BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Svengali »

Commander_X wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 pm
It seems that on Linux, BGS2.3/Library1.5 don't cope too well with Hawksound. No problems on Windows, but on Linux switching back and forth between BGS2.2/Library1.4 and BGS2.3/Library1.5 allows/disables Hawksound.
Any help here would be more than welcome!
This is a well known thing. The loading order under Macs and Windows is alphabetical, while Linux is unpredictable. There is no solution for it yet.

See -> https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... T3#p229381
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Oh, thank you, that makes sense.
I'll try to follow cim's advice on splitting between ManagedAddOns and AddOns. I guess loading Hawksound later is the desired outcome here.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Svengali wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 pm
This is a well known thing. The loading order under Macs and Windows is alphabetical, while Linux is unpredictable. There is no solution for it yet.
There might be a couple of potential solutions.. the same problem has been encountered with other games on Linux that rely on loading mods in a specific order, and I've found the following workarounds reported as working:

One person created a shim file system created using FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) that sorts directories before returning the file list.

This seems less than optimal, as it would require the player to install FUSE, set up the shim filesystem, and (possibly) then set it up to work with Oolite.

Another person used a sorting script to sort files and rewrite them to a USB drive in alphabetical order, to deal with idiosyncrasies of the FAT filesystem on MP3 players.

This does suggest a possible workaround for Oolite on Linux, but it would involve making changes to the core Oolite code.

What would be needed is a pre-loader code section for Linux builds which, before loading the addons, parses the entire OXP/OXZ directory listing into an array, sorts it, and then uses the sorted list to load all the addons in alphabetical order. Such a routine shouldn't be too hard to create. But there may be some 'gotchas' involved.. I've never looked at the addon loader and caching routines in Oolite.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Well, for what it's worth, let me report cim's solution worked (had to get ManagedAddOns created, placed BGF2.3 & Library1.5 there, and left Hawksound in ~/.Oolite/AddOns -- it worked).

Just to add to Dizzy's list of solutions (not necessarily 100% tested, but): I usually have my "main" AddOns folder on a NTFS partition (yeah, must admit, my Windows instance has waaaay more games installed than Linux). Linking that AddOns folder to ~/.Oolite/AddOns never failed with this type of issue -- I guess the ntfs-3g driver returns the alphabetically sorted order of files and directories.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

[EliteWiki] BGS v2.4 is online.

Changes:
Added 2 more textures for the docking effect. BGS itself doesn't use them, but could be nice for other AddOns.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Is it possible for BGS to be updated in game?
I have previously been able to do this but since the update to 2.4 it is only showing 1.10.9

Is this because I downloaded 2.4 manually rather than via managed add-ons?

FWIW I also have the same issue with Library

O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

BGS 2.4 and Library 1.6 are still being worked on, so aren't available via the manager.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Much gratitude to Cody for his services to cheese

:?

My knowledge is like cheese......

Full of holes :lol:
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
Cody

Post by Cody »

Damocles Edge wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 pm
Much gratitude to Cody for his services to cheese...
My services to cheese are legendary! Have a String Cheese Incident
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Damocles Edge wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 pm
I have previously been able to do this but since the update to 2.4 it is only showing 1.10.9
Currently I simply can't. None of the versions in the OXZ-Manager have been added by me, so I do have no access. I just need to wait for cim to get an account and then we can transfer the rights. It may take a bit though .-)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

[EliteWiki] v2.5 is online.

Changes:
- Added bgs_tunnel_contrast
- Shader performance tweaks
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Svengali wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:33 pm
Damocles Edge wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 pm
Currently I simply can't. None of the versions in the OXZ-Manager have been added by me, so I do have no access. I just need to wait for cim to get an account and then we can transfer the rights.
@Svengali
I may be able to help on that matter, if I get to understanding the issue.
What s the problem? You miss an account in oolite.org?

EDIT: Quoted relevant chat.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@Getafix: Muchas gracias, Getafix!

Chris has send me the login already, so all is well and we can think about transfering the rights now.
So I guess it won't take much time before the new versions will be available in the manager .-)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

De nada Svengali! :wink:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Sundiver
Average
Average

Post by Sundiver »

I really enjoy the graphical enhancements from the the Background Set. I would like to turn of or remove the station chatter and Aegis chatter. If my daily work did not include very much the same sort of sounds I would probably enjoy them more.
The problem is, not being savvy in the way of programming I cannot seem to open and edit the files. I have edited p-lists at need before but I get nothing I can understand in this case.
All the add-ons want to open in Firefox. If I choose Notepad I see a lot of mysterious characters (is this Thargonish?).
I am running on Windows 8
In any case I think I am missing something that should be relatively simple from what I have read so far. Maybe I need to down load some sort of editor?

If someone can cast some help my way I would appreciate it.

Thanks