Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smuggling in vanilla Oolite?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Smuggling in vanilla Oolite?

Post by byronarn »

How does smuggling work in vanilla Oolite? I know there are OXPs that make it easy (hidden compartments, bribing flight control, stations where illegal goods aren't illegal, etc.) but is it possible in vanilla Oolite?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Smuggling in vanilla Oolite?

Post by phkb »

In vanilla Oolite you can purchase narcotics or firearms from any station you like, but if you dock at a mainstation with those goods you'll be penalised. For slaves you can dock with them on board, but if you launch from a mainstation with slaves on board you'll be penalised. If you can find a Rock Hermit you might be able to offload those goods without a penalty. That's as far as it goes.
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 am
In vanilla Oolite you can purchase narcotics or firearms from any station you like, but if you dock at a mainstation with those goods you'll be penalised. For slaves you can dock with them on board, but if you launch from a mainstation with slaves on board you'll be penalised. If you can find a Rock Hermit you might be able to offload those goods without a penalty. That's as far as it goes.
For some reason, whenever I saw someone mention Rock Hermits, I always thought they were from an OXP. Did a quick Google search after reading this to find out that they are indeed vanilla Oolite. Been playing this game for years (off and on), and it's amazing that I am still learning about it!

Any tips on finding Rock Hermits? I know that there is an OXP to be able to buy a locator, but what about in vanilla Oolite? Is it just a lucky find or is there ways that people in the know-how can find them?
phkb

Post by phkb »

You quite often find them between the planet and the sun.
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:23 am
You quite often find them between the planet and the sun.
Ah thanks! I think I will start looking for them. I am definitely interested!

Do Rock Hermits provide prices that are the same as the system market, or are they different? If they are different, is there any way to predict whether they will be higher or lower at the rock hermit?
phkb

Post by phkb »

byronarn wrote:
Do Rock Hermits provide prices that are the same as the system market, or are they different?
They're usually different. Their prices on mined goods are usually very good, their prices on other items are a bit more variable. From the wiki:
Often Rock Hermits are home to shady affairs so narcotics can be obtained here at a low price. Food and luxuries are the stuff a hermit cannot produce, so these will go at a premium. Assure you get paid before you offload your fine Ineran Brandy though! Do not let the unglamorous name fool you: rock hermits are not defenceless. Most have a small fleet of ships ready to be launched.
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 am
byronarn wrote:
Do Rock Hermits provide prices that are the same as the system market, or are they different?
They're usually different. Their prices on mined goods are usually very good, their prices on other items are a bit more variable. From the wiki:
Often Rock Hermits are home to shady affairs so narcotics can be obtained here at a low price. Food and luxuries are the stuff a hermit cannot produce, so these will go at a premium. Assure you get paid before you offload your fine Ineran Brandy though! Do not let the unglamorous name fool you: rock hermits are not defenceless. Most have a small fleet of ships ready to be launched.
Thank you. Lots to think about for future expeditions. If I can ever seem to find a rock hermit, that is...
CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Post by CmdrGumbo »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 am
In vanilla Oolite you can purchase narcotics or firearms from any station you like, but if you dock at a mainstation with those goods you'll be penalised.
I thought you can always bring in narcotics etc. without punishment, but if you leave a station with such cargo you will be penalised. That way you can scoop cargo containers containing such illegal goods when underway and sell them once you have docked.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

byronarn wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 am
Any tips on finding Rock Hermits?
Keep an eye out for rock swarms/distant explosions - if there's mining going on, there's likely a rock hermit nearby.

<nods at Gumbo> Aye, you can dock with contraband aboard - if your legal status is clean.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CmdrGumbo wrote:
I thought you can always bring in narcotics etc. without punishment, but if you leave a station with such cargo you will be penalised. That way you can scoop cargo containers containing such illegal goods when underway and sell them once you have docked.
This is how it works. Buying slaves, narcotics and firearms isn't illegal; neither is selling them. The only thing that will increase your criminal record is launching from a main system station with any quantity of those goods on board, regardless of whether you bought them there, or bought them somewhere else, or scooped them as salvage.
phkb

Post by phkb »

CmdrGumbo wrote:
I thought you can always bring in narcotics etc. without punishment, but if you leave a station with such cargo you will be penalised.
Well, obviously that's what I meant to say!

:oops:

A case of editing and re-editing a post to improve clarity, only to do the exact opposite. That's a thing, isn't it?
Cody

Post by Cody »

<sniggers>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am
A case of editing and re-editing a post to improve clarity, only to do the exact opposite. That's a thing, isn't it?
It is now.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Diziet Sma wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 am
phkb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am
It is now.. :lol:
We shall call it the phkb effect...
phkb

Post by phkb »

byronarn wrote:
We shall call it the phkb effect...
Cool! I have an effect! I must be special. It's a special effect! :D