Time

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Time

Post by Hemlock »

Greetings....
Just an observation and somehow some advice and/or solution.

I have always wondered why when one visits a Coriolis Station to sell and buy goods that the Ooniverse clock stays so docile. In my mind it would be much more "realistic" if offloading/selling 50 tons of stuff would take some time, and indeed, the buying/loading of 50 tons of stuff would also take some time.
As it stands, one can visit a station, sell off 50 tons of computers and pick up 50 tons of furs and be in and out in minutes. Even allowing for looking at and kicking the thrusters of assorted space craft.

My point, is there an automatic way, or an OXP, to adjust the Ooniverse Clock to reflect a time in port.

I am thinking:
1 ton unload/load time = 30 minutes
10 ton unload/load time = 3 Hours - getting more efficient as more is loaded

etc......

Thanks....feel free to blast me with Mil Lasers if I deserve.

Regards

Hemlock
Commander Hemlock
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Time

Post by Disembodied »

A good idea - and open to all sorts of expansion. Different types of ship could have better or worse loading time modifiers: for example, the Python could have a particularly efficient cargo-hold layout, and load cargo much faster than (say) a Boa. Players could purchase upgrades such as rotating cargo racks, which speed loading and unloading. A more expensive upgrade (e.g. an internal crane) could give a bigger speed boost, at the cost of a small amount of cargo space.

Loading and unloading speeds could vary according to planetary tech level, too: low TLs could be slower, mostly done by hand, whereas high TL stations would have gravity sleds and cargo carousels.

It would be good if loading time was signalled to the player, as well as just advancing the clock. A "clunk" sound effect could signal a ship being loaded or unloaded. One clunk would be a very fast load; five clunks would be the slowest. It wouldn't slow the game to any practical degree but it would definitely make an immediately noticeable difference a player would see when visiting a low-tech system, or changing to a different type of ship.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

I want little time for repair, upgrade an equipment in the Behemoth and Navy Station. The player pay more credits and should be little time.
If the torpedo will be installed one day during the battle in the war zone, then this battle will end without me:)

Suggestion a new station feature is adjusted time for install, upgrade and repair the ship equipments.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Yes, a nice idea … players could pay/bribe the station for faster loading!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Here's a sample (untested!) script you can play with that adds time whenever cargo is bought and sold, factored so that efficiency improved with more cargo bought/sold:

Code: Select all

"use strict";
this.name = "Cargo_Handling_Time";

this.playerBoughtCargo = this.playerSoldCargo = function (commodity, units, price) {
	// only add time for t commodities
	if (system.mainStation.market[commodity].quantity_unit === "0") {
		clock.addSeconds((units * 1800) * ((units * 0.6) / units));
	}
}
To use this, create a folder in your AddOns folder called "Cargo_Handling.oxp", create a subfolder in this called "Config", and save the script in that folder with the name "script.js".

[Edited to fix bug in sample script]
Last edited by phkb on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Thanks phkb....

It didn't seem to work though....did as you instructed...used Notepad++

Save file to large to append.....

H
Commander Hemlock
phkb

Post by phkb »

Sorry, there was a missing bracket. The save further confusion, though, I've put together a small OXP with the working code: Cargo_Handling.oxp.zip. Just unzip the OXP folder into your AddOns folder and you should be good to go.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Just a quick comment here. If someone takes this further, it should probably work so that some sort of transaction key needs to be pressed for things to actually happen. You would kind of create a list of actions and then execute it.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

phkb wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 pm
Sorry, there was a missing bracket. The save further confusion, though, I've put together a small OXP with the working code: Cargo_Handling.oxp.zip. Just unzip the OXP folder into your AddOns folder and you should be good to go.
Perfect! Works like a champ.....Thank you so much.

I suppose that anyone with the coding brain could if they desire add on to this to expand the ideas outlined above that would be good. Obviously not for everyone's Ooniverse.

Regards
Commander Hemlock
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Seems interesting and well-reasoned addition to Ooniverse!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 pm
I've put together a small OXP with the working code: Cargo_Handling.oxp.zip. Just unzip the OXP folder into your AddOns folder and you should be good to go.
Is this a "mechanics" oxp?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:14 pm
Is this a "mechanics" oxp?
Yes.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page is now up for this cargo-handling oxp
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?