Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mysterios Ship in Elite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Mysterios Ship in Elite

Post by mocbo »

At 1992 i played Elite on the c64 every Day.

After the flying trough alöl 8 Galaxies i come to the First Galaxy.
There waits the Constrictor Mission for me.
Short after that.. I encountered at the Space around Enonla a Ship that be not displayed on the Scanner. It has the Cloaking Device i think.
I smash these Enemy with 2 full heat loads of my Militäry Laser.
I was on full stop an the Enemy cant shot at me because he circling around me and shows the upperside .
This was mor Luck than other that i shot down these Beast.

The Encounter was unique and it did not occur a second one

Here is a selfmade Drawing of the Craft based on my remember.

Has anyone og you an similar encounter or Fight ?? or know more about these ship?

What is the Name of these Craft ?? This is no Krait !!
The Krait is a most used Ship but this is no Krait.
is only a krait like design. The both " Pylons " are triangular... i am very sure of that

Greetings

Moc
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

what can I say.. sure looks like a Krait.
orrather a Sidewinder with spikes.

the cloaking mission would entangle you with Asps..

good luck with this mystery.
The man next to you is your lunch
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Hmmmm a mystery to be sure, this pic sparked a memory of a picture quietly stored @ Ian Bell's web site...

Team Zorg are Go!
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

I am sure about this was NO Krait. I am remember good about the triangular Wing Pylons.
A sidewinder did not have pylons.

The Ian Bell drawing.. are seems to be first ideas for the krait? or is this a hint for my sighted ship?

The Wing pylons of a Krait are displayed only as lines
Then the Ship was not detectable on Scanner.
An this was not the Cloak Ship Mission

Ilaunched from Enonla Station and head for free Space to the Sun. I have no Jump planned.

The Encounder begins, as i noticed that i be fired upon but nothing was on Scanner. Now I turned the Ship and see the closing firing Ship.
I go to a full stop to turn towards the flying by Enemy. In this Move the mystery Ship turned around me, without a Chance to get me in thier Firing Arc.
I think the Ship has less Agility . I firing with my Military Laser at it..
2 full loads in 4 or 5 long salvos, than is exploded with no cargo drop

That was the Reason for the Victory over these Ship

MFG

Moc
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Maybe it was a krait mixed with a memory bug.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

The Ship Structure to organized and to clear, that to be a bug...
I am sure ther Ship was real and not a bug.
I ve found a Ship in Bels and Brabens Concepts that called COUGAR.. What is that?. It is possible that these Ship is a Cougar?
In the Game I called it the Stealth Pirate.

Then the Ship takes 4 times more Damage than a ordinary Krait.
The Ship looks in the Middle Sektion like a Kind of Sidewinder but it was not one. The Shape of the Superstructure differs very noticeable.

Greetings

Moc
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

mocbo wrote:
I ve found a Ship in Bels and Brabens Concepts that called COUGAR.. What is that?. It is possible that these Ship is a Cougar?
well, if you have oldships.oxp installed and it looks like this..
then it could be a Cat/Cougar ;)
The man next to you is your lunch
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

Sorry Shiit

This Ship shape did´nt matches the sighted Ship in any Form

No Pylons and long

The mean Ship as more Wingspan that lenght

Has D. Braben or I. Bell a functional Email Adress. They must be known what it is ! ?

How it is possible to become the Source Code from the BBC Elite ? to search in it for the Ship?

MFG

Eyk
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I rember as BBC Micro player in the 80s seeing this "Cloak & Dagger" ship described in the Mad Hatter's Collum of Acorn User. I think it was a cloaked ship in orginal Elite, although I never saw one myself.

This forum is for Oolite. Do download it if you haven't played Oolite yet and are still playing Elite on an Emulator!!

Oolite rocks!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

I planning to remake this Ship for OOlite but i have no Expierence in Making Ships for Oolite

I like OOlite .. This game is great and rocks.... I see the Game as Gapfiller between Elite and Frontier. The Features that a kissed at the original Elite are implemented. Then the mysterios big Ships are implemented ( behemoth, dredgers etc).
From Time to Time i play Elite and Frontier on Emulators to remember these good times.

I have played Frontier as same as intensive than the first Elite.
but in Frontier i missing the Action in the Conflict between Empire and Federation. Then i missed the huge Battleships that be decribed in the Text Documents that come with the Game. The Long Range Cruisers didnt the biggest i think and primarely not a warship.

Do you know more Details about these mistery Ship btw its Name?

Where do you have sightet that Ship and under what circumstances?

Greetings

Moc
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

:lol: Hey I'm 35 and trying to remember somthing I read as a 14 year old Elite geek (as opposed to a 35 year old Oolite Geek!). I think B & B just included the Cloak & Dagger ship, without giving it an explanation or plot, at least in BBC Elite, although ZX Spetrum Geeks claimed that there was a cloaking device mission in their version although this wasn't in the BBC Version.

Giles included a cloaking device mission in Oolite, although he used a Cloaked Asp (kill him, scoop his "unusal cargo canister" and the cloaking device is yours).

You can give an OXP ship you desgin any equipment you want, by including in shipdata the command that it the ship has it.

EG

Code: Select all

<key>has_cloaking_device</key>
<real>1</real>

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

To try to answer Moc's question, the ship has been known as the Cougar or Cat, and apprarently it was supposed to be an experimental naval scout fighter. Like the Wolf, it only appeared in a few versions of Elite, including the C64 version. It carried a cloak, and wasn't a pirate, ie it would dog you on a parrelel course when encountered but wouldn't fire the first shot. No mission would be offered to kill it, yet killing it would get you a cloaking device.
It also appeared in xElite as a player flyable ship.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

The Ship has fired the first Shots... I recognized it due the incoming Fire and my draining Front shield, because it was not sightable on the Scanner.

These Ship is called Cat? are you sure?

I have scratchbuild a Model of these Ship with Wings.
UI used a Sidwinder Hull ansd modified it ( Height, lenght, Wingspan changed ans some vertices ar rezised ). Then i added the 2 long triangular Pylons.

Has anyone Interest on this?

Greetings

Moc
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
To try to answer Moc's question, the ship has been known as the Cougar or Cat, and apprarently it was supposed to be an experimental naval scout fighter. Like the Wolf, it only appeared in a few versions of Elite, including the C64 version. It carried a cloak, and wasn't a pirate, ie it would dog you on a parrelel course when encountered but wouldn't fire the first shot. No mission would be offered to kill it, yet killing it would get you a cloaking device.
It also appeared in xElite as a player flyable ship.
And what an excellent ship, very fast and manouverable, with a total cargo space of 50 tons, and a hyperspace jump distance of up to 14LY. The nearest equivalent in Oolite would be the Supercobra.

Click on the pics here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... elite#9378

The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

Here two Screenies of the build and textured Stealth Ship Model

But i have one Problem.
How i convert it to the Dat Format that uses OOlite.
I have as Os Windows XP

What i have to Do?

Greetings

moc