Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Queue jumping at stations?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Queue jumping at stations?

Post by Imaginos »

Having recently bought a new ship without docking computer I have been forced to go back to the old way of docking manually. After contacting the station I was told that I was the four ship in the queue. Then after a couple of minutes I was told that my place in the queue was 11. How does that work?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Queue jumping at stations?

Post by Cody »

Usually, it's launching ships being given priority. Either that, or Station Control didn't like the paint job on your ship.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

If you install ILS OXP, even an 11 long queue will be done in short time. All NPCs will use it right when the OXP is installed so you don't need to buy the ILS equipment if you prefer manual landing.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Mine just jumped from 8 to 15, both launching queues. And some NPC ships docked in between, after the first 8 ships had launched.
Why is it always so that each and every NPC ship that's in the docking/launch queue needs to have docked/launched until the player finally gets clearance ?
I once had station dock control installed, which "fixed" this and I got my docking clearance previously to those ships "requesting" it after me, but as it caused some bugs I had to remove it again.
ILS helps a lot as ships with injectors use them, but it's just a workaround.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Anonymissimus wrote:
I once had station dock control installed, which "fixed" this and I got my docking clearance previously to those ships "requesting" it after me, but as it caused some bugs I had to remove it again.
What bugs did you encounter with Station Dock Control?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Many times it comes down to either the launching or docking of GalCop ships. As mentioned previously with I.L.S. installed the docking part is not much of a problem. However, the launching part can seemingly take forever with the station spitting out a procession of purple one after the other, after another, after another.

GalCop Viper {PUTOOWEE} - GalCop Viper {PUTOOWEE} - GalCop Viper {PUTOOWEE} - GalCop Viper {PUTOOWEE} - GalCop Viper {PUTOOWEE}

You get the idea. Best to get some paperwork done while you wait it out. Also get your front view port cleaned once you finally get to dock.

Best Of Luck Commander. Safe Dockings and Happy Landings.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

phkb wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:17 pm
Anonymissimus wrote:
What bugs did you encounter with Station Dock Control?
IIRC the main problem (i.e. the one big problem I recall) was that sometimes the launching of ships just ceased. In the launching queue ship after ship was scheduled, but when the time came, nothing launched. Fatal for a courier waiting for someone to open that 6.8ly wormhole.
EDIT
The other reason I removed station dock control was that I felt it made it too easy to "pay" an hour or so of game time to get said free wormhole.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning