Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - OXZ for Oolite 1.82 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - OXZ for Oolite 1.82 now available

Post by sdrubble »

Commander Bumble wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:51 pm
Hey sdrubble, in case you're still interested.... you've seen now (thanks phkb) what the towbar is supposed to be like; this is how it had appeared in my rear view:
https://postimg.org/image/yfy2zb2sp/

Norby: Many many thanks. I am ecstatic to report that the update has fixed the issue completely. Was most helpful while trying to shake off the fierce Guards of The Curse in COTBS, as they chased me down with a Curse infected system, shields and fuel gone, 2/3 of my equipment knocked out, HUD malfunctioning... but my rear military laser keeping me alive by a hair's breadth.

Have a fab weekend folks.
Thx Commander Bumble ! Everything makes sense now ! :wink:

I barely missed your post - yours was posted while I was 'embroidering' my own one, whilst at the same time working around a fiddly WiFi connection... :x

From the looks of it, it seems that Oolite has grown quite a lot, from a play mechanics + OXPs point of view, since the last time I played it. :shock:

Have fun everybody ! :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

@Bumble: in case you don't know, shift+8 (*) takes in-game screenshots.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Can I ask a question please as to what add-on equipment is available for the Dark Rainbow?
In particular regarding the Naval Energy Unit?
I am using the Naval Grid Next oxp and in all previous ships that I have bought I have aimed to buy a ship with a NEU already present so as to be be able to add a NG.
Is this an option for the Dark Rainbow?
I appreciate that it is probably a different kettle of fish due to it being an organic ship, it's just that I'd hate to amass the 2million needed to buy one and have to sell and replace if it required the NEU required to get the NG.
Apologies for my ignorance here and thank you to anyone who can enlighten me in this matter.
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

The shipyard.plist of Dark_Rainbow_1.2.oxz contain the EQ_NAVAL_ENERGY_UNIT in the optional equipment section so yes.
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

Newbie here, with a question: What would it take to arrange for a respray of the Dark Rainbow? I mean besides just the images themselves, what does the licensing and such mean in terms of being allowed to make the results public, or even an update to the OXZ itself?

(I have a particular hankering for a SugarBowl reskin, if anyone here with better artistic abilities than mine (ie, everyone :) ) wants to take a stab at it. :) )
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

DataPacRat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Newbie here, with a question: What would it take to arrange for a respray of the Dark Rainbow? I mean besides just the images themselves, what does the licensing and such mean in terms of being allowed to make the results public, or even an update to the OXZ itself?
The "Dark Rainbow" is an improvement of the Caduceus and licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4, therefore as long as you mention all members of the other OXP's and keep the license-number everybody is free to modify or to use in another project.

Aside from the legal staff unfortunately I am not able to help, I am a real noob when it comes to graphics. :lol:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

montana05 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 pm
DataPacRat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 pm
The "Dark Rainbow" is an improvement of the Caduceus and licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4, therefore as long as you mention all members of the other OXP's and keep the license-number everybody is free to modify or to use in another project.
Fair enough. Let's say that somebody (or even I) creates some newCaduceus textures, which the Dark Rainbow can inherit. Could that somebody propose incorporating those files into an update to the current OXZ, or would it have to be its own separate little addon?
Aside from the legal staff unfortunately I am not able to help, I am a real noob when it comes to graphics. :lol:
So far, I've found the Caduceus textures, opened them in GIMP, and inverted the colour-values; and the white-and-pink result seems like a surprisingly decent base to work up an actual respray from. I'm still wrestling with how to get my copy of Oolite to load up the inverted versions, so I can see just how many artifacts would result from this massively-over-simplified attempt at a tweak.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

DataPacRat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm
Fair enough. Let's say that somebody (or even I) creates some newCaduceus textures, which the Dark Rainbow can inherit. Could that somebody propose incorporating those files into an update to the current OXZ, or would it have to be its own separate little addon?

So far, I've found the Caduceus textures, opened them in GIMP, and inverted the colour-values; and the white-and-pink result seems like a surprisingly decent base to work up an actual respray from. I'm still wrestling with how to get my copy of Oolite to load up the inverted versions, so I can see just how many artifacts would result from this massively-over-simplified attempt at a tweak.
I have to go offline for a bunch of hours for some errands; I have a sneaking suspicion that it's entirely possible that somebody here knows OXZs well enough to be able to whip up a simple colour-inverted Rainbow before I make it home; consider this post my permission to do so. :)

(... And now I'm imagining a separate "Sugarbowl" OXZ, with flufftext along the lines of, "A group of rodent sociologists have decided that it's Time To Be Awesome. While they don't know much about ship design, they do know a few things about how to use psychological priming to nudge behaviour, and are leveraging their skills accordingly." ... And now I'm wondering just how many dark-grey, dark-red, deep-purple, sickly-green, etc ship textures could be simply similarly colour-inverted to near-white, growing-green, cheery-yellow, cherry-red, etc ones. ... Should I start a new thread for this?)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

It probably easier to create a new OXP, rather than trying to incorporate your texture in an existing one. It’s quite simple to make one OXP have another one as a requirement. There quite a few example of that in the manager. Shout out if you need any help.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

phkb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:06 pm
It probably easier to create a new OXP, rather than trying to incorporate your texture in an existing one. It’s quite simple to make one OXP have another one as a requirement. There quite a few example of that in the manager. Shout out if you need any help.
Totally agreed with phkp, there is no need to invent the wheel every time new. With like_ship you can use all essential settings from the original ship and only need to change the texture.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

I'm actually trying, note the word trying, to work up said Superbowl skin.
The base texture for the Caduceus is a little hard to make out, but having some progress. Not going to be an easy piece.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

So, if I'm getting it right, the Dark Rainbow that I use in Oolite 1.84 does HAVE turrets?
:? errr.... ???
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Prester John wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am
So, if I'm getting it right, the Dark Rainbow that I use in Oolite 1.84 does HAVE turrets?
This is correct, actually the Dark Rainbow got a lot of them :D

A list of most Oolite ships (including the technical details) you can find here:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Oolite_ships
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

montana05 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am
This is correct, actually the Dark Rainbow got a lot of them :D

A list of most Oolite ships (including the technical details) you can find here:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Oolite_ships
*faints again* [THUD!]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Not enirely on topic, but why are you still on 1.84? It is not officially supported anymore, v1.86 has already been out for a year and soon we will be having v1.88 out. I would fully recommend upgrading to the latest version.