created for Oolite and the forum people. It's called the "Tionisla Historical Society" and was based around the design stuff myself, Arexack and Rzxe (spelling) did on the TOGY. It's represented in-game as a faction in the Tionisla system and in the next update should have squadrons there bearing the name. My player group "Selezen Lake" was put together to host people like Drew and DaddyHoggy and anyone else who is an old-time Ooliteer, but any Oolite fan is welcome. We're keeping the flames alive there. :)

Canonically (and this is actually mentioned in ED somewhere) the THS owns the TOGY - even though the TOGY hasn't actually made an appearance in ED yet. One day...
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Selezen wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Rzxe (spelling)
*wipes drool off cheek with shriveled hand*

waaaa? Somebody called my name?

:mrgreen:

occasional lurker, install oolite on a new linux install every month or two (48 and still distrohopping, sad)

... but never really play it for more than an hour.

But really really... REALLY impressed by a lot of the new stuff.

Except the planets. I know it's super hard, but they still look unconvincing to me... (sorry sorry sorry)

Free time spent on a cranky 3 d printer and my music. (the use of the word 'music' is debatable)

Oh and I read a lot.
but solely science fiction. All my educated friends think I'm weird.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Selezen wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Rzxe (spelling)
Well done, you got 3 letters right, and 2 of them were even in the right place!

Thanks for the squadron info. I'll be in touch.
Shame THS is not IN Tionisla, but at least they dropped you in not-too-far away.

What's the Togy?

o7
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Yodeebe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:46 am

What's the Togy?

o7
Tionisla orbital graveYard
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Judging from the dates on my save files I was away from Oolite for over a year.

I switch to Minetest, a FOSS game engine for Minecraft-style games. I wanted to resurrect somehow a game that went under, Firefall.

I got caught again in game design issues, only even harder than in Oolite because of the fact that the world is fully editable and because of the multiplayer aspects (Firefall was a MMORPG).

Eventually I drifted further and further away from the model. As a result, the remaining Firefall community isn't interested in what I did, and the Minetest community finds what I did somewhat weird. I had fun making a Minetest game and play-testing it, but I feel like taking a break from it. I'm back messing with Oolite for now.