Why am I not being offered missions or finding 'most wanted'?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Silent1
Poor
Poor

Why am I not being offered missions or finding 'most wanted'?

Post by Silent1 »

Dear Oolite community

Perhaps this is two separate questions? But along the same lines methinks.

I have a rating of Dangerous (850+) and a ship with everything buyable.

I have followed the advice on how to get missions (i.e. where to go) http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions
and I have even gone to the next galaxy. I have been to nearly every planet where missions are supposed to be offered but I am yet to receive even one!

I also tried looking for 'most wanted' but all I am doing is going backward and forward between planet and never finding any 'most wanted', not one.

I look at the latest info in each station, I have tried waiting, I have even left the station and hung around until the 'expected time' of the 'most wanted's arrival. Still nothing!

I love the game but it is becoming tiresome. Is there any advice from you kindly Ooliters out there?

My thanks in advance.

Silent1

PS This is my first post :)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Why am I not being offered missions or finding 'most wanted'?

Post by ffutures »

Most of the missions with opposition need add-ons - Constrictor Hunt is the only one you should have been offered so far if you're just running the basic game. You need to be in G3 with 1281 kills for Thargoid Plans, all of the others (which aren't explicitly about fighting as such) have requirements like being in G4 or G5, having a galactic hyperdrive fitted, etc..

Everything from Assassins Guild onward on that list needs expansion packs loaded.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Silent1, welcome to the boards!

I’m not sure about not being offered special missions, as each one has different requirements, and depending on which ones you have installed the instructions will be different.

But, as the author of the “Most Wanted” pack, I’m probably best suited to working out what might be happening for you to prevent you finding the targets.

I’m sorry if I’ve caused you frustration! It’s a fine line I’m trying to tread with that pack, trying to provide just enough information to help in tracking, but not so much that it just becomes an exercise in “go to system X, find ship, shoot ship”. It may be that I’ve erred too much on the lack of information side.

However, it’s also a little hard for me to gauge what the issue might be without some extra information that I’m hoping you could provide. First, would it be possible for you to post here or pm me a copy of your latest.log file? That will tell me (1) what expansions you have installed that might be interfering with one another, and (2) if there are any errors that might need to be addressed.

As for suggestions, the best one I can offer is to try and arrive at the witchpoint ahead of the target, within +/- 1.5 hours of their estimated arrival time. If you can, the target will show up eventually. (Unless you hit a bug, which is certainly possible, and the latest.log file will help there).

Hopefully that will help a little. Again, my apologies if I’ve been the cause of your frustration. Most Wanted was intended to be challenging, although not to the point of tearing your hair out. And maybe with the info from your system I can make things a little clearer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:12 am
It’s a fine line I’m trying to tread with that pack...
It is indeed a fine line - and it depends so much on the player. Welcome aboard, Silent1.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome Commander Silent1!

There is an other place where you can find missions: the list of expansion packs. Scroll down to "Missions" category in the first column, there you can read short descriptions of the available packages what you can install within the main menu of Oolite.
For example Random Hits is liked by many players, or Thargoid-related ones can give nice challenges.
Silent1
Poor
Poor

Post by Silent1 »

ffutures wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 am
Most of the missions with opposition need add-ons - Constrictor Hunt is the only one you should have been offered so far if you're just running the basic game. You need to be in G3 with 1281 kills for Thargoid Plans, all of the others (which aren't explicitly about fighting as such) have requirements like being in G4 or G5, having a galactic hyperdrive fitted, etc..

Everything from Assassins Guild onward on that list needs expansion packs loaded.
I'm sure I did that, but I shall check again.

Thanks!
Silent1
Poor
Poor

Post by Silent1 »

Silent1, welcome to the boards!

I’m not sure about not being offered special missions, as each one has different requirements, and depending on which ones you have installed the instructions will be different.

But, as the author of the “Most Wanted” pack, I’m probably best suited to working out what might be happening for you to prevent you finding the targets.

I’m sorry if I’ve caused you frustration! It’s a fine line I’m trying to tread with that pack, trying to provide just enough information to help in tracking, but not so much that it just becomes an exercise in “go to system X, find ship, shoot ship”. It may be that I’ve erred too much on the lack of information side.

However, it’s also a little hard for me to gauge what the issue might be without some extra information that I’m hoping you could provide. First, would it be possible for you to post here or pm me a copy of your latest.log file? That will tell me (1) what expansions you have installed that might be interfering with one another, and (2) if there are any errors that might need to be addressed.

As for suggestions, the best one I can offer is to try and arrive at the witchpoint ahead of the target, within +/- 1.5 hours of their estimated arrival time. If you can, the target will show up eventually. (Unless you hit a bug, which is certainly possible, and the latest.log file will help there).

Hopefully that will help a little. Again, my apologies if I’ve been the cause of your frustration. Most Wanted was intended to be challenging, although not to the point of tearing your hair out. And maybe with the info from your system I can make things a little clearer.
Thanks for the advice!

Though I'm not sure what you mean by: ... arrive at the witchpoint ... Do you mean the point I arrive at when I have hyperspaced to a planet? Then wait about there rather than head into the planet?
Silent1
Poor
Poor

Post by Silent1 »

Cody wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:50 pm
It’s a fine line I’m trying to tread with that pack...
It is indeed a fine line - and it depends so much on the player. Welcome aboard, Silent1.
Thank you!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Silent1 wrote:
Though I'm not sure what you mean by: ... arrive at the witchpoint ... Do you mean the point I arrive at when I have hyperspaced to a planet? Then wait about there rather than head into the planet?
Yes, that point. There should be a navigation beacon there to mark the spot, and if you have the Advanced Space Compass, it should be one of the targets. You may not have to jump into the system though. If you've arrived in system a few hours ahead of the target, you could use the "Wait for time period" from the GalCop Security Office F4 interface screen to use up some time, then jet out to the witchpoint beacon from the main station.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Silent1 wrote:
I also tried looking for 'most wanted' but all I am doing is going backward and forward between planet and never finding any 'most wanted', not one.
Based on your question in another thread about how to use the Warrant Scanner, that may be at least part of the problem. Most Wanted bounty amounts are hidden until revealed by the Warrant Scanner, so you may have seen a target without realising it if you haven't been scanning ships.