Oolite Tactics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cwalen
Poor
Poor

Re: Oolite Tactics

Post by cwalen »

Twirling, twirling, twirling... towards victory.

Been almost 30 years since I played elite. With the starter ship and a tendency towards the better paying passenger/parcel contracts, I am running into a _Lot_ of pirates.

The solution I have found? Point your head towards the planet use matchsticks to jam left and down on your keyboard and come back in 10 minutes.

With full pitch and roll it's a cold day in hell before anyone can hit you. It takes a while to corkscrew towards a zone where the galcops will take care of the pirates following you but a pack that can tear you apart in seconds wont get a hit in.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!

Yeah, the corkscrew works. Mind you, when you get into the high-end parcel contracts, assassins may follow you right into the aegis.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cwalen wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:42 am
Twirling, twirling, twirling... towards victory.

Been almost 30 years since I played elite. With the starter ship and a tendency towards the better paying passenger/parcel contracts, I am running into a _Lot_ of pirates.

The solution I have found? Point your head towards the planet use matchsticks to jam left and down on your keyboard and come back in 10 minutes.

With full pitch and roll it's a cold day in hell before anyone can hit you. It takes a while to corkscrew towards a zone where the galcops will take care of the pirates following you but a pack that can tear you apart in seconds wont get a hit in.

Thank you, cwalen, for a great idea you just gave me.. <dashes off to start a new discussion>
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cwalen
Poor
Poor

Post by cwalen »

Fuel injectors make it sort of obsolete, but even if pirates follow you into the agis, it only takes a few close circuits of the space station for their missed shots to gather a galcop presence.

I'll follow Sma to the new post.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cwalen wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:12 am
Sma

Less formality, please.... :D

It's just 'Dizzy' to my friends.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
burbon
Poor
Poor

Post by burbon »

Hello, commanders! Just have found easy way to beat thargoids in interstellar space.
1. Ship must be equiped by military laser and fuel injector as a minimum. How to go interstellar space?-

pressing key to pitch up your ship on full speed while last second of countdown for hyper jumping(for those

who did not know it). It's adwisable to use when you jumping from planet to planet that are within close

range of each other(few hours, etc), because you need fuel as much as possible in interstellar space.
2. Interstellar space, bunch of thargoir's war ships around. First, try to kill someone who are much closely,

till you laser got overheated and/or shields are damaged enough. Then quickly turn your ship around and fly

away with fuel injector, till thargoids became near edge of your radar far behind. Always try to keep someone locked by identification system. Now stop your ship and turn around facing to target and destroy it by shooting. Keep locking and shooting other targets till your laser got overheated and/or enemies became too close. Then fly away on safe distance and return to destroying enemies. In this way it is possible to destroy all of them till you have fuel enough. So, it's time to return to you destination planet now. Finally you have gotten some profit to your cash and rise ranking. I have found this easy flying on Adder, not to mention about much powerfull ships.
That's all, good luck commanders!
P.S.: Sorry for my grammar, English if far not my native language
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Another annoying Assassin tactic I've just encountered - loiter near the station, issue a docking request and renew it repeatedly while making no effort to dock. You can't get in and may eventually leave the aegis intending to sun-skim, and then they come after you.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Buying a joystick is helpful.
Does 'Tactics' only apply on flight mannouvres or are there any more strategic approaches e.g. getting money by pirating&scooping cargo, passenger-transport, classic trade etc...
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

OldThrashbarg wrote:
Does 'Tactics' only apply on flight mannouvres or are there any more strategic approaches
The overall feel was for combat tactics, but earning money is a key factor strategically (without which you can't progress and pay for any of the upgrades your ship so sorely needs), so tactics to help with earning money are useful. In the "Starting Out" section of the page I've included some trade-based suggestions (eg looking for milk runs, avoiding dangerous parcels/passengers), but these are of a more generic nature, rather than "How to be a successful (pirate/bounty hunter/trader/courier/bus driver/etc)". The wiki could certainly benefit from a document that covered these careers, particular as a help to new players who could be a bit overwhelmed by the "Go out there and be whoever you want to be" style of play Oolite encourages.