The Assassins Guild OXP - Beta

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Finished that mission now, the only odd thing that happened was I found just outside the main battle arena, a whole cluster of about 20 dormant thargons, very tightly packed together, so thought hey good opportunity for some multiple scooping, scooped just under half of them when they suddenly shot off the left side of the scanner, it happened so quickly that they literally just flashed off the scanner.

TGHC
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The only System the Assassins Script adds Thargoids is at Geteve, once the Invasion starts (and also adds Navy Bots and Navy Drones, once the Navy BattleBot is perfected). Not sure why sleepy Thargons should appear at the Mafia's System. It maybe they were left over from a battle generated by the Native Code (or another OXP). The thing with OXPs is that each OXP just adds to what is already there! But the Thargons aren't added by Assassins.oxp.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It was very odd, I've never seen the like before, they were tumbling/rotating individually as per normal, but were closely packed like shoaling fish.

Has anyone else seen this?
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Just downloaded the OXP, can't wait to play it. I'm in galaxy 2 at the moment though, so I've not even got my cloaking device (how do I get that by the way?)
Anyway, just posting to say - really looking forward to playing this one.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

ramon wrote:
Just downloaded the OXP, can't wait to play it. I'm in galaxy 2 at the moment though, so I've not even got my cloaking device (how do I get that by the way?)
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions is probably a good help. I'd complete the Nova Mission first, since I didn't get a briefing when I skipped Galaxy Four.

Captain Hesperus
"Everytime I meet a new contractor, I find myself deeper in trouble."
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The cloaking device is one of the native missions in Oolite, it triggers in Galaxy 5, so you can "acquire it" on the way to Galaxy 7 where the assassins guild OXP takes place. You could also do the Nova mission in Galaxy 4 on your journey through, for that you'll need a GH.

Make sure your ship has a fuel scoop fitted!

Good hunting!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

He He, great minds think alike.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Have finished a Version 5 Beta, which fixes a couple of problems with the Team Minders AI (they had a tendancy to wander off!). It also makes 3 ships available as player ships. I won't be able to upload it until tuesday though, as I have no connection until then.

Most Ships in Assassins are way too Uber to fall into the player's hands, but I think these three will be fine. All have the same Stats as the NPC version and come with External Views.

The "Retro-Adder" is a standard adder (except for the paint job) and its retro white lasers. It also carries 5 tones of cargo rather than the usual two and is fitted with a huge booster taking its top speed to 0.30lm. On the down side it is 40,000 Credits more than the standard adder and that big booster fills the entire aft view with engine flames, making rear shooting very difficult.

The Nemesis is a light Military / Security Ship. Quite fast at 0.32lm, very nippy and with 4 energy banks. On the downside, it can only carry one missile, only has a forward gun mount and has no cargo capacity. At 450,000 Credits it is an expensive bounty hunter's ship.

The Mongoose is a cheap one man fighter. Tiny, fast and nippy, but only one energy bank, a forward gun mount, one missile pylon and no cargo capacity. Due to it's tiny size most equipment cannot be fitted to the hull. It is cheap though at a mere 30,000 Credits.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hi LB I'm on mission 13 at the moment, and have found on occasions when launching from Estiri and choosing B in the advanced compass that as soon as you start to centre the B changes to the planet icon, mostly it is ok, but it has happened on several occasions. BTW you should deduce that I've had numerous attempts at this one, it's the toughest so far to work out, but the mark's days are numbered!

This OXP is absolutely superb, it has added a completely new dimension to Oolite and all the more impressive as it is your first attempt at an OXP.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Noticed that with the Advanced Space Compase (although it only seems to do it with Extra Stations).

That mission is tricky. Adopting the right stratergy is the key! Try it one way and you should be blown to bits even in a fully blinged out Imperial Courier. But I have completed it in Ramon's Mark II Adder, trying the mission a different way. :twisted:

Mission 14 will be even more difficult (once Heretic finishes the Battle Station). At the moment though it is faily easy, but should still give you a few nasty moments.

PS: Ramon, you should go to Zaria in G2 and play Ionics. Also reckomend hanging out in G4 for a bit after doing the Nova Mission in order to play Lovecats. Depossed in G4 is also really good. (And was the insperiation for Assassins - multi mission with News Broadcasts!)
Last edited by LittleBear on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
Make sure your ship has a fuel scoop fitted!
Yeah, I forgot that. I kind of assumed that you'd have a fuel scoop by the time you hit G5....

Captain Hesperus
"Never trust assumptions, they're invariably wrong and when they're right they're flawed."
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
Ramon, you should go to Zaria in G2 and play Iconics. Also reckomend hanging out in G4 for a bit after doing the Nova Mission in order to play Lovecats. Depossed in G4 is also really good.
LB is right, you might as well do Ionics as you are in G2

There is a conflict with Deposed and Nova, you should complete Nova before loading Deposed in your add ons folder. Nova is a native mission within Oolite so it will trigger once you have purchased a GH. I think it is possible to do Deposed before Nova providing you don't buy a Gh, but as I said best to do Nova first.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

For coding reasons I set the Assassins OXP in G7, but there was also a play reason for doing so. As you start in G1, then:-

G1 contains:- The longway Mission, The Black Baron Mission & The Spy Hunter Mission. You will be contacted by the Military for the Constrictor Mission and make the jump to G2

G2 contains:- The Constrictor Mission and Ionics

G3 contains:- The Thargoid Plans.

G4 contains:- The Nova Mission, Depossed & Lovecats.

G5 contains:- The cloaking device Mission.

G6 is currently blank of Missions, but I am working on the WaspDrone missions (should be avaiable before Xmass).

G7 contains the Assassins Guild.

If you play though from G1 ultimatley, it should be possible to go from Harmless to Elite just doing missions!

Assassins will leave you with a plot teaser. I don't want to give to much away, but griff has sent me 5 new ships (for use in Assassins2), if anybody else out-there wants their ships to feature in a follow on PM me!
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

TGHC wrote:
LB is right, you might as well do Ionics as you are in G2
Doing Ionics right now.......well, I had to wait for a bit because I'd just bought a Hamadryad (which are a bit s**t (for combat) and had to save up to buy something with a bit more kick!!)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
G6 is currently blank of Missions, but I am working on the WaspDrone missions (should be avaiable before Xmass).
I knew it! you are a sadist!

On the subject of Assassins Guild, still on mission 13, but I have a Plan!!!

Whilst I think of it, I think the rewards are too high on the later missions, I know that repairs are expensive, but as it is if you get really battered it's cheaper to die and restart from your last saved game. Ok you might lose some cargo, and a few kills, but it saves on the expenses which can be very high. The golden rule is save save save, I always sell all my cargo before a major fight so if I get killed, no loss. You also don't have to buy new ECM's or energy bombs etc. and after all it's quicker

If you get to this stage of the mission you are probably deadly, and pretty flushed with credits so losing a few kills is not significant, but numerous expensive ship repairs are, and it's easier to avoid the repairs than to pay for them. There are certain times when you have to bite the bullet and have the repairs done because you want to save the game at that stage, but overall I think the rewards are too high when it is possible to avoid the costs of completing the mission.

The same applies to your legal status in Oolite proper, sell all your cargo, take on the Galcops and become a fugitive, and then use your escape pod to "clean" up.
It's a little bit of a cheat, but we all do it (don't we?)