Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Converted dat2obj model has 0 verticies

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Converted dat2obj model has 0 verticies

Post by ddeo »

Hi,
I have question regarding Dat2Obj.py and Dat2ObjTex.py:

I have converted oolite_cobra3.dat and .obj model had 0 verticies.
After that I've tried both cobra1_redux.dat and cobra3_redux.dat. Conversion for both worked fine. I've loaded .obj files to Blender and mesh looks like this: Image

I have few questions regarding above:
- Above mesh is cobra1_redux, it looks very simple, I believe it is one of older models? If yes, why is it still in game files?
- oolite_cobra3.dat looks like much more advanced model based on reading .dat file in text editor. Any idea why Dat2Obj converts it to .obj with zero verticies? Mesh is empty.
- I've checked github https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... ter/Models How to open these .mesh files?

I am trying to load models to Blender or wings3d. Would like to preview these and perhaps edit something.
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Converted dat2obj model has 0 verticies

Post by ddeo »

I've just read that .mesh is file format for Meshwork, which is MacOS 3d software. So to precise 3rd question, how can I open these files if I am not using MacOS?

Also, which of all these files are most up to date and are used in game?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

From the Readme.md in the oolite-mesh-converter repository on github:
Bug reports: currently, Obj2DatTexNorm.py is the only one that can be considered actively maintained, and the others have known problems.
I think that is the main problem you are facing. However, and in case you would be interested in doing some testing (since no-one else apparently can), you can try doing the conversion with the updated Dat2Obj programs contained in Pull Request #1 from that repo (note: not official code yet). Diff to the versions currently in master is: https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.co ... ull/1.diff
- Above mesh is cobra1_redux, it looks very simple, I believe it is one of older models? If yes, why is it still in game files?
Yes, it is the old version of the model and all old model versions are included in the game files for reasons of compatibility with older OXPs which are like_shipping their ships with those old variants.
- oolite_cobra3.dat looks like much more advanced model based on reading .dat file in text editor. Any idea why Dat2Obj converts it to .obj with zero verticies? Mesh is empty.
See above.
- I've checked github https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... ter/Models How to open these .mesh files?
The .obj files for the new models are inlcuded inside the ModelsPost-1.80.obj folder in that repository. Why not trying to load those directly on to Blender?
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ddeo »

another_commander wrote:
However, and in case you would be interested in doing some testing (since no-one else apparently can), you can try doing the conversion with the updated Dat2Obj programs contained in Pull Request #1 from that repo (note: not official code yet). Diff to the versions currently in master is: https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.co ... ull/1.diff
Tested, it does convert model, but there seems to be an issue with something. I get the model, but it's not clean:
another_commander wrote:
The .obj files for the new models are inlcuded inside the ModelsPost-1.80.obj folder in that repository. Why not trying to load those directly on to Blender?
I can't believe I've missed that, thanks! Imported cobra from these files into Blender, looks good:
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

which repository is the one that was mentioned? that has the obj files already? because i had the same issue whilst trying to convert some of the oxz models myself, since they were converted to dat using the newest converter that enables normal maps, they dont play nice with backward conversion and always the obj file has a huge 0 vertices, 0 faces, and 0 edges at the top of the file (if you open it in text editor) before it calculates all the coordintes for the verts, faces and edges. seems like it would only take a simple edit to the converters so it writes the correct number of each instead of zero. seems like there is no real congruence between the obj and dat file in how it writes the coordinates of the verts, faces, edges, and it is not a one for one copy, but translated to hex maybe in one or the other? not even sure how one could manually work around that by calculating the faces etc with the info that did convert in the obj file and then just replace the zeros with actual values, but trying to copy them from what is listed in the dat file does not work at all. so something pertinent is missing, just not sure what.

normally the models i convert in that regard are simply for viewing, since i like to study the different models and textures, and in some cases make alternate textures for existing models. more than once i have actually had a newer griff style model right next to the one i am working on to keep the art style consistent, and also to get a few ideas that can be mirrored in sublte ways on the new model. in some cases i also like to put the original next to the new one for comparison and possible greebling clues from the texture. it would just help immensely to be able to finally convert the trouble models, or have the source available (in obj format already).

NM: i figured out what repository it was and i already had those, but i still dont have a solution to some of the models (unless i try to figure out the diff file) and i was primarily trying to get a look at the elite 2 bug. or models similar to its release time. since they only come in oxz, and the converters dont work, and there is no source obj file, it makes it a bit more difficult.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Amazing work on your ship models and textures jackiebean, :D The gallery in your other thread is absolutely fantastic, really great stuff!

I thought the object files for the 'bug' and my other non core ships were up on my box.net folder, in the 'Resources' folder...

https://app.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9
(Direct link to Resources - https://app.box.com/s/u1zl977uunixma3l0iau )

...but I think the 'bug' might be missing, i'll have a go at finding its stuff and uploading it. Let me know if you have problems accessing that folder and i'll try and find somewhere else to put them as some folk here reported problems trying to access oxp files from here a while back, not sure what happened as it used to be OK
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The Bug .zip is there.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ah I think that's just an oxp version of the ship for the game, I've forgotten to put all the model obj files and various source texture bits and pieces for it onto box, but if you're able to see that file cody then maybe i'm back in box.net's good books and they've un-broken my free account with them, yay! :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 am
... maybe i'm back in box.net's good books and they've un-broken my free account with them, yay!
I think that's your folder on my Box account, Griff.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ah man, you're right - sorry I didn't pay close enough attention to the link , hopefully the sharing still works on my box.net account too, it's mostly full of dust and cobwebs now though
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

ok, i think i figured out some of the issue, i downloaded everything in the subfolder, but did not download everything outside it. and yeah, kind of off topic so i will take it back to PMs with griff.