Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sailsman63
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Sailsman63 »

Hey! Sailsman63 here.

I've been playing with oolite off and on for a few years now, And been reading the board for about as long.

Finally joined, since I've got a few OXP ideas I'd like feedback/balancing advise for, before I try to code them.

Amateur programmer, mostly in Java (And I know that javascript is different)

I'm an honest trader, inoffensive and ready to help. I also don't like bullies, and can be stubborn about giving up my cargo to them.

And if they should meet with a... mischance?... in their vile depredations, I'll not leave that lovely cargo to spoil. It's poetic justice, really, even if it doesn't begin to make up for what they tried to do to my ship.

So, if you wonder whats up with the n00b posting in the OXP board, that would be me.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sailsman63 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:12 am
So, if you wonder whats up with the n00b posting in the OXP board, that would be me.

G'day Sailsman63, and welcome aboard!

We like noobs here, as you're probably well aware. And OXP ideas are always welcome.

Wild-arsed-guess says 63 is the year of your birth? (lots of us old farts here.. I hail from 1960)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 pm
Wild-arsed-guess says 63 is the year of your birth? (lots of us old farts here.. I hail from 1960)
Young'uns! Get off my lawn!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Sailsman63
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Sailsman63 »

Diziet Sma wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 pm
guess says 63 is the year of your birth? (lots of us old farts here.. I hail from 1960)
No, just sort of a random thing that stuck. I'm rather younger than that guess would make me.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sailsman63 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:41 pm
No, just sort of a random thing that stuck. I'm rather younger than that guess would make me.

Fair enough.. despite what Cody said above, we don't discriminate here.. :lol:

So.. "Sails"? A sailor of some type, at least?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi, Sailsman63 and welcome.
Age is irrelevant (I'd be Smivs56 if we all did Dizzies thing!) and we're looking forward to hearing about your OXP ideas. As you have been lurking for a while you'll know how dangerous 'The Dark Side' is - Abandon hope all Ye who enter here! :lol:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Sailsman63
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Sailsman63 »

Diziet Sma wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 am
So.. "Sails"? A sailor of some type, at least?
A wannabe.

I've sailed a little plastic catboat that a relative had a few times, and turtled a 14 foot hobbie cat. Most of my water time has a wood-and-muscle 'sail'

I've built a couple of these:
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Sailsman63 wrote:
Welcome Sailsman,
That's beautiful, I am a carpenter by trade and I love to see that kind of craftsmanship, really impressive.
I love the whitewater, got what's called a pack-cat, not to pretty but she's carried me through some gnarly stuff.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sailsman63 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Beautiful! Reminds me a lot of the one my father is currently building.

Sailsman63 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:55 pm
A wannabe.

I've sailed a little plastic catboat that a relative had a few times, and turtled a 14 foot hobbie cat. Most of my water time has a wood-and-muscle 'sail'

I'm a wannabe too.. I've spent a lot of time on a friend's 18-foot trailer-sailer, and the longer term plan is to build one of these.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Rapidly approaching my 200th jump through Witchspace in the Oolite Oomniverse so it is high time to register on these forums and make with the introductions. Old timer with Elite back in the days of the C-64 so no spring chicken here. Been a member of many varied online communities since the Internet first became a place to be. Most recently was a long time member of the Marvel Heroes Community but alas that one has now gone the way of the Dodo - the bird not the station type. Have been truly enjoying the Oomniverse for a few months now. Well on my way to getting a fabled "Iron-Ass" with only a bit more to go before my Cobra Mk. III is ready for a Grand Tour. Have my eye on upgrading to a Stormbrewer Vigilante if one can ever be found for sale at an affordable price. Splitting my time between good honest trading and Bounty Hunting. Have been sticking within the well established early game clusters that surround Tionisla and Xexedi with a few side trips to some more exotic locations.

Atypically, despite the warnings, went with the massive OXP downloads right from the start. Using close to 350 of them between the two folders. Have even been tweaking the code in some of them to better suit my needs. Will never be able to get a handle on the whole "coding from scratch" thing but doing a good job of cut and paste and copy from what the prestigious creators of these coding gems have put forth. The Wiki pages on the various .plist and .js options have also been most helpful. Have even gone so far as to create a spreadsheet that allows me to accurately track my adventurous profit and spending. It is not tied into Oolite in any coding sort of a way. The information it contains must be typed into a few cells per transaction but it does do all of the math rather nicely. Looking forward to what may come from this great addition to my gaming stable.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Greetings Nite Owl.
C64 eh? You'll remember those tense minutes wondering if the cassette was going to load OK........
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

A squirrel watches the night sky. A shooting star streaks through his vision, triggering something in his mind. His paws twitch, remembering past battles, spiralling through space with grace, and scraping the docks with clumsiness. And he then wonders: "What has changed in the 'verse?"

Pilot's licence excavated, he sets off to visit the worlds of the Galactic Co-operative once more...

I guess once you've caught Oolite, it never quite goes away.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hello, Mauiby - good to see you!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome back - good to see you again.